THE BROWNS BOARD

Joe Thomas on Deflategate

MLD Woody

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Woodpecker is pecking and pecking again.

who told Brady he didn't have to turn over his phone? The owner of the Patriots?

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-refused-to-show-phone-for-nfl-deflated-balls-investigation-2015-5

Why would the owner of the Patriots tell Brady he doesn't have to turn over his phone?

The investigators in the Wells report asked for it, but told Brady no punishment would come from refusing to hand over the phone. Brady then later provided detailed logs of texts and phone calls. He even offered to help retrieve them from the phone company. The Union did not want Brady turning over the phone as it would have set a precedent they weren't looking to set.

The investigators weren't in charge of the suspension.

It gets worse and worse for Brasdy. The phone Brady used BEFORE he had one

destroyed on March 6th..... was never destroyed.

So, Brady lied when he said he does the phone destroying thing all the time.

And, logs of calls? There aren't message content in logs of calls. They said

they even tried to go retrieve the content of the messages. ha. Content of

txts would be saved? Of course not. Emails would still remain on a server.

I'm sure he would never haved used email for the deflate nonsense. He would

only have used txting, and the only content was on a destroyed phone.

Not buyin it.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/tom-brady-did-not-destroy-old-phone-before-deflategate/268646

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/tom-brady-turned-over-emails-cell-phone-records/268756

“To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested,” Brady wrote. “We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone.

1. Joe Thomas is right about the incident being blown out of proportion - but it allows the commish and the NFL to look "tough on crime" and do a little chest thumping.

2. The USFL once won a blockbuster suit in Federal Court against the NFL. Perhaps Brady will be able to piggyback on that.

all i know is if i'm a big bad MFer and captain of a team and i want to pick a fight with someone from the other team, i don't use some model citizen type clean as a whistle GQ married to super model loved by millions outside football guy to do it with. you might win on legality because legality is something written down but in the public eye you WILL be wearing shit soon after anything happens.

goodell=pontius pilate.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13494837/joe-thomas-cleveland-browns-backs-tom-brady-rips-nfl-witch-hunts

"I would equate what [Tom Brady] did to driving 66 [mph] in a 65 speed zone, and getting the death penalty."

Joe Thomas

On whether commissioner Roger Goodell overstepped his bounds and might have been on a witch hunt:

“Oh no doubt. I don’t know if he just doesn’t understand the game of football itself, or if there was a deeper motive to get (them) back for all the other rumors and suspicions of cheating that the Patriots have done. But if you’re going to suspend a guy for removing air from the football, to me it’s completely ridiculous.”

On his feelings on whether the Ted Wells report was fair:

“The league paid him.” (Thomas then compared the report to an “expert” witnesses being paid for testimony during criminal trials.)

Joe Thomas is a god, unless of course his opinion is different than mine.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13563723/jay-feely-tells-us-district-court-judge-richard-m-berman-new-york-jets-2009-k-ball-incident

Jay Feely describing a very similar incident where the league reacted in a very different way

I disagree that is was very similar. The guy was adding a brush to protect his fingers, not get a competitive advantage, so no reason to suspect Feeley.

Pats were deflating balls for competitive reasons ... NOT that I think it is a big deal, I find the whole thing laughable ... but not similar IMO.

Zombo

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13563723/jay-feely-tells-us-district-court-judge-richard-m-berman-new-york-jets-2009-k-ball-incident

Jay Feely describing a very similar incident where the league reacted in a very different way

How gay! So now you're using Touchy-Feely to get to your next episode of poor Tom Brady? They've already re-invented the tuck rule to benefit him and the Patriots almost like the NFL conveniently forgot about how far down field you could press WRs (AFC Championship Game where NE hosted Indy). Pretty strange how the NFL had to dig so deep to forget 1 rule existed while they had to dig even deeper to remember another rule they've rarely enforced as the playoffs are unfolding. In Cleveland, they don't erase things like "Red Right" or "The Fumble." If Tom Brady is fumbling the game away - totally different story.

Poor NE and Tom Brady!

Can we please stop all other NFL news for another 3-4 months so we can hear more about why poor NE needs to get away with this? And how exciting would an appeal be? Good Lord!

brady will be the face that takes down goodell.

even if the suspension is split by 2 games.....forever roger will still look like a piece of shit, if he doesn't already.

haters gotta hate.

Never happen. You know why? Rooney campaigned for him to get a heavy consensus of approval from 32 owners. In turn, Roger understands that so he remains forever obligated. After the Ray Rice thing, guess who stepped up first on behalf of Roger? Rooney.

Now let's look at a suspension getting reduced for L. Bell. First, the suspension was delayed from an event that took place in August of 2014. By delaying a suspension until 2015, it allowed Rooney's business to find help in FA during the offseason so it was problem solved way easier than doing it midseason when quality veteran help isn't nearly as plentiful. So? Pitt signs DeAngelo Williams (a former 1st round RB) and has enough time for Roger to re-think the length of suspension that could potentially impact his good friend Rooney's bottom line in the wins-losses column. The suspension was reduced just like it was for Ben Rapen. Joe Haden never got his suspension reduced so I can see the favoritism granted toward Rooney's investments.

I DO agree with you that Roger Goodfella is a piece of crap. Unfortunately, this can't compete with how much the shared revenue of 32 owners have increased exponentially via TV contracts under Roger's watch. Money has tendency to interfere with what's right and wrong.

I never disliked Brady. I just lost a lot of respect for him because he could have done this way better than he did before there was a passive aggressive suspension handed to him. All that could have been avoided with a fine he could have easily afforded or seeing a worst case scenario of 1 game.

It seems to me the choice will be between leaving the suspension as it is or dropping the suspension. If he broke the rules then how and why should you minimize the punishment? If he didn't why should he get any punishment at all?

WSS

Those are very good questions!

There was an extensive investigation or at least an attempt at one with a pretty sizable summary written. The guy that conducted it said Brady was very uncooperative. If there's nothing to hide - cooperation seems easy. Also, why throw away a cellphone if there's zero to hide? And to hear Robert Craft bellyaching about his poor franchise only makes this worse while 31 other NFL teams and fanbases are opening camp only to take a backseat to this highly avoidable situation.

Taking sides between Roger Goodfella and Tom Brady in this situation feels a lot like trying to take a side between Baltimore and Pittsburgh when they play. Both deserve to feel uncomfortable. Fancy lawyer tricks representing one of the wealthiest men in the Northeast doesn't change his level of cooperation from the get-go especially if there was zero to hide. If this whole crime is really as small as it is summarized by players and media - why be uncooperative OR resist saying "yeah, the air pressure is what I wanted it to be and I'm very sorry if I/we broke the rules." There were ways Brady could have done this better regardless of how sickening it is to see Roger getting passive aggressive on the punishment.

Get this thing down to 1-2 games already and be done with it.

Here is the Patriots problem.....it is not with Goodell or the fans.......it IS with the other 31 owners who think they are cheaters (primarily Belichick more so than Brady....TB is just the whipping boy)......so NO, Goodell is not going anywhere because he is essentially doing their bidding.

and if the judge upholds the letter of the law (bargaining agreement) then brady is fucked.

BUT

i think the judge is soooo disgusted that the 2 sides can't make a deal that he'll split it down the middle. brady will get 2 games, never admit to any guilt and the player's union will have a little more juice going forward.

BELIEVE me if there isn't something happening between owners and the player's union before too long we might be watching a film called 'the replacements'. don't think there might not be a stike looming in the future if goodell and the owners don't come down a notch or two.

i'll take your house now gipper.

What was that? Oh yea, we made a bet that I would give you my house if Phil Taylor was cut. Good bet on your part.

Only problem: I don't own a house. The only real estate interest I hold is a half interest in a timeshare. I could let you use it and send you on a trip.

Edit: In checking....I offer to send you to Nuevo Vallarta in September to stay in a studio....you don't need more than a studio do you?

(of course, you are responsible for your transportation etc.)

Second edit: I will sweeten the offer and include Acapulco, Orlando, Puerto Vallarta, Atlantic City, Grand Cayman, or Austria. Again, studios.

Those are very good questions!

There was an extensive investigation or at least an attempt at one with a pretty sizable summary written. The guy that conducted it said Brady was very uncooperative. If there's nothing to hide - cooperation seems easy. Also, why throw away a cellphone if there's zero to hide? And to hear Robert Craft bellyaching about his poor franchise only makes this worse while 31 other NFL teams and fanbases are opening camp only to take a backseat to this highly avoidable situation.

Taking sides between Roger Goodfella and Tom Brady in this situation feels a lot like trying to take a side between Baltimore and Pittsburgh when they play. Both deserve to feel uncomfortable. Fancy lawyer tricks representing one of the wealthiest men in the Northeast doesn't change his level of cooperation from the get-go especially if there was zero to hide. If this whole crime is really as small as it is summarized by players and media - why be uncooperative OR resist saying "yeah, the air pressure is what I wanted it to be and I'm very sorry if I/we broke the rules." There were ways Brady could have done this better regardless of how sickening it is to see Roger getting passive aggressive on the punishment.

Get this thing down to 1-2 games already and be done with it.

And here comes the court ruling. Beetlejuice Beetlejuice beetlejuice.

WSS

i love the way this was such a hot topic, almost political at times. people judging things and calling into question everything from integrity to physical cheating. big hawks. big eagles squawking.

yet when the final outcome appears, they disappear like a rat in a hole.

Archived