THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 5 Defense? LMFAO!

ITHIKA

We saw Haden/Williams get beat regularly. Along with Gipson getting beat by Decker while playing zone. He also got stripped trying to run the int back he had. We saw nill for a pass rush even when blitzing and bringing 6. Im not sure if Fitzpatrick was even hurried on 1 play. We saw a run defense pick up right where they left off last season. All of this versus a journeymen QB and subpar offense. The one thing i was sure of was that this defense would be very good. Wow was i wrong!

They looked just like they always look.

Can't stop the run and the cb's are overrated

No pass rush, and they don't set the edge on running plays

We cannot set the edge! Game over!

Well it depends on what you consider top 5.

If you can consider top 5 in yards allowed and points scored against then we're in there!

Seriously though, I was pretty disappointed. We couldn't penatrate, stuff the run or seal the edges. To top it off, even when the secondary looked good they still screwed it up (like the Gibson int).

I'm not going to slit my wrists, but I will generalize my greatest disappointment with the team.

I was shocked at how unprepared, undisciplined and basic the team looked. The offensive system, let alone game plan, is as basic as any high school team in my neck of the woods. I hoped Flip was something else, but I appear to be wrong. It had absolutely nothing to do with the QB going down, or our perceived "lack of play makers" either...... I'm talking system and play calling.

As for the defense, I bought into O'Neil's talk all off season and it ended up being just that.... talk. I saw no improvement from last year in any way shape or form.

Special teams looked NFL caliber good - Really good.

So to sum it up for me, I was most disappointed in the coaching, and I can't believe I'm typing that because I really like Pet.

On the positive side, besides special teams, I was also pleasantly surprised with how prepared Johnny looked. Not great by any means, but he seems to be getting better.

Mariota is beating the Bucs 35-7 right now before the half. Terrence West got the ball at the goal line and was stuffed. That made me feel good.

I'm still in shock over the Browns lack of anything. Ryan Fitzpatrick? Looks like they're going to miss Ruben, Skrine and Sheard after all.

I turned off the TV and hopped on my mountain bike with 8 minutes to go in the 4th. Life is way too short to let something I can't control ruin my day.

Only thing that makes me mad is Marshall has literally made a career off pushing off and that was no different today. It makes it harder to play the position that's for sure.

lol the only thing that should make you mad about Marshall is that we could have had him for a 5th round pick!! Instead we paid Rays friend Bowe $9MM to sit on his ass all preseason and be inactive for the opener. F'ing pathetic.

My younger brothers neighbors called the cops because he was screaming so loud. Guess they thought he was beating his wife. I don't let it get to me so much anymore. Fuck it.

When I was young I used to scream!! Now I'm old and all screamed out. Tell your Bro thanks!

You can pin the majority of this loss on the defense. The offense gave us what we thought. Johnny showed a little something but didn't wow anybody. The defense is what was supposed to hold games close. This will be a bottom tier defense yet again. And I agree with some of the previous posters, are edges are a joke...Kruger is a lost cause. Whatever condition it was when he was with Blt, that's over. I suspect Blt kept him around 280 and didn't ask much else of him except to beat his man....since he's come here we've yo-yo'd his weight around. He's a 4-3 DE which is what Blt used him as. Soloman wasn't any better either. None of our edges can get off their blocks whatsoever. It would be nice to have consistent interior LB'er play so that RB's were forced to bounce right into the OLB'ers....but I see other teams edges now being able to pinch their guys in and disrupt the momentum of the play even if it goes to the inside. We just don't have that. Frankly i'd be fine if Pettine fire saled these guys after the season, they can't do what is needed to be even decent in this leage let alone elite.

And Pettine knows what elite is, thsoe guys in Buffalo are mostly who was there when he was. That front 4 in Buffalo just does things our gys have no hope of doing. I'd rather fire sale and get young but build around guys that have a chance of being able to execute the kind of defense we know Pettine is able to put together.

Well it depends on what you consider top 5.

If you can consider top 5 in yards allowed and points scored against then we're in there!

Seriously though, I was pretty disappointed. We couldn't penatrate, stuff the run or seal the edges. To top it off, even when the secondary looked good they still screwed it up (like the Gibson int).

Who is Gibson?

We're just not deep enough (read that too many TE's and not enough DL's) to compete in the second half. There is also an organizational problem when so many TE's are carried while letting go of the one receiver that is fast and tall enough to be a real threat, albeit new to his position. Letting TP go was a big mistake.

As always, you can't pin an entire game on the D when your offense gives up 5 turnovers... and only scores 10 points...

Sure, the run D fell apart in the 2nd half, but to be fair they weren't exactly put in the best situations for success...

Typical Browns ... lacking on offense, but blame the defense...

I'm glad I didn't waste a beautiful afternoon watching those clowns lose yet again.

well i'm sure the guys at the beach loved that you were there again parading around in your black open mesh swim trunks you greek fuck.

here's an olive.

Archived