THE BROWNS BOARD

53... and now what? Roster Analysis... Something doesn't add up

Tour2ma

I read somewhere yesterday that if they sign a vet before week one money has to be guaranteed.

I have a feeling they will run week one with Draughn (who didn't have a cast on yesterday) activated and the FB as the 3rd string if Duke can't go, and sign someone week 2.

I thought Draughn was on the PS. They cannot activate someone from the PS, if I am not mistaken.....without keeping him on the 53 man roster the rest of the year.

Isn't that so? They can't just yoyo guys between the PS and the regular roster from week to week, can they?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Draughn was on the PS. They cannot activate someone from the PS, if I am not mistaken.....without keeping him on the 53 man roster the rest of the year.

Isn't that so? They can't just yoyo guys between the PS and the regular roster from week to week, can they?

Pretty sure they can. If you sign someone from another team's PS they have to be on your roster for (I think) 3 weeks, which is how we got stuck with an injured Charles Johnson taking up a space with his torn ACL a while back. Not sure if that applies to your own PS.

Ya, I'm not sure how that works really.

But I also read that Joe Thomas said that before Draughn's hurt his thumb, he would have been in talks to be the lead back as far as he was concerned. That would be a pretty good endorsement in my book.

Here is what I found for the practice squad...

"Practice-squad players are allowed to practice with the team throughout the season, but can't play in games unless they are called up to the 45-man game day roster. A player can be signed by another team at any time, provided the new team is going to place the man on their active roster. The only time a practice-squad member can't jump to an active roster is when the upcoming opponent tries to sign him within five days of the game (nine on a bye week)."

Above from the SB Nation article? Not bad as far as it goes.

Very hard to find a good, concise article on PSs. Here's a fresh one that introduces the concept of "accrued seasons"...

Practice Squad
A player is eligible for the Practice Squad if he has fewer than three practice squad seasons (a PS season = on the PS for at least six weeks) and one of the two following apply to him the player does not have an accrued season of credit or the player does have an accrued season but he was on the 46-player active roster for fewer than nine regular season games during each accrued season. A team can have 10 such PS players at any time.

Of course it had to also throw in the new PS "exemption rule"...

There is also a new Practice Squad exception rule of (sic) which a team may have two players. The exception is for players who do not have more than two accrued seasons and who have fewer than three practice squad seasons.

Anyway...

Accrued Seasons
Accrued Seasons determine a players free agency designations (Art. 8, Sec. 1, 34).
In order to accrue a season, a player must be on (or should have been on) full pay status for six or more regular season games.

Of course this came into play Week 17 last year when Gordon was deactivated for game 16.

Still looking for summary of rules governing moves between PS and 53... and back...

Archived