THE BROWNS BOARD

Things last night proved

The Gipper

Here are some impressions from last nights game:

A. Thad Lewis is terrible....and if JMZ is going to be unreliable healthwise the Browns need a better backup QB. If Matt Cassell or RGIII or some other decent veteran gets let go this weekend, Browns need to serioulsy consider latching on to them and ditching Lewis.

B. Not that it is an excuse for Lewis's play, but our backup OL is not adequate at all. The starters should be great....but we need better behind them than this backup group has shown. Again....lets see what hits the waiver wire.

C. Our back end DBs are bad. The likes of Rankin, Feichter, Sanders I think can say Sayonara

D. Bowe is slow. He had tons of trouble getting separation it seemed. (Even if he could get open Lewis couldn't find him). I really would have preferred seeing him play with the first team.

On the positive: Meder had a good game. Pullard was always around the ball (Jesus....he looked tons better than D'Qwell Jackson ever did in that regard). West I thought play well for the most part.

Meder had an awesome preseason, Pet loves him.

Pullard plays like Brown too, so do we keep 5 inside linebackers in order to keep special teams Ace Tank Carder?

Tank could be in jeopardy.

Z

Tank is a proven special teams monster. So it boils down to if the staff believes Pullard's effective potential at being a part of the ILB rotation is greater than that of Carder's.

Fucking hell......you bring up a point.....could Brady Quinn be any worse now than Thaddy Lew? If Tebow can get a chance.....!

Yes, he could be,and is, worse than everybody in the NFL, which is why he is on TV.

Z

I still think that one of the Bronco's qb's let go...

could be a possibility, cause the Browns need to keep three...

and the third one ain't goin to be no Thad Lewis.

I've heard Kirskey and Carder have really stepped up, so that it's no longer really Dansby plus one other, it's Dansby & Kirksey, then either Robertson or Carder.

Could they keep them all? Dansby, Robertson, Kirksey, Carder, Pullard? 5 ILBs. Carder and Pullard would both be special teamers.

I don't see 3 QBs on our 53 and vets aren't PS eligible...

Watched NFL Access late last nite and Brian Billick was talking about Philly and Tebow. General point he made about a third QB was that he has to be a prospect you are developing and that can be done on a PS.

He added that a vet #3 never makes sense because you have to assume that if you ever get to your #3, then you are not looking at winning anyway, so you are better off using that spot for developing a position player.

Bottom line... some rookie is going to come free in final cuts that will be a decent PS option... and Thad is likely just a phone call away.

Watched NFL Access late last nite and Brian Billick was talking about Philly and Tebow. General point he made about a third QB was that he has to be a prospect you are developing and that can be done on a PS.

He added that a vet #3 never makes sense because you have to assume that if you ever get to your #3, then you are not looking at winning anyway, so you are better off using that spot for developing a position player.

Bottom line... some rookie is going to come free in final cuts that will be a decent PS option... and Thad is likely just a phone call away.

who are philly's 3 qbs? bradford barkley and tebow? where is the dirty sanchez? hell i'd rather have him than tbag lewis on the browns.

Tagging onto that I think the reason we keep Pryor is his development at WR AND the fact he can be #3 QB if we get desperate. Lewis just sent in his "goner" card last night.

Yes Thad was bad last nite but that OL that was to protect him and possibly block for a RB might have been even worst. Thad has never looked that bad and no way he did it on his own. (except that pryor lead block,LOL).

Barkley is likely getting the chop.

Yup... Sanchez is the firm #2. Not sure there will be a third, but no telling with Chip...

With Tebow... you could use a Sundial to time his pregressions...

Yes Thad was bad last nite but that OL that was to protect him and possibly block for a RB might have been even worst. Thad has never looked that bad and no way he did it on his own. (except that pryor lead block,LOL).

A lot of the bad....he did do on his own. The OL may have been bad....but he made them look worse by continually holding on to the ball......fumbling it....throwing it to the other team. Just bad.

I really think the Bowe signing was a huge mistake. I also agree he has lost a step or two and can't gain separation very well. Having said that they showed multiple replays last night where he was literally holding up a "hey I'm open throw me the damn ball sign". It would have been nice to see the effort with a better QB. It did look like he might be an ok possession guy.

Carder has been terrible any time he has been played as a linebacker. He's a special teams player, not an "ace" or anything near it

I'm not the only one to ever call him a special teams ace.

I believe that is his reputation and his reason for being on the team thus far through three head coaches.

He won an award for it last year.

Zombo

Pullard just seems to have the football instincts bigtime.

Carder has been impressive on ST's,,, but I still remember some of his

boneheaded penalties.

Goin to be interesting.

Thad Lewis is no way good enough to be the backup. McCown hurt his finger last year and was in and out and at least they had Glennon. A 36 yr. old backup is a scary thing to start a season with Manziel's potential problem. McCown ain't mobile and I don't see him playing a full year. Maybe half.

Drop Thad Lewis now and at least get EJ Manuel.

Terrence West looks like Trent Richardson, I hope I am wrong.

Also John Gruden said that Manziel's elbow is not a good sign at all. Especially since no one knew he's had problems since high school.

Brother

I believe that is his reputation and his reason for being on the team thus far through three head coaches.

Zombo

No doubt he has survived, but I have never seen him make an impact play and I have been charting the team for two seasons. I think the term "ace" is overblown, and wasn't referring strictly to you calling him that.

Pullard is a better overall player than him and I hope he gets that spot, because I think he's irrelevant

Zombo

His blocked punt for a Safety vrs TN was a huge momentum swing in an epic comeback on the road. That said, I couldn't tell you what he projects as a LBer.

As we get better, we're going to need some of these STs guys like Bademosi, Carder, and even Moore to show they can also be reliable in our rotation or as a fill in. This preseason, Moore showed me he's willing to block, get open and catch the ball. Bademosi can line up at Safety or Corner; but I'm not sold he does either well enough to be reliable. The good news for him is there isn't a lot of vets that start who like to be a punt team gunner staring into the teeth of an aggressive double-press at the line of scrimmage. He's really impressive in that role so he's unique enough for our coaching staff to like. Unfortunately, that reality makes it more difficult on the next guy trying to make it exclusively for a STs role. We also usually have a long snapper taking another spot without offering us anything on either side of the ball.

No doubt he has survived, but I have never seen him make an impact play and I have been charting the team for two seasons. I think the term "ace" is overblown, and wasn't referring strictly to you calling him that.

Pullard is a better overall player than him and I hope he gets that spot, because I think he's irrelevant

This one is going to be interesting with coaches thinking they can prolly stash Pullard on the practice squad.

I agree Tank ain't much of a LB, which tells me Tabor loves him as a ST and that's why he keeps making the roster.

Pullard looks like a keeper and the Browns would probably like to keep him on PS and get another year out of Tank on ST ... but do they take that risk of cutting Pullard? I'm projecting NO ... I think Pullard stays and Tank goes, but it will be interesting to see.

I actually saw one projection with both cut and only 3 inside LBs on the roster. I assume that person thinks Pullard can be stashed on PS and activated in case of injury.

Personally, I wouldn't expose him.

Zombo

Archived