THE BROWNS BOARD

Passing to set up the run vs. Running to set up the pass

SPEK216

It's pretty obvious which one is more successful in this day and age. Look at the last 4 teams remaining in the playoffs last year. Packers, Colts, and Patriots were pass first teams. Watching them play is like watching an entirely different game. Granted Seattle is the exception.. But it's apparent that pass first teams with weapons are more successful

So it's a possibility we see Austin Davis this year. Who could have seen that coming.

Hopefully the inactives will return and the team has a much better game Sunday in Cleveland.

GO BROWNS

Not a fan of Ray Lewis but I agree with his comments moments ago on ESPN. You have to have a WR to "take the top off of the defense". You need the Dez Bryant type guy to keep get rid of 8 men in the box. Some will say, "you need a QB to throw to him", but you can't be one dimensional in today's NFL.

So it's a possibility we see Austin Davis this year. Who could have seen that coming.

Hopefully the inactives will return and the team has a much better game Sunday in Cleveland.

GO BROWNS

It's pretty much guaranteed we see Davis or another QB. No way Johnny lasts, the way he plays, and McCown has already proven he won't stay healthy

It's pretty much guaranteed we see Davis or another QB. No way Johnny lasts, the way he plays, and McCown has already proven he won't stay healthy

Yep, but lucky for all of us the Browns' philosophy is to "minimize the importance of the QB".

farmer hasn't yet invested in anything in the offensive playmaker category. will love to see what he does next year cuz we need serious help.

speaking of philly (ha!) who thinks sam bradford betting on himself is going to payoff?

If his best effort this year was Mayle, then we know where that goes.

farmer hasn't yet invested in anything in the offensive playmaker category. will love to see what he does next year cuz we need serious help.

speaking of philly (ha!) who thinks sam bradford betting on himself is going to payoff?

If he stays healthy I'd bet on him

It's pretty obvious which one is more successful in this day and age. Look at the last 4 teams remaining in the playoffs last year. Packers, Colts, and Patriots were pass first teams. Watching them play is like watching an entirely different game. Granted Seattle is the exception.. But it's apparent that pass first teams with weapons are more successful

It has nothing to do with pass first. It's called having a franchise QB.

Not a fan of Ray Lewis but I agree with his comments moments ago on ESPN. You have to have a WR to "take the top off of the defense". You need the Dez Bryant type guy to keep get rid of 8 men in the box. Some will say, "you need a QB to throw to him", but you can't be one dimensional in today's NFL.

We have two of those. Find a new schtick.

Who's our Matt Ryan? Who's San Fran's "franchise receiver"?

If you have no receiver capable of consistently being open then you don't win in this league over a season. I never quibble over drafting from the inside out, but it appears Farmer's attitude does not include "out".

"Passing to set up the run vs. Running to set up the pass"

For either to set up the other you have to be effective in your preferred, primary approach.

For you capitalize over teams stacking to take away your first preference, you have to be able to execute your second.

We have WRs who can take the top off defenses.

We lack ones that can consistently win 50/50 balls. But so do many teams that "pass first".

That's a joke right? That's a small step above Bowe, Hartline, or at the moment, Gabriel.

It's a step above and it is a WR that can win 50/50 balls and also beat the team deep. Inside the 20 the Browns have "back of the end zone" WRs. Can't throw a fade route and can't throw in throw that up for grabs 50/50 ball, you may be able to throw the slant but you rub the risk of one if the midgets getting bumped out of the way. At least Cameron gave them a tall athletic receiver. Pettine shit his pants at 1st in goal at the 15 cause he knows they don't have that guy. They'd trade Hartline, Bowe and Gabriel for Torrey Smith today if that offer was on the table.

Dude. We're paying Bowe $9M and Smith is making $3.6M. If we wanted him that bad, he'd be on our team. Smith has no renown around the league for "winning 50/50 balls." You're just saying stuff to make him look better and make us look bad. Shocker.

Small receivers are best at the slant because they have the best footwork at the line.

Dude. We're paying Bowe $9M and Smith is making $3.6M. If we wanted him that bad, he'd be on our team. Smith has no renown around the league for "winning 50/50 balls." You're just saying stuff to make him look better and make us look bad. Shocker.

Small receivers are best at the slant because they have the best footwork at the line.

Smith signed 5/50 I believe and didn't want a rebuilder. We overpaid Bowe for one year because there wasn't a decent free agent coming here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000474533/article/top-101-nfl-free-agents-for-2015

Yay we got #88

So we paid $1M less? Have you seen our cap's balance sheet right now? You don't think we could have afforded an extra $1M? Come on.

Smith made it clear that he didn't want to leave a playoff team and go to a rebuilding team. No free agent that is worth anything is choosing the Browns these days unless they are backing up the Brinks truck. No one in football, outside of Cleveland, wanted to give Bowe $9. Hartline is a definite 3 with flashes of a 2. I know you and I won't agree on this and our GM agrees with you. The idea that you can add a #2 and #2.5 and get a #1 but I don't see it.

March 10th? Tomsula was their coach right? I was hearing the rumors of their demise as soon as he was announced.

Actually think they were blaming Harbaugh for everything. Now defensively they deteriorated over the offseason but offensively I still think they believe in Kaepernick, Boldin, & Hyde.

Archived