THE BROWNS BOARD

Marcus Mariota is Terrible

Tim Couch Pulls Out

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't pretend to know what this post means, but last I looked the Titans took Marcus with the 2nd pick of the draft, which they and they alone possessed. Are you saying that the Browns should have offered an RG3 / Ricky Williams like bounty to jump up to #2 to take the QB?

Not sure what Marcus has to do with the Browns.

If he plays like that all year I will sack up and admit I was wrong. We should have tried to trade the farm so to speak. There should be plenty in line with me if he continues to play at the level he showed today.

In the all important dress rehearsal game #3, didn't we score 17 against the Bucs one half?

I think the point is: if you're Tampa right now you have to be wondering. They're booing Winston who looks like he needs time to develop. I thought Mariota would be the project and Winston the more NFL ready. Wrong!

No matter: both these guys will be fine.

As for us: Manziel will need to play before I say anything. I need to see more.

Manziel will need to play before I say anything. I need to see more.

You need to see more? Let me tell you how it will go, standing in the pocket for about .3 seconds cause he can't see over the line, a bunch of fumbles cause he thinks holding the ball with one hand is good enough, toss in a few interceptions and that's a world class performence for ole Johnny Cocaine

You need to see more? Let me tell you how it will go, standing in the pocket for about .3 seconds cause he can't see over the line, a bunch of fumbles cause he thinks holding the ball with one hand is good enough, toss in a few interceptions and that's a world class performence for ole Johnny Cocaine

You're an idiot. He was about the only bright spot today.

I don't pretend to know what this post means, but last I looked the Titans took Marcus with the 2nd pick of the draft, which they and they alone possessed. Are you saying that the Browns should have offered an RG3 / Ricky Williams like bounty to jump up to #2 to take the QB?

Not sure what Marcus has to do with the Browns.

The point is less that we could have gotten him and more that an overwhelming majority here believed him to be a gimmicky QB who wouldn't translate to the NFL.

The reason for this shitty "evaluation" was based more on what RG3 couldn't do rather than what Mariota could.

So, all in all, the point is that most people here are shit evaluators.

The point is less that we could have gotten him and more that an overwhelming majority here believed him to be a gimmicky QB who wouldn't translate to the NFL.

The reason for this shitty "evaluation" was based more on what RG3 couldn't do rather than what Mariota could.

Fair enough

Wow, Mariota hung 42 puts on the Bucs.

Aren't they the defending Super Bowl champs?

Sure did beat us, though.

And the likes of Rodgers, Stafford, Flacco, Brees, Roethlisberger and Newton weren't able to drop 4 TD's on them last year...they must all be schlubs too.

Before we anoint Marcus as the next Montana, let's all remember the image of RG3 sitting on his butt with both hands in the air holding 1 finger up, on his opening day debut....... Seems like a lifetime ago - ask a Skins fan.

I like Marcus (I'm a SoCal UCLA Pac 12 guy) and would guess that I have seen him play as much as anyone on this forum, but lets wait for maybe 8 or 9 quarters of ball before we bronze his statue.

, but lets wait for maybe 8 or 9 quarters of ball before we bronze his statue.

why?......when we can all over react and lose our minds before game 1 is even over????..(not pickin at u D, just using the quote)

Honestly find it unbelievable how people react instantly when someone has "a" good game or "a" bad game.....

Should just cancel the season and start the playoffs today since we now know who is great and who sucks....

tim couch is now putting his money behind conner cook i bet.

right couch?

then when he blows he'll just pull his neck and hands back from the ground and disappear like a fart in the wind.

brandon weeden? red headed gun-slinger? LOL.

tim couch is now putting his money behind conner cook i bet.

right couch?

then when he blows he'll just pull his neck and hands back from the ground and disappear like a fart in the wind.

brandon weeden? red headed gun-slinger? LOL.

I never put my money behind Weeden. And I won't put anything behind Cook until I see what he does this year.

But I did put my money behind Mariota, and he looked awfully damn good yesterday. As I said before, just because he ran in Oregon doesn't mean he can't throw in the NFL.

He clearly wouldn't have helped the Browns.

Clearly. You guys are geniuses.

Clearly, Mariota had enough questions that the Browns didn't think two firsts, a second and Joe Haden were worth the risk to move up either.

So if you redo past drafts most NFL teams are shit evaluators- especially the Browns. 2011 case in point. They not only passed on Julio Jones- they also blew it on JJ Watt for good measure. Traded down to take super stud Phil Taylor instead. Clay Matthews Jr, Brian Urlacher, man I could go on and on. But I'm not about to rehash another litany of Browns blown first round picks.

For the record- I was hesitant on Mariota too. But I sure as hell didn't want Weeden or Manziel- so put me one step ahead of the Brown's scouting department in that regard.

Clearly, Mariota had enough questions that the Browns didn't think two firsts, a second and Joe Haden were worth the risk to move up either.

So if you redo past drafts most NFL teams are shit evaluators- especially the Browns. 2011 case in point. They not only passed on Julio Jones- they also blew it on JJ Watt for good measure. Traded down to take super stud Phil Taylor instead. Clay Matthews Jr, Brian Urlacher, man I could go on and on. But I'm not about to rehash another litany of Browns blown first round picks.

For the record- I was hesitant on Mariota too. But I sure as hell didn't want Weeden or Manziel- so put me one step ahead of the Brown's scouting department in that regard.

True. But, as I said, this post was more pointed at the people in here who chimed in with "Mariota is a scrub from a gimmick offense" or "can't run around people in the NFL" or "won't be able to throw to wide open receivers on Sundays".

Mariota looked the part yesterday. He was efficient, he made solid reads, and he aired the ball out - exactly as I, and others, predicted that he could do.

As for what we would have had to give up to get him...it likely would have been more than that. But after yesterday's performance, I think I would have gladly given up Shelton, Erving, Orchard and Haden for a QB who could put together a 4 TD - 81.3% - 158.3 day.

Say I'm overreacting all you want, but I did my due diligence with Mariota throughout the draft process and he confirmed the beliefs that I had. He'll be a very good NFL QB.

This is wrong. He made plenty of good throws, and a couple bad ones: INT & High throw to Hawkins while rolling left.

13 for 24? Alright sure he is great, I love missing wide open touchdowns, and overthrowing our 6'5 TE, I especially love left handed throws!!

Besides the fact that you can't deny that he is always taking a bee line out of the pocket, he simply can't see.

Archived