THE BROWNS BOARD

Is it time to admit these guys arent as talented as we've been led to beleive?

Clevfan4life

especially defensively? we've seen these deficiencies that we've been led to believe were simply the result of growing pains within a new system...but i'm not buying it. They got beasted on both sides of the ball today against a team that is likely to be the last in it's division. The Jets will be competing with the Dolphins for last in that division. They're not a terrible team but not a team that should have manhandled the Browns. This is gonna be a long season.

Go bucks right?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only guys ill give a pass to "for now" is the O line, they did alright in pass protect but obviously the zone blocking system is still a work in progress. But otherwise i'm at the point now where I'm seeing the same stuff I saw we saw in the preseason, so it wasn't "oh this is just the preseason wait till it's for real". Well it was for real today and they still don't look that strong, fast or explosive. They just don't. It isn't gonna get better either, this is the beginning of the season. Yeah everybody breaks down over the course of the season so it's a wash, but it still doesn't look good. Shelton and Meder got moved around in the interior at will today...the one thing on that front that was supposed to be at least approaching elite. If the Jets ran up the middle more or less at will, what the hell is gonna happen when this schedule becomes beast?

It's understandable that the running game wasn't there today -- nobody will be able to run on the jets and their four round1 DL picks.

It's not acceptable that the DL once again gave up a 100-yd rusher.. outside of Mangold, that OL [yes, including Ferguson according to PFF] is waiver-wire level.

even Bitonio got manhandled. Thomas struggled as well. i was in disbelief. and did the D get into their backfield even once?!?! undoubtedly Billy Winn, Kitchen, and Phil Taylor were having a good smug laugh today.

all that aside, i'm hoping:

1. the Jets were just underrated

2. it gives the team a wake-up call and lights a fire.

3. it makes the rest of the division underestimate and look past us.

it's not even close to too late. this can be fixed. except now, no one will see us coming. the stage is set, even if we win a couple they will think it's just a fluke. sweep the division and the post season is OURS.

Don't take this the wrong way, but in the off season our media fed us any information that made the team look good because if they were honest and let us know how bad it was going to be they'd be locked out of the training facilities and refused interviews like they do in Pittsburgh.

Every year, most fans buy it, hear about improvements, and think this is the season its going to be different.

It's honestly hard not to when its the team you love and love makes hope sping eternal...

Until you get fed up with the lies and lose faith. It takes more with some then others, but we all hit a breaking point sooner or later.

I actually opened this season with a "show me" attitude. I wasn't putting much faith in a journeyman QB and Dwayne Bowe. Plus as Clevfan4life pointed out, they still couldn't stop the run or pass rush a starting QB in preseason (Tyrod Taylor anyone?)

DeFilipo said on Thursay no one needs to be a superman to win the game and what does the starting QB McKown do? Fly through the air like Superman and get the snot knocked out of him and puts the team at a disadvantage.

My preseason prediction was 8-8 based on AVERAGE QB play and above average defense, seems I'm wrong on both counts so looks like a "fail for Cardale" season.

The only guys ill give a pass to "for now" is the O line,

Robertson was the only guy I saw flashing today, Kirksey and Dansby were nowhere to be found most of the day.

we musta been watching different games....OL was one of the main problems.....did ya miss the 6 penalties? Esp Macks 2 miscues for 55 yds......?

Dansby lead the team in tackles.....had 2 HUGE stops for losses and, in my view, was the best player on D today....I did see Robertson make a ST tackle and then dance like he was Greg Little.....but thats about it.....

even Bitonio got manhandled. Thomas struggled as well. i was in disbelief. and did the D get into their backfield even once?!?! undoubtedly Billy Winn, Kitchen, and Phil Taylor were having a good smug laugh today.

all that aside, i'm hoping:

1. the Jets were just underrated

2. it gives the team a wake-up call and lights a fire.

3. it makes the rest of the division underestimate and look past us.

it's not even close to too late. this can be fixed. except now, no one will see us coming. the stage is set, even if we win a couple they will think it's just a fluke. sweep the division and the post season is OURS.

I agree....OL was terrible....and its only week 1......

I vote all those throwing in the towel just hit the road this week, so we dont have to suffer through 16 weeks of whining(which is honestly worse than watching bad football)

It's the first game. They started out great...

and with Mccown getting hurt, and the int and giving up the int...

momentum and emotion went out of the game, and the mistakes mulitplied.

I expected them to have some troubles the first few regular season games.

There's just too much new and all, to be perfect the first game.

But, that goes for the coaches. Taking Danny Shelton out on passing downs was stupid.

Big outhinking themselves, to try to somehow catch the Jets off guard, but all that did, was

enable them to pull off the third down passes to Brandon Marshall.

Like a race car that doesn't do well it's first race. It's just a matter of adjusting, not the the whole

car is trash just because it didn't win.

The only guys ill give a pass to "for now" is the O line, they did alright in pass protect

Manziel didn't get good protection at all imo, hence the fumbles. i was highly disappointed by the OL tonight.

Shelton and Meder got moved around in the interior at will today...the one thing on that front that was supposed to be at least approaching elite. If the Jets ran up the middle more or less at will, what the hell is gonna happen when this schedule becomes beast?

were we watching the same game?

not only did i feel Shelton and Meder played pretty well for only being rookies, but the Jets had most of their success when they bounced it outside. i definitely felt the team showed a lot of improvement stopping runs between the tackles tonight.

They bounced it outside, ran it inside...didn't really matter. There wasn't much containment anywhere. Shelton was double teamed every play but that's what he's "supposed" to be ready for. He got moved at will, were we watching the same game? Meder....what did he do? Didn't get upfield, didn't hold his gap with much regularity. Same with our edges. Just not good all around.

Will Xavier Cooper, Charles Gaines and Austin Davis be active next week? I have a feeling that Davis might be starting down the road. Also Mike Pettine didn't seem to take any of the blame. The coaches have to take some credit for not having a better game plan after all. This was a real head scratcher! I mean the play calling. Also will they be playing Bibbs any time soon. I thought he was pretty good in preseason.

I'm not pressing the panic button until a few more games. Maybe they haven't developed a chemistry yet. There were so many preseason injuries and veterans who didn't see any action.

But no wonder the Fantasy play of the week was Chris Ivory. Normally he stinks

Will Xavier Cooper, Charles Gaines and Austin Davis be active next week? I have a feeling that Davis might be starting down the road. Also Mike Pettine didn't seem to take any of the blame. The coaches have to take some credit for not having a better game plan after all. This was a real head scratcher! I mean the play calling. Also will they be playing Bibbs any time soon. I thought he was pretty good in preseason.

I'm not pressing the panic button until a few more games. Maybe they haven't developed a chemistry yet. There were so many preseason injuries and veterans who didn't see any action.

But no wonder the Fantasy play of the week was Chris Ivory. Normally he stinks

You cant push the panic button when this team clearly blows

They bounced it outside, ran it inside...didn't really matter. There wasn't much containment anywhere. Shelton was double teamed every play but that's what he's "supposed" to be ready for. He got moved at will, were we watching the same game? Meder....what did he do? Didn't get upfield, didn't hold his gap with much regularity. Same with our edges. Just not good all around.

i'm with you on setting the edge--PATHETIC.

i'll watch it again and have a better idea after replaying every play 10 or 11 times (lol part of me is just happy for some new film to obsess over) but my view now is the middle played up to my expectations, and again, Man Mountain and Meder are rookies. if anyone gets a pass i would think it should be them.

wanna pick on someone? how about mr. "i have 3,000 pairs of shoes and a new jordan deal"...

i could be wrong but to me it looked as if this might've been his worst game as a pro. Ryan FitzP passed on him AT WILL, pushoffs or not. combined with a million gifts from 13th man bias, it was a rather easy game for Joe "hatin".

Man it's always sunshines and rainbows in here. The team stinks, the organization stinks and everyone not wearing rose colored glasses sees it. They have minimal talent at the skill positions and draft poorly. I like Pettine but the Browns got the cold shoulder by all the more established coaches. Is the franchise beyond saving, I hope not, but it will be a minimum of a 4-5 year process and we are in the midst of year 2

I'm sick of making excuses for the OL. We're trying to have one of the best in the league. Like no worse than top 3. That's the goal, right? Well who does everyone think is #1? The Cowboys. All their OL did last year was go into Seattle and have a 100 yard rusher. Go into St. Louis and have a 100 yard rusher. Go to Arizona and have their RB over 4 ypc and 70 yards. 100 yard rusher against the Lions. No problem.

These were all top 10 DLs and probably all but St. Louis were top 5 most likely. But when we struggle I have to read some crap about how good NYJ's DL is bla bla bla. Pisses me off. Go produce and quit making excuses. You're all vets. We shouldn't have to baby you anymore. Some of that run blocking was so terrible I couldn't fathom how we have 3 All-Pros on this line.

Aside from the penalties (not that they aren't critical), I thought the pass blocking was solid. Even Erving did a solid job when he went in there.

I'm sick of making excuses for the OL. We're trying to have one of the best in the league. Like no worse than top 3. That's the goal, right? Well who does everyone think is #1? The Cowboys. All their OL did last year was go into Seattle and have a 100 yard rusher. Go into St. Louis and have a 100 yard rusher. Go to Arizona and have their RB over 4 ypc and 70 yards. 100 yard rusher against the Lions. No problem.

These were all top 10 DLs and probably all but St. Louis were top 5 most likely. But when we struggle I have to read some crap about how good NYJ's DL is bla bla bla. Pisses me off. Go produce and quit making excuses. You're all vets. We shouldn't have to baby you anymore. Some of that run blocking was so terrible I couldn't fathom how we have 3 All-Pros on this line.

Aside from the penalties (not that they aren't critical), I thought the pass blocking was solid. Even Erving did a solid job when he went in there.

No Brandon Mebane. Seattle's front was not as invincible on early downs without him. However please check how many carries it took DeMarco to reach the century mark..

Actually, go and check the rushing attempts against all of those teams. That said, this is an elite Oline in pass pro. In moving bodies off the line in run blocking? Not so much.

Who cares? Yes there were a ton of carries, but Murray was over 4 ypc because the OL was making him holes. Ours isn't. Don't make excuses. We want to be a running team but we can't do it to save our lives.

I agree they're elite in pass pro.

Not so certain that was true in the 2nd half. I will defer to tour's line play analysis, but it appeared much poorer the second half in general both running and pass blocking.

I'm not sure how you can blame someone for mis-leading you? The Browns had the worst run defense in the league last year and you allowed yourself to believe they were special on defense?

no, you're right. But remember how many people were saying oh just wait it's a new scheme. I look at that Buffalo team and that's a defense that Pettine had a huge influence on. I want him to try to build that around those kind of players. I don't want him trying to shoehorn in guys from the Shurmer and that other guy who's name I can't remember now, era. These were guys signed and drafted for other defensive schemes. Physically a lot of them don't fit what Pettnine likes to do, especially our edges. Just be done with this, start over.

Run-blocking was bad, but our rushers didn't look very good either. Duke didn't show patience, and Crowell lacked vision. It's sad that I'm excited to see Turbin in a few weeks...

OLBs were just bad against the rush... still. Last year it was our D-Line that killed us against the run, but yesterday it was the little bounce outside. Neither Mingo or Kruger are very disciplined against the run... I think losing Solomon was a bigger loss than it seemed at the time...

The worst thing about the whole game was the penalties... You can't win with that many penalties...

I still say, I can't even judge this team based on this game b/c the penalties hamstrung them, and losing McCown was devastating ... I'll give a pass to our mini-WR-corp... they looked good between the 20's, but we sure could use a redzone threat...

yeah i'm not sold Soloman was some run stuffing animal we just didn't know it. I think part of the problem with the edges is that in Pets scheme they're not just being asked to hold the point, they HAVE to get off their blocks and disrupt the play in some way, but they can't. They're just not that strong of guys. In preseason against the Bucs we saw Kruger could not get off that TE on a TD run and then he turned and complain he got held, which he didn't. It's just time to admit these guys aren't that physically gifted.

Not so certain that was true in the 2nd half. I will defer to tour's line play analysis, but it appeared much poorer the second half in general both running and pass blocking.

...and penalties......lots and lots of penalties......Bito, Mack, Greco & Schwartz all pitched in......

Just be done with this, start over.

Isnt that what we did last season??.......just over 1 year ago Farmer started and we now have replaced 80% of the team(over 1 season).....maybe they should have replaced 100%...?.....Sheesh...talk about the need for instant gratification...

Our fans expect worst to first......or else....screw em....

OLBs were just bad against the rush... still. Last year it was our D-Line that killed us against the run, but yesterday it was the little bounce outside. Neither Mingo or Kruger are very disciplined against the run... I think losing Solomon was a bigger loss than it seemed at the time...

Considering the D line had so many injuries last season, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.....but OLB's.....they were my mantra for the draft last season(and for 2016 too).......

And we let the best one go, when Sheard left for NE....(our #1 rated LB against the run last year, btw)

Just addressed your thoughts on another thread.

i'm curious what you said but u need to come back to earth if you think u are so infinitely insightful someone would actually hunt for it without a link.

how about helping a nugga out and putting in some effort. please.

Archived