THE BROWNS BOARD

Who are the Ten Greatest Football Players in history

The Gipper

This will be a very hard task for you. Name the 10 Greatest players in NFL/pro football history. You could name just 10 QBs. But, here is my list, no order:

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Anthony Munoz

Lawrence Taylor

Don Hutson

Reggie White

Otto Graham

John Unitas

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

see how tough that was....and consider the names left off.

This will be a very hard task for you. Name the 10 Greatest players in NFL/pro football history. You could name just 10 QBs. But, here is my list, no order:

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Anthony Munoz

Lawrence Taylor

Don Hutson

Reggie White

Otto Graham

John Unitas

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

see how tough that was....and consider the names left off.

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Lawrence Taylor

Don Hutson

Otto Graham

Joe Montana

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Sammy Baugh

Walter Payton

Deacon Jones

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Dick "Nighttrain" Lane

Anthony Munoz

John Hannah

Lawrence Taylor

Reggie White

Ronnie Lott

John Mackey

Joe Montana

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Dick "Nighttrain" Lane

Anthony Munoz

John Hannah

Lawrence Taylor

Reggie White

Ronnie Lott

John Mackey

Joe Montana

I gave Lane, Lott and White serious consideration ... couldn't bring myself to include an offensive lineman.

Hard enough to determine who is best at their position over the different eras ... throw them all in one bowl and you are going to get hundreds of combos ... but I think Brown and Rice make everyone's list.

Zombo

Prominently left off is the old Browns nemesis, 4 time Superbowl winner Terry Bradshaw. Yeah he had great defenses, but he was also a clutch player. Put him on both QB list and all-time list.

PS-I like the Night Train pick Tour-one of my favorites off the streets of Austin.

I gave Lane, Lott and White serious consideration ... couldn't bring myself to include an offensive lineman.

Hard enough to determine who is best at their position over the different eras ... throw them all in one bowl and you are going to get hundreds of combos ... but I think Brown and Rice make everyone's list.

Besides my O-line bias, I'm reluctant to load up on a "glamor" position. Once I pick Joe, why do I need another QB? I know it's not really the question, but how can you have more than one "greatest" at a given position?

When you have prototypical players like Munoz and Hannah, just makes no sense to me to leave them off a list.

Ditto for players who redefined a position like Mackey and Lane.

Prominently left off is the old Browns nemesis, 4 time Superbowl winner Terry Bradshaw. Yeah he had great defenses, but he was also a clutch player. Put him on both QB list and all-time list.

PS-I like the Night Train pick Tour-one of my favorites off the streets of Austin.

Bradshaw is not a top ten QB let alone 10 ten player.

Zombo

Besides my O-line bias, I'm reluctant to load up on a "glamor" position. Once I pick Joe, why do I need another QB? I know it's not really the question, but how can you have more than one "greatest" at a given position?

When you have prototypical players like Munoz and Hannah, just makes no sense to me to leave them off a list.

That's why I prefer the "All-Time Team" format.

Zombo

Zombo

LT too probably

Munoz was my only OL....but I considered Hannah, but he didn't make the cut. Yea, my group is QB heavy.....but as we know...it is a quarterback's league.

I would not put him on Top Ten All positions list.....but I highly considered him for my QB list. The question is if you put him on....who do you take off. I know people want to dismiss the old timers like Baugh/Luckman.....but those guys were the Manning and Brady of their day.....and likely were every bit as good.

There are some real similarities there: Luckman won 4 titles...and was considered a bit more cerebral. Baugh won just one I believe but was considered better at certain aspects.

So....if you leave them off, then perhaps leave of Brady an Peyton? Which I didn't want to do.

The thing is.....this is the greatest of all time regardless of position. I mean, you wouldn't just put one outfielder in the Top Ten Baseball Player list

(and hey....feel free to put that on here as well)

I mean choose one single outfielder to put on your all time MLB list: Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Griffey Jr. etc. etc.

I just threw up in my mouth after reading this post. Bradshaw is NOWHERE close to being one of the greatest QBs, let alone players of all time.

No love for Butkus anybody?

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Lawrence Taylor

Don Hutson

Otto Graham

Joe Montana

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Sammy Baugh

Walter Payton

Deacon Jones

I agree with Deacon Jones

I would take Deacon Jones over Reggie White all day long

Biletnikoff must be a favorite of yours.....as good as he was, no one would really consider him 10 best of all time.

Only guy that may have had better hands IMHO is Steve Largent.

I also thought about Mean Joe Green, Ronnie Lott, and Brett Favre. Like you wrote, a real tough job to narrow down 10.

Otto Graham

Jim Brown

Jerry Rice

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Reggie White

Paul Warfield

Dick Butkus

Anthony Munoz

Kellen Winslow Sr.

Everyone should have Butkis on their list...he was like the JB of linebackers.

Anyone who has Graham on their list is just being a homer.

Graham wouldn't crack the top 10 in anyone's list outside of Cleveland.

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-25-greatest-nfl-players-of-all-time/hardtack?page=3

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/10-greatest-nfl-players-of-all-­time.html/?a=viewall

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-top-50-nos-1-10-jim-brown-greatest-time-article-1.2031278

Everyone should have Butkis on their list...he was like the JB of linebackers.Anyone who has Graham on their list is just being a homer.Graham wouldn't crack the top 10 in anyone's list outside of Cleveland.http://www.ranker.com/list/top-25-greatest-nfl-players-of-all-time/hardtack?page=3http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/10-greatest-nfl-players-of-all-­time.html/?a=viewallhttp://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-top-50-nos-1-10-jim-brown-greatest-time-article-1.2031278

Good God, you cant be serious.

Compare him statiscally to other QBs of his era.

You can even pretend he didnt lead his team to a championship game 10 times in ten years if that helps.

Z

Archived