THE BROWNS BOARD

Random Thoughts

Flugel

Are hobbies supposed to be this stressful?

McCown was looking sharp before he got his "I'm Larry Csonka" impulse. How come our 22 year old QB knows more about sliding than our 35-36 year old? Josh was also trying to put a shoulder into LBers and Safeties in the preseason so that was far from new.

I think the best thing that could have happened to Danny Shelton was to open up against a talented Center like Nick Mangold. Hard to find a tougher dude than that! Shelton will have better games and easier matchups ahead.That said, he had some good moments. IMO, NY has a very underrated Oline. They have the Oline Rex Ryan wishes he had.

It felt like we're substituting way too frequently on both sides of the ball. In a game of where chemistry and timing is important, why not keep a WR like Benjamin out there. Meanwhile, if you ask a 320-340 lb DT to sprint onto the field, line up against Mangold and sprint off to miss 1 play before rinsing and repeating - how fresh are his legs?

The Red Zone size I thought was excited about had me watching the Jets' Brandon Marshall beat our best corner with this ideal size I speak of. Meanwhile, Manziel throws a pass to Tom Thumb Jr in the corner of the end zone; and he wasn't tall enough or had a wing span to catch it in-bounds like most average/decent sized WRs can in this league. That sucked! When Travis Benjamin leads the WR Corps with 3 TD receptions and yards per catch despite part time duty in 2014 - it's time to take the blind folds off and stop playing favorites. Take yesterday for instance (as well as the entire preseason), and understand 3 receptions for 89 yards and 1 TD is the ONLY playmaker we had at the WR position. That's almost 30 yards per catch, Even if one went for 54 yards - the other 2 combined for 35 yards (which is 17.5 yards per catch). He can't score from the bench while the people playing in his place couldn't score at all (as usual).

Pass rush has to be way better and so does our run blocking. I didn't think our pass protection was bad fwiw.

Most high school football teams in this country would be disappointed with 12 penalties and an inability for people to secure the football. Why? Because it reflects a lack of focus and attention to detail necessary to win. A 60 minute game is full of little things that add up to become the overall difference.

The good news? A lot of our mistakes we're correctable. We didn't win the opener last year before we got off to a 7-4 start. More good news? Joe Thomas is in his 9th year so I'm thinking he's going to get increasingly more vocal in his leadership role than he has been in the past. Maybe I saw this wrong; but I thought I saw him make a comment to Mack after he got frustrated with him at 1 point. They're friends and it was the heat of battle; but I like that from a team captain everyone respects.

Thank you for letting me unload some of my blow hard frustration. If you got stuff you want to add - run it!

Very nice , Tom..

It was a real doozy for sure... My personal belief is the distractions with the trades/cuts and the recent epi with Gilberti , Distracted the Browns.. It's not the "ENTIRE" reason. But, a big factor non the less. I think some of these kids may have been lookin' over they're shoulders a bit , in lieu of the recent team transactions. But much of this falls on coaching. And other things.. Like failing to set an edge.. Imaoo... It was a team loss... And I concur with your points...

Peace!

Mccown was doing EXACTLY what a competitive football players do and I won't get angry about heart.

Not going to cry for Shelton, Miami isn't running Suh off the field every other down, Shelton needs to prove he can do it on every down.

Not having a true #1 WR will be a problem concerning defensive scheme and red zone possessions. 1st and goal from the 15 isn't great but it isn't a death sentence either.

Pass rush hasn't been good in some time.

Penalties and turnovers kill teams, check and check.

We will win one or two of the first 5 but then the schedule gets tough. Most on here circled this as a win and the team got crushed and wasn't in the game after the 2nd quarter.

Mccown was doing EXACTLY what a competitive football players do and I won't get angry about heart.

Not going to cry for Shelton, Miami isn't running Suh off the field every other down, Shelton needs to prove he can do it on every down.

Not having a true #1 WR will be a problem concerning defensive scheme and red zone possessions. 1st and goal from the 15 isn't great but it isn't a death sentence either.

We will win one or two of the first 5 but then the schedule gets tough. Most on here circled this as a win and the team got crushed and wasn't in the game after the 2nd quarter.

i was one who penciled in the game for a win. was thinking about going out yesterday to rub it in the my jet fans friend's faces.......glad i didn't.

saw a lot of positives. that 9 minute drive was a thing of beauty until the end. then kept stepping on our own dicks.

hey who knows? it's not like you or i are invested in this team......wait does blood, tears and liver damage count?

i was one who penciled in the game for a win. was thinking about going out yesterday to rub it in the my jet fans friend's faces.......glad i didn't.

saw a lot of positives. that 9 minute drive was a thing of beauty until the end. then kept stepping on our own dicks.

hey who knows? it's not like you or i are invested in this team......wait does blood, tears and liver damage count?

Going to get another ulcer this year

Good post. I have to say though I think our D coordinator needs to go. I don't think he has a clue on how to be aggressive and utilize they sent we have. As long as Oneill is the guy we are screwed. Our O line needs to get their shit together right now. Their play was downright negligent. They should all donate their game checks to charity. Lastly when looking at the offensive playmakers I have to Farmer is a bust and needs to go. He's suspended for stupidly and blatantly breaking NFL rules. In the process he violated and alienated the coaching staff. West,Mayle , Bowe, Cameron all bad GM work. Brandon Marshall in Jets uniform , bad GM. You can point out his diamonds in the rough but the overall body of work is a steaming turd. Ok vent over

Ok vent over

dude i think we're allowed one or two of those a year!

(usually i think the people are scared of my dog when i walk him but yesterday around 4 i must have had those cartoon lightning bolts shooting out of my body cuz the looks i was giving people and the cars i wanted to stop and pull people out of.......) god bless the mfer who made the mistake of saying hi or 'how'd the browns do'?

Good post. I have to say though I think our D coordinator needs to go. I don't think he has a clue on how to be aggressive and utilize they sent we have. As long as Oneill is the guy we are screwed. Our O line needs to get their shit together right now. Their play was downright negligent. They should all donate their game checks to charity. Lastly when looking at the offensive playmakers I have to Farmer is a bust and needs to go. He's suspended for stupidly and blatantly breaking NFL rules. In the process he violated and alienated the coaching staff. West,Mayle , Bowe, Cameron all bad GM work. Brandon Marshall in Jets uniform , bad GM. You can point out his diamonds in the rough but the overall body of work is a steaming turd. Ok vent over

I don't know if it's a steaming pile- but drafting guys like Mayle in the fourth and hoping you're going to pull another Martavius Bryant out of your ass is the same as betting the odds you're going to find another Brady in the sixth. BTW- watching Julio Jones just shred the Beagles made me ill. That one can't be laid on Farmer's feet- but Gilbert and Manziel sure can. Our starting wrs in general are a bunch of guys other teams found very expendable. Dear Mr. Farmer- you can polish a turd- but when all is said and done- it's still a turd. Oh- BTW, you draft a guard in the first round (Erving) you pencil him in as an immediate starter.

Other than that Tom- I agree 100%.

Suh is 30 pounds lighter, in his 5th year, and isn't a 3-4 nose. Quit looking for things to complain about.

I was, as many here were, surprised with our Game 1 showing. Also surprised? I think Pet and staff. QBs aside I think the reemergence our 2014 issues with running and stopping the run stunned our staff. Very curious to see our Week 2 response.

On Flug's sub frequency comment: Agree in principle, but in practice I'm afraid that's our lot given the strengths and weaknesses of our personnel.

Semi-Related NOTE: I thought Gruden's observation last nite about Chip Kelly hurrying up when plays finished on the Eagles sideline because the opponent's subs had further to travel was interesting.

On O'Neil: He and Pet are joined at the hip. I'm with Pet, so I'm also with O'Neil.

On Farmer: As stated in other threads I'm giving him a 2014 pass due to his staff not being in place. If Mayle is his worst 2015 mistake, then I'll be happy. If Mayle plus Bowe are his worst mistakes... not so much. Bowe needs to get his ass on the field and prove his old, KC mate's faith was warranted.

It felt like we're substituting way too frequently on both sides of the ball. In a game of where chemistry and timing is important, why not keep a WR like Benjamin out there. Meanwhile, if you ask a 320-340 lb DT to sprint onto the field, line up against Mangold and sprint off to miss 1 play before rinsing and repeating - how fresh are his legs?

Another reason Pettine is starting to look suspect. Competition is great but you can't drag the preseason into the regular season . . . You have to pick your horses and go with them. This every position by committee isn't gonna work.

Tour-I can hardly wait to see your O line workup comparing 1st half to 2nd half. Something went terribly wrong there from one to the other (not that they were run blocking well in either).

Me, too... but I keep posting here and not getting to it.

Plus the market has been a tad volatile lately...

Suh is 30 pounds lighter, in his 5th year, and isn't a 3-4 nose. Quit looking for things to complain about.

Keep lauding our awesome receiving corps.

I expect the 12th pick in the NFL draft to start and play the majority of the game, maybe you don't. Suh, Poe (when healthy), Ngata, etc. aren't running off the field every other play. Shelton needs to effective in all situations.

Who's talking about receivers in this thread? Focus.

Ngata is off the field plenty. When you run a 3-4, your starting nose isn't going to play every snap. That's just a fact. Study some football.

Focusing on Shelton, Jets ran around 60 plays and off the top of my head I'd say Shelton played 30-35.

When you run a 3-4, your starting nose isn't going to play every snap. That's just a fact. Study some football.

When you run a 3-4, your LBs are supposed to make tackles. Especially on the edge (OLB in particular). Our LBs aren't very good, as nearly every tackle Sunday was by a DB. I blame sub par LB play rather than a poor D Line performance for our crappy showing against the Jets.

When you run a 3-4, your LBs are supposed to make tackles. Especially on the edge (OLB in particular). Our LBs aren't very good, as nearly every tackle Sunday was by a DB. I blame sub par LB play rather than a poor D Line performance for our crappy showing against the Jets.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't blaming Shelton or even saying he played poorly. Just from memory believe he was off the field quite a bit for a guy who we need to be dominate.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't blaming Shelton or even saying he played poorly. Just from memory believe he was off the field quite a bit for a guy who we need to be dominate.

No problem, I'm not being a know-it-all.

I'm just sick and tired of watching opposing RBs get to the edge and no OLB is there. It's been a problem for a long long time, and we've had our share of defensive coordinator head coaches.

I don't know if it's a talent thing or the scheme of the D. All I know is that it sucks, and we aren't going anywhere until it's addressed.

Totally agree.

I stand corrected thought it was less. I'd like to hear your thoughts after you watch the tape.

Archived