THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns showing interest in Monte Ball

Kvoethe

Report: Montee Ball fielding interest from Browns, Broncos

Sep 9 2015, 6:28 PMArun Srinivasan

Montee Ball is speaking with the Cleveland Browns and a host of unnamed clubs, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Northeast Ohio Media Group.

Ball went unclaimed after being released by the Denver Broncos on Sunday. The Broncos are one of the teams speaking to him, Cabot says.

One of the most prolific collegiate runners in history, Ball's early success didn't translate to the professional level. He was selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft by Denver but failed to live up to lofty expectations.

The former Wisconsin star was placed on injured reserve after suffering a groin injury in Week 5 against the Arizona Cardinals. He rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown on 55 carries last season, watching C.J. Anderson seize the starting role permanently.

He ran behind a huge and hugely talented O-line at Wisc. in a run oriented offense (see Ark. now). Overrated back.

Well.....maybe we should stick to taking RBs from Oklahoma and Cal. Four of the Top Ten RBs likely come from those two schools:

Marshawn Lynch/Justin Forsett: Cal

Adrian Peterson/DeMarco Murray: Oklahoma

Leveon Bell: Mich. St.

LeSean McCoy: Pitt

Matt Forte: Tulane

Alfred Morris: Florida Atlantic

Arian Foster: Tennessee

Frank Gore: Miami Fla.

Eddie Lacy: Alabama

(we sure as hell do not want to rely on Alabama RBs....they have the same issues as Wisconsin RBs.)

For a third running back I want a guy that wants to play special teams, is familiar with our playbook and knows the blocking assignments if called into action ... So I think Draughns is a better fit than Ball.

Zombo

For a third running back I want a guy that wants to play special teams, is familiar with our playbook and knows the blocking assignments if called into action ... So I think Draughns is a better fit than Ball.

Zombo

All true....but still, it would nice to have an upgrade over Draughn.....though I am not sure there is a guy out there.

What is the story with Jay Ajayi......did he stick with who drafted him? ( or was he injured)

Archived