THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week's Trivia...the AP Poll

The Gipper

Here is how frustrated I am: I am completely ignoring pro football with my Trivia. This Trivia is all about the AP Poll in college football. Try your hand:

1. Three schools have won a share of a National Championship.....but have never won an AP Poll National Championship. They only won the UPI/Coaches poll part of the Championship. Name these 3 schools.

2. Only 2 schools in history have ever won the AP Title by going wire to wire...where they were ranked #1 from preseason to Final and were #1 every week of the year. Name these two schools and the approximate years they accomplished this.

3. Who is the only school in history to receive Unanimous ranking as #1 in the AP Preseason poll.?

4. Who was the last AP Preseason #1 to fall out of the rankings altogether by the time the Final Rankings came about.

5. Who was the last team to be ranked #1 in the AP Final Ranking who did not spend a single week during the year ranked #1?

6. Who was the last team that won the AP National Championship that lost its very next game played at the beginning of the next season?

7. What are the most points ever scored by an opponent during a season against a team that wen on to win the National Championship?

8. What is the biggest jump that a team has ever made from one week to the next to claim the #1 spot in the AP poll...i.e. what was their previous ranking the week before? Give the team if possible.

9. From 1936 to 2015 which 5 schools have received the most total points ever in the AP Poll?

10. What school jumped from being unranked in the AP poll one week to what highest ranking spot in the next poll?

Note: prior to 1989 the AP only ranked 20 teams.

Hint....this occurred prior to 1989.

11. A. Which school had the biggest jump from one spot to another within the AP poll from one week to the next?

B. Which school had the biggest drop from one spot to another within the AP poll from one week to the next?

12. What school was ranked #1 in the very first AP poll? (1936)

Bonus: This was the Final AP Poll ranking in one particular year. Name the year:

1. Army

2. Ohio St.

3. Randolph Field

4. Navy

5. Bainbridge Naval

6. Iowa Pre-Flight

7. USC

8. Michigan

9. Notre Dame

10. March Field

11. Duke

12. Tennessee

13. Ga. Tech

14. Norman Pre-Flight

15. Illinois

16. El Toro Marines

17. Great Lakes Naval Academy

18. Fort Pierce

19. St. Mary's Pre-Flight

20. Second Air Force.

2. Nebraska (1980) USC (early 2000) Yes on USC, no on Neb

3. Buckeyes..Check

4. USC Check....but what approximate year?

5. Buckeyes again? Check again

7. 70 NO

9. Bama, OSU, USC, Michigan, Nebraska....check on the highlighted ones, no on the others.

11. A.Texas A&M...NO

B. South Carolina...NO

12. Army...NO

Bonus:1936...NO

Here is how frustrated I am: I am completely ignoring pro football with my Trivia. This Trivia is all about the AP Poll in college football. Try your hand:

Not much interest in College Football? I will just give the answers.

1. Three schools have won a share of a National Championship.....but have never won an AP Poll National Championship. They only won the UPI/Coaches poll part of the Championship. Name these 3 schools.

UCLA in 1954. Ga. Tech in 1990. Washington in 1991. These schools have never otherwise won an AP poll title...BCS or any other method of winning a national title.....just the UPI title.

2. Only 2 schools in history have ever won the AP Title by going wire to wire...where they were ranked #1 from preseason to Final and were #1 every week of the year. Name these two schools and the approximate years they accomplished this.

1999 Florida St. 2004 USC

3. Who is the only school in history to receive Unanimous ranking as #1 in the AP Preseason poll.?

That would be the 2015 Ohio State Buckeyes.

4. Who was the last AP Preseason #1 to fall out of the rankings altogether by the time the Final Rankings came about.

2012 USC.....before that you have to go back to the mid-50s when the AP was only ranking 10 teams for a while.

5. Who was the last team to be ranked #1 in the AP Final Ranking who did not spend a single week during the year ranked #1?

The 2014 Ohio State Buckeyes. Several schools this century also had this happen: 2011 Alabama, 2006 Florida, 2005 Texas, 2002 Ohio St.

6. Who was the last team that won the AP National Championship that lost its very next game played at the beginning of the next season?

This has only happened 3 times.....the last was the 1990 Colorado Univ. team...who lost to Tennesse

Before that 1983 Miami, and 1965 Alabama who lost to Georgia

(Most schools now schedule cupcakes for their first game...so it is hard to accomplish)

7. What are the most points ever scored by an opponent during a season against a team that wen on to win the National Championship?

50 points. The was scored against LSU the year they won the title in 2007. But it was a 3OT game....and you know that the college OT system sucks swamp water....so it is really a false score.

8. What is the biggest jump that a team has ever made from one week to the next to claim the #1 spot in the AP poll...i.e. what was their previous ranking the week before? Give the team if possible.

On Sept. 4 1984 (exactly one month to the day after I was married btw) previous week10th ranked Miami Hurricanes jumped to #1 in the AP Poll

9. From 1936 to 2015 which 5 schools have received the most total points ever in the AP Poll?

Oklahoma 693,969

Ohio St. 668,791

Michigan 599,854

Nebraska 588,585

Notre Dame 558,377

(next 5 in order: Alabama, Florida St., Texas, Florida)

10. What school jumped from being unranked in the AP poll one week to what highest ranking spot in the next poll?

Note: prior to 1989 the AP only ranked 20 teams.

Hint....this occurred prior to 1989.

In 1974 Missouri went from unranked to #5

11. A. Which school had the biggest jump from one spot to another within the AP poll from one week to the next?

Just last year, 2014 TCU went from being ranked #24 to #9. 16 spot jump. Highest ever.

B. Which school had the biggest drop from one spot to another within the AP poll from one week to the next?

2009 California dropped from #6 to #24....an 18 spot drop. Most ever.

12. What school was ranked #1 in the very first AP poll? (1936) My son's former employer: Minnesota Golden Gophers

(FYI, Neither OSU, Michigan, Alabama, Fla. St. appeared in that poll

Bonus: This was the Final AP Poll ranking in one particular year. Name the year:

1. Army

2. Ohio St.

3. Randolph Field

4. Navy

5. Bainbridge Naval

6. Iowa Pre-Flight

7. USC

8. Michigan

9. Notre Dame

10. March Field

11. Duke

12. Tennessee

13. Ga. Tech

14. Norman Pre-Flight

15. Illinois

16. El Toro Marines

18. Fort Pierce

20. Second Air Force.

1944 in the heart of WWII

Name the year:

1. Army

2. Ohio St.

3. Randolph Field

4. Navy

5. Bainbridge Naval

6. Iowa Pre-Flight

7. USC

8. Michigan

9. Notre Dame

10. March Field

11. Duke

12. Tennessee

13. Ga. Tech

14. Norman Pre-Flight

15. Illinois

16. El Toro Marines

18. Fort Pierce

20. Second Air Force.

1944 in the heart of WWII

Gip, why were the military teams so good? I understand the part about everyone going to the schools since we were in a war (duh) but shouldn't they be fighting in the war or preparing for it and not playing college football?

Gip, why were the military teams so good? I understand the part about everyone going to the schools since we were in a war (duh) but shouldn't they be fighting in the war or preparing for it and not playing college football?

As I understand it, they were in fact preparing for the war. And of course over half the men of college age were in the military. I guess its just that as part of their physical training they were allowed to do it as football practice. And as long as they practiced, they may as well play some games.

I don't know if actual games were held by the military teams against regular schools (except for Army and Navy)

I do know that the Great Lakes Naval Academy was coached by Paul Brown....who ran into a QB there by the name of Otto Graham.

Archived