THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

Your offense is not the question. With all your pieces back from their hiatuses it has the potential to be the top yardage O in the league... but it's going to have to top scoring for the team to be competitive. Yeah, I think this is pretty obvious at this point.

Pats took foot off the accelerator in the 2nd half.

A QB distracted throughout pre-season played catch with wide-open WRs through 3/4's... completing 18 in a row at one point.

A future hall of famer who some say is the best ever who happened to be highly motivated due to said distraction and at home following a Super Bowl winning season played catch....you could say as well.

An RB that a strong sneeze can knock down put 70 on you... mostly between the OTs... behind three interior, O-line rookies!

The kid had a good game I guess but your description sounds like that of a jilted Browny jealous he had success for someone other than your team.

What pieces are returning to your D-side? I think there is a DC somewhere in TN that saw this year coming.

I think everyone can agree the defense is less than what it's been, but as I've stated before on this board it's rebuilding and very young. They're going to take their lumps as they learn together. Nothing profound there, it's just what it is. for Christ's sake they played Tom Brady at home last night. Do they need personnel improvements in the secondary? Yeah, but they tried to address that in the draft. Unfortunately their second round pick is on the IR and the slot corner they traded for hasn't picked up the defense enough to play yet apparently.

Black and Gold fans are not used to this style. Gonna be a long season in PTG...

Again, it was the first game of the year against the defending champs at home. They gave up 28 points. They had a guy inexplicably step out of bounds on a gimme touchdown, they missed 2 makeable field goals, didn't cover the best TE in football, and apparently had communication issues on the sideline. I think I'll still watch the rest of the games.

Keep the Tums handy...

No doubt. It will be entertaining if nothing else.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TFD, some Carolina reality. I was very impressed with what D low gave you last night but with 10lbs weight loss may have got his speed back but the durability with dings will add on him fast with injuries than the true money wuss will show up. Consider yourself f'in lucky to have Bell back in 2 and not 4 cause D low won't be around. you got it here first.

TFD, some Carolina reality. I was very impressed with what D low gave you last night but with 10lbs weight loss may have got his speed back but the durability with dings will add on him fast with injuries than the true money wuss will show up. Consider yourself f'in lucky to have Bell back in 2 and not 4 cause D low won't be around. you got it here first.

So far so good. If he stays healthy he'll be a nice compliment to Bell. I didn't expect them/him to run like that. I figured it would be a shootout with each team throwing it 50 times. I think any Steeler fan would admit they were pleasantly surprised. He's a hard runner with good vision and patience. Hopefully they won't need him to do that again after next week.

An RB that a strong sneeze can knock down put 70 on you... mostly between the OTs... behind three interior, O-line rookies!

The kid had a good game I guess but your description sounds like that of a jilted Browny jealous he had success for someone other than your team.

Guess again... liked Lewis, but did not shed a single tear when we cut him.

Anyway major point which you seem to have missed was a back-up, UDFA Rookie Center flanked by a Rookie LG and a Rookie RG sprang him for that 70-spot. And to get those yards he had to be sprung "clean".

Guess again... liked Lewis, but did not shed a single tear when we cut him.

Anyway major point which you seem to have missed was a back-up, UDFA Rookie Center flanked by a Rookie LG and a Rookie RG sprang him for that 70-spot. And to get those yards he had to be sprung "clean".

since when is a 70-spot a big deal? We sure are spending a lot of time talking about a rb who had a decent game...70yds. That doesn't feel like something I should be all that impressed with. I'll give him credit, I don't know what else you expect me to say. I think I've been pretty clear with what I think of the defense and so have you. It's not a top unit by any measure to this point. What else do you want me to say? Want me to say the Steelers are doomed and won't win another game? Do you want me to rate them worst in the league? What is it?

since when is a 70-spot a big deal? We sure are spending a lot of time talking about a rb who had a decent game...70yds. That doesn't feel like something I should be all that impressed with. I'll give him credit, I don't know what else you expect me to say. I think I've been pretty clear with what I think of the defense and so have you. It's not a top unit by any measure to this point. What else do you want me to say? Want me to say the Steelers are doomed and won't win another game? Do you want me to rate them worst in the league? What is it?

His longest run was 13 yds. He had some good moves, made people miss, broke some tackles. Did I miss anything?

Because I am knowledgeable, insightful, and am aware of the competition they face. These two DLs would not rank in the top half of DLs in the league....particularly the AFC. Overall Steelers DL is probably #4 in AFCN, Same is probably true for Pats.

And your most redeeming quality is your humility. Maybe we should withhold judgement until midseason when we have a sample size.

You are welcome to make your next return to these boards at that point.

7. What's average? What does that mean? Did you see Shazier flying around last night? I saw him make one good play.

Then you weren't paying attention.

Apparently neither was the camera. Other than the one play...if you have highlights...post them.

Did you see Jarvis Jones applying constant pressure? No. Because he didn't . Again, I saw one good play

Again, you weren't paying attention.

Well....I saw Brady nearly set an NFL record for consecutive completions (I think he was two short of the record). I saw him standing back there all day finding receivers against all that non-existant "pressure"

Did James Harrison abuse their left tackle? That's what I saw. You are seeing things through piss colored glasses. I didn't see him "abuse" anyone. I saw him hand fighting with that OT a lot.

James Harrison played well. You just happen to look through shit (Browns) colored glasses. Brady gets rid of the ball in most cases in well under 2.5 seconds. Pressure was applied, but Brady was Brady. Harrison made the tackle look like he was on skates. Admittedly, it didn't matter in hindsight.

Well, I am watching the screen...and watching where the ball is going usually....and yea...it was going out of Brady's hand very quickly. But I saw Harrison hand fighting like I said....and the tackle was handling him as much as he was handling the tackle.

Hell, Bud Dupree got a sack on his first play of his career. New England had 80yds rushing.

Dupree did do that...did he do much else? Yeah, he didn't cover Gronk on previously mentioned big play down the hash. Was he supposed to? If you judge by the reaction from Tomlin in Dupree's ear after the play he probably should have. He's a rookie, I give him a passing grade for his first game.

Sure.

Well, Brady and Gronk are great players....but I am not sure that overall the Pats are a great team. I think they are vulnerable because their OL is in flux...and so is their defense. They may have the worst defense in that division....same as the Steelers in their. We will see.

Sure.

since when is a 70-spot a big deal?

Since it is done by a guy that hasn't played in the league in lieke 2-3 years with a broken leg.

We sure are spending a lot of time talking about a rb who had a decent game...70yds. That doesn't feel like something I should be all that impressed with. I'll give him credit, I don't know what else you expect me to say.

See above....plus the fact that the Pats at one point threw for like 15 plays in a row, and really didn't run the ball much at all.....70 yards is a pretty good performance...yes, decent.

I think I've been pretty clear with what I think of the defense and so have you. It's not a top unit by any measure to this point. What else do you want me to say? Want me to say the Steelers are doomed and won't win another game? Do you want me to rate them worst in the league? What is it?

Probably not worst in the league.....their "Triplets" are too good.....and yes....I give credit to your OL coach for getting a bunch of average guys (with Pouncey out) to over achieve. They did not play the best of defenses out there. I think between the AFCN and the AFCE....these two teams may have the worst defensive talent. (but the best QBs) But one team has a proven so called defensive genius (Belichick)....the other, not so proven.

Trying to give you objective points of view here:

A. First....a few things that were no secrets.

1. No surprise: Brady is one of the best ever. BR also outstanding. (but Brady better)

2. Gronk and Brown are among the best in the league at what they do.

then these:

3. Steelers need to get Martavis Bryant back....as Wheaton was doing his best Quincy Morgan imitation...dropping half the balls thrown his way.

4. DeAngelo Williams is an adequate replacement....but don't get too hyped up Steeler fans because of the following:

5. The offensive lines of both these teams are adequate at best. Oh....they looked OK....but that may have been because of the quality of what they were facing...or lack thereof...and because of the quality of the QBs they were protecting:

6. The DLs of both the Pats and Steelers in my opinion would rank at best in the lower part of the third quatrile of Defensive lines in the league...i.e. definitely well below average.

7. The Linebacking corps of both teams is average at best

8. The Defensive backfields of both team are terrible....but the Steelers are a bit more terrible.

Face it, these teams are good because they have two of the best QBs in the game....and that is important, plus a couple of other quality offensive skill players.. But I see both of them being seriously challenged to retain their division titles this year. The Pats are more likely to do so because they don't have the competition the Steelers have from within their division.

Oh the voice of reason has spoken. Please everyone pack up your comment cards. Lol. New defensive coordinator and a scheme change. We traded for Brandon Boykin and he didnt even play last night because he's still learning the defense. Passing any sort of judgement after week 1 is short sighted. The steelers very well could have won that game with the defense in transition. We also don't need to get all caught up in Williams as bell is back after next week.

Because I am knowledgeable, insightful, and am aware of the competition they face. These two DLs would not rank in the top half of DLs in the league....particularly the AFC. Overall Steelers DL is probably #4 in AFCN, Same is probably true for Pats.

And your most redeeming quality is your humility. Maybe we should withhold judgement until midseason when we have a sample size.

You are welcome to make your next return to these boards at that point.

Well gees, thanks. I'll be around if it's ok with you.

7. What's average? What does that mean? Did you see Shazier flying around last night? I saw him make one good play.

Then you weren't paying attention.

Apparently neither was the camera. Other than the one play...if you have highlights...post them.

C'mon man, don't get silly. Shazier was covering a lot of ground last night. If you didn't see it you weren't looking.

Did you see Jarvis Jones applying constant pressure? No. Because he didn't . Again, I saw one good play

Again, you weren't paying attention.

Well....I saw Brady nearly set an NFL record for consecutive completions (I think he was two short of the record). I saw him standing back there all day finding receivers against all that non-existant "pressure"

Standing back there all day? No pressure? Smoke crack much? Did you even watch the game? It wasn't a question of pressure, it was Brady and his quick timing offense. It's tough to get to him. There was pressure and plenty of it. Part of why I'm not as down on this defense as I was in the preseason.

The ballboys seeded the clouds, but Buttichek and Brady

had absolutely nothing to do with it, they promise....

and no, you can't have the NFL investigate because they destroyed

their cell phones... and the ballboys are in hiding.....

BREAKING NEWS: The NFL is officially investigating allegations made by the Pittsburgh Steelers that it rained harder on the Steelers sideline then it did on the Patriots sideline. This is leading some experts to speculate that maybe the Patriots have a hand in global climate change.

BREAKING NEWS: The NFL is officially investigating allegations made by the Pittsburgh Steelers that it rained harder on the Steelers sideline then it did on the Patriots sideline. This is leading some experts to speculate that maybe the Patriots have a hand in global climate change.

If there was a way to make it rain harder on their opponents sideline you can bet your ass they'd do it.

Ha!

Gotta say....they were a little extra whiny after that loss....

The headset interference had nothing to do with the loss and probably didn't affect their communication at all. They've admitted it. But it sure does seem just a tiny bit more than coincidental that it happened. Almost like the Patriots were flipping everyone the bird. Maybe, just maybe a little gamesmanship.

Bill is so deep in league heads, now led by the Steelers, it ain't even funny.

Pet handled the whole "Patspiracy" trend beautifully in his Friday presser...

Cmon, man. Trolling For Dick is the only Steeler fan that can talk. No one else showed their face this week. Don't be a coward all your life, it's unbecoming.

Z

Why should he be able to talk. They lost just like we did. And I don't believe the Pats will even be a contender this season. Keep you heads up guys, our team will be ok. Of course, we need our starting QB back. JM just isnt getting it done, just like last season.

Gotta disagree dude. "They admitted it didn't affect their communication at all"? No, they said exactly the OPPOSITE: that the headsets were blaring Boston Top 40 Radio so loudly, it hurt to even put the sets on. Tomlin said he couldn't communicate with his coaches for a good part of the first half. Also, Tomlin never said they lost because of this, contrary to hater opinion. He was just ticked this happened in the first place, and said what about a zillion others have said before: this always seems to happen in Foxborough.

Look, I'm all for saying the headset gaffe didn't cause the loss. So let's put that aside for a minute. I'm just saying the league's weather excuse doesn't hold up for a couple of reasons. First, the whole point of the NFL paying a zillion dollars for a digitally-based system was to stop these kinds of snafus, which ARE possible with the old analog systems. When you run a digital system you can't blame weather or grounding for things going haywire. That's a crock.

Secondly, it sure as heck doesn't explain why the Steelers headsets would mysteriously start working again every time the league official would go over to the Patriots sideline to tell them they had to take off their sets too. THAT'S the part that stinks, not just that the headsets went out. Yeah, nothing odd that this didn't happen to the Patriots headsets too huh?

And no doubt this was the Patriots rubbing it in everyone's face. Some judge ruled that Goodell has no power, and the Patriots don't even bother to hide their hijinks anymore. It's like, so what, what are you gonna do, suspend us? Bwahaha!

But hey, cheaters gonna cheat, you just have to deal with it.

I remember this happening to the Jags when Del Rio was coaching them during playoff time. Jags had to signal in the plays by hand and the Pats D just seemed to know exactly what play was being ran.

Then again, the Pats didn't get punished for taping signals until the 3rd time they were caught, each time being told to stop.

The Pats are to cheating as the Steelers are to roids and hgh.

I remember this happening to the Jags when Del Rio was coaching them during playoff time. Jags had to signal in the plays by hand and the Pats D just seemed to know exactly what play was being ran.

Then again, the Pats didn't get punished for taping signals until the 3rd time they were caught, each time being told to stop.

The Pats are to cheating as the Steelers are to roids and hgh.

...as the Browns are to poopoo

Cmon, man. Trolling For Dick is the only Steeler fan that can talk. No one else showed their face this week. Don't be a coward all your life, it's unbecoming.

Z

Why would anyone hit this board after a loss? Or a win for that matter. I don't come here for either. Anyone that does is trolling.

Archived