THE BROWNS BOARD

Marcus Mariota is Terrible

Tim Couch Pulls Out

13 for 24? Alright sure he is great, I love missing wide open touchdowns, and overthrowing our 6'5 TE, I especially love left handed throws!!

Besides the fact that you can't deny that he is always taking a bee line out of the pocket, he simply can't see.

Just shut the fuck up already.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol do you ever have coherent thoughts? Despite if you think I'm wrong, JFF did all of those things yesterday, you can't deny it.

The left handed throw out of bounds was a smart play.

Please, tell me what you would rather have him do in that situation.

13 for 24? Alright sure he is great, I love missing wide open touchdowns, and overthrowing our 6'5 TE, I especially love left handed throws!!

Besides the fact that you can't deny that he is always taking a bee line out of the pocket, he simply can't see.

He had runs negated by penalties. He had 1st down throws negated by penalties. He had 3 drops. And another bounced off Hawkins' finger tips.

Even many Johnny haters are saying he had a pretty decent game, sans turnovers.

You're on an island.

He had runs negated by penalties. He had 1st down throws negated by penalties. He had 3 drops. And another bounced off Hawkins' finger tips.

You're on an island.

Decent for Johnny, any other starting QB in the NFL this was a horrible game, besides maybe Jameis or whoever is starting for the Jags

loved johnny yesterday, when he first came in. i think he looked really good for the short time i had the tv on (before i tossed it out the window).

fucking dray whiffing on that first pass killed us and mccown didn't do us any favors diving on the hand grenade that turned into a bouncing betty. momentum and attitude are everything and we loss both with stupid self inflicted wounds. if i was haslam i wouldn't have let pettine and co. get on the plane. nothing like firing or anything, just come back next week when you want to prepare your team to play in this league.

a gimme win lost. try making that up with this schedule.

sorry. not trying to be a soju or anything but....

True. But, as I said, this post was more pointed at the people in here who chimed in with "Mariota is a scrub from a gimmick offense" or "can't run around people in the NFL" or "won't be able to throw to wide open receivers on Sundays".

Mariota looked the part yesterday. He was efficient, he made solid reads, and he aired the ball out - exactly as I, and others, predicted that he could do.

As for what we would have had to give up to get him...it likely would have been more than that. But after yesterday's performance, I think I would have gladly given up Shelton, Erving, Orchard and Haden for a QB who could put together a 4 TD - 81.3% - 158.3 day.

Say I'm overreacting all you want, but I did my due diligence with Mariota throughout the draft process and he confirmed the beliefs that I had. He'll be a very good NFL QB.

LOL, as Treebeard said in Lord of the Rings- "don't be hasty". One good game against last year's cellar dweller team does not a career make. Derek Anderson looked like a stud until opposing Defensive coordinators figured out all he had was a fastball, with no change up. Mariota has to prove a ton yet in my book before I'll say he was worth the #2 overall pick. Even RG Knee looked like the real deal until it was proven he was a China Doll. Sam Bradford is in the same boat, years down the road.

You're on an island.

I'll say JF looks much improved. Keep up the good work kid.

I never put my money behind Weeden. And I won't put anything behind Cook until I see what he does this year.

But I did put my money behind Mariota, and he looked awfully damn good yesterday. As I said before, just because he ran in Oregon doesn't mean he can't throw in the NFL.

Mariota? You have been hyping Winston for the past 2 years...

not really.

couch touted bortles if anyone. gotta give him credit on the mariota thing. hell who wouldn't want that kid now that he looks great in game action?

shows you how much jon gruden knows.

I've been "hyping" both, I guess you could say.

I've been vocal about Winston's off field transgressions being less than what people made them out to be, and how he is almost the perfect prospect.

I've been vocal about how Mariota could have a very similar skill set to Aaron Rodgers, despite some people claiming he's a gimmick.

I'll admit I was higher on Winston than Mariota at first. I was even anti Mariota. But when I actually did my own research and stopped listening to what ESPN told me, I saw more to be excited about and less to be worried about.

Yes, you got on board early.

Despite our JFF experience, the whole "play call" thing has always seemed overblown to me, but the ease with which MM has added under-center, QB play to his pistol/shotgun repertoire has surprised me.

Mike H has no friends here. :ph34r:

Beat me to it...

I gave a rebuttal, because I watched the game and charted Manziel. Looked better than Bridgewater does right now

Could always just scan and post your chart... Bridgewater's too for comparison. Big time savers...

JM's performance was a very mixed bag to my eye. Early he had successes like a very early hot read and spotting Benji breaking open.

Missing Hawkins was not a product of a ball thrown too high... it was thrown too wide by a QB whose strengths are supposed to include throwing on the run... even to the left.

Then it seemed as if the Jets went to their Defending JM chapter and the good waned.

The INT throw was straight out of 2014... late and to the inside. Not sure, but I think it was a blind throw to an estimated spot.

One of the two fumbles were even more concerning. He set up the one where he bailed to his right and stopped. in doing so he created a total blind side in which he simply stood too long, setting up the strip-sack.

The other fumble was simply a matter of a stronger defender punching the ball from the grip of a weaker player. It was a good, opportunistic defensive play.

• 2 weeks later...

63 comp | 97 att | 63% | 833 yards | 8 TD | 2 INT | 109.2 Rating

8th in yards.

4th in TD's.

7th in rating.

4th in 1st Down %

1st in 20+ yard completions.

Already has one perfect game.

Oh, and guess what? He did all this while still being sacked 12 times, because his offensive line is worse than anything we currently have.

Just your friendly reminder, to those who said he'd be a failure.

I will eat my crow on one thing, however, because Winston is looking plenty mediocre.

Incorrect.

The Titans were not giving up that pick -- full stop. No "unless" anything -- they weren't giving up that pick, period.

You can't force anyone to accept something you propose.

You're right. I remember Chip Kelly saying something the asking price was though the roof. Titans weren't budging.

A franchise QB for 10-15 years is invaluable to a franchise.

The Titans were NOT giving that pick up unless someone offered 3-4 1st rounders. No prospect is worth that especially after the RG3 debacle.

Mariota is going to be good for a very very long time I'm afraid. Another team lands a FQB and our stubborn head coach won't see if we have one.

They were not giving up the pick regardless.

However, the point of this thread is to continually remind those that thought Mariota was a "gimmick QB with no NFL future" that they were wrong. It's not to lament missing out on him, there's enough of that on every other forum on the internet.

Mariota is poised to be a very similar player as Aaron Rodgers. Similar arm talent, vaguely similar demeanor, similar attributes.

Archived