THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Austin Davis a Brown

WalterWhite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

HA!.........I say neverrrrr.....

In all my years of Browns drafts(which are many), Ive never seen an influx of college manlove like we saw this past year....

completely unprecedented.....

I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF. If anyone had a group of sub par receivers as bad as us it was St Louis. With that if you prorate his stat line to a full season he would have ranked in at 3rd highest in passing yards with 3560 yds. and 3rd in TD's with 21 . His TD to INT ratio would have been 21/16 so a definite need to improve. I haven't watched tape to see but surely running for his life had to contribute to that.

There are folks including Farr who think the kids legit. Its a shame he wasnt in camp from day one.

I think Austin is a great pick up. He played last year behind the 2nd worst OL in all of football according to PFF.

And our starter was behind the worst?

Not disagreeing... I like Austin as well...

I thought our McCown brother was behind worst at TB last year giving us refugees from behind the two worst.

Not disagreeing... I like Austin as well...

I thought our McCown brother was behind worst at TB last year giving us refugees from behind the two worst.

My bad LOL totally forgot he was with TB last year. Yes they were ranked at 25 so he definitely had some issues too. I am still surprised they signed a QB considering we kept Pryor. It almost lends itself to the theory that perhaps JFF is actually hurt worse than they let on and headed to at least short term IR

In all my years of Browns drafts(which are many), Ive never seen an influx of college manlove like we saw this past year....

How many Heisman winners from schools with 50,00 people have we drafted in the message board era?

How long until Southern Mississippi fans start finding us?

Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

Not long, guess I'm the first one. Glad to see AD land somewhere that has really hasn't had a QB that stands out for a while. He is used to being the underdog, went to Southern Miss on a baseball scholly and decided to walk on as a QB instead and became the 4 year starter. Broke most of the records that Brett Favre set at Southern Miss. He is as solid a QB as you will find, very cerebral, doesn't give up on plays and isn't injury prone. His weaknesses are the deep ball and had a game or two that he couldn't hit his rhythm. Since I'm from South MS, being a Browns fan hasn't really ever crossed my mind but if he finds a place with you, I guess I'll be wearing new colors.

I was surprised that he was available. Not that he's great, but in a QB starved league, he played decent last year for the Rams. Must have had a bad camp or Jeff Fisher wasn't happy with him.

Guess I'm the second USM fan to the forum. I have known Austin since his high school days and I am a life long souther miss fan. I am proud Austin has landed with you guys. He was never given a fair chance in St. Louis most obviously this year. After putting up decent stats with a poor OL and no running game the Rams were hell bent to bring Keenum back and basically handed the back up job this year. Davis only threw five passes in preseason this year with very few practice reps. He was kept in camp till final cuts as insurance if one of qbs were injured. Long story short he was screwed by fisher and rams brass. There is no real advantage to Keenum. If you have nothing else, Davis is a legit and quality back up. As stated above he is a cerebral Qb that is accurate with his passes. From my understanding, the browns had interest in Austin back in the spring. I wish he had been in camp from day one instead of going back to the soon to be Los Angeles Rams. There was interest from a couple of teams during pre season one of those being philly. I think Austin can flourish with a team with a steady run game and protection. I hope he can catch on with the Browns and was not brought in until Manziel gets healthy. Look forward to keeping up with the browns.

Davis will push JM to get even better or ?'s. After week 8 things could be interesting around here with 5 division games left.. Davis should be more than ready by then and Shaw maybe done here unless JM is done first. Good competition is a good thing and go A&M :o;)

I'm pleased with Davis. Not as a starter, but he looked pretty solid for the Rams last year, with a positive TD:Int ration, and decent completion percentage - much better than Thad. If JM can't step up, Davis is a solid #2. If, in 3 months JM is the starter, Davis is a solid #2 and McCown can go.

How many Heisman winners from schools with 50,00 people have we drafted in the message board era?

Zero.....which does not change my statement one iota.......nor does it have any bearing on what I said.....big school heisman winners get picked every single year(somewhere) and those cities dont inherit the insanity that followed the JM pick....

To me(us), JFF was just the third 1st round QB we picked in the last 5 years(Quinn Weeden Manziel).....all picked in the early 20's.....making them all the same to me.....just late first round QB's.......(if he was so amazing, the truth is that he woulda been picked earlier....plain and simple)....

And, as we've said a million times, winning the heisman doesnt really mean a thing.....just ask Andre Ware, Tim Tebow, Danny Wueffel, Eric Crouch, Gino Torretta, Chris Weinke, Jason White...

OH.......and Troy Smith(who is an OSU Heisman winning QB)(and didnt have a gaggle of goobers following and ranting about his uber greatness)(guaranteed).....

soooo.....it was what it was......an over the top, completely annoying, very gay influx of unprecedented manlove for a very questionable pick we made one season......(and we pick players in the first round....every single year)(really...we do).....

So, in summary, I stand by what I said......paint it however you want....

.....big school heisman winners get picked every single year(somewhere) and those cities dont inherit the insanity that followed the JM pick....

LOL! Next time you come to Texas during football season I will take you to a game so you can see why the Seahawks pay us every year to "rent" the 12th man usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUxFE2oJ-M

And since that game was played we now have an enclosed bowl so it is now twice as loud as it was when the Texas QB had to outwait us.

Insanity? Understatement of the year when it comes to A&M Football @ Kyle.

LOL! Next time you come to Texas during football season I will take you to a game so you can see why the Seahawks pay us every year to "rent" the 12th man usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUxFE2oJ-M

And since that game was played we now have an enclosed bowl so it is now twice as loud as it was when the Texas QB had to outwait us.

No one gives a fuck about Texas A & M

There is a college forum here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4

And a thread about our backup QB here: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?s=95894367699a84394f283f76a4328ef5&showtopic=37831

Doesn't A&M have male cheer leaders? Mike Leach had a gem about it.

"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

I like the Davis signing and the restraint being shown so far in views of his promise.

Doesn't A&M have male cheer leaders? Mike Leach had a gem about it.

"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

First, they are yell leaders, not cheerleaders.

Second, A&M was all-male until 1963.

Third, it has the largest ROTC program in the country.

I get that it and A&M's traditions are not easy to get. Despite friends and co-workers in Houston area trying repeatedly to explain them to me, I did not get them until my daughter decided to go there.

You cannot swing a dead cat in Texas without hitting a "former student"... that is an alumnus to the rest of us.

I like the Davis signing and the restraint being shown so far in views of his promise.

First, they are yell leaders, not cheerleaders.

Second, A&M was all-male until 1963.

Third, it has the largest ROTC program in the country.

I get that it and A&M's traditions are not easy to get. Despite friends and co-workers in Houston area trying repeatedly to explain them to me, I did not get them until my daughter decided to go there.

You cannot swing a dead cat in Texas without hitting a "former student"... that is an alumnus to the rest of us.

Did they mention the unwritten law that you have to worship short, underprepared QBs from the school who go pro?

I will be attending a football game in Texas on November 7th. My game starts at 1:00....how about yours?

Can I get to College Station from SA in time?

Archived