THE BROWNS BOARD

Michigan (gag) town votes to deny building permit for Mosque

DieHardBrownsFan

No if you read the bible commentary they conclude a better and more accurate translation of the scripture reads like this:

In light of the foregoing, we feel the following rendering best captures the intended meaning of the passage which has nothing to do with a woman having to marry her rapist:

Suppose a woman isnt engaged to be married, and a man talks her into sleeping with him. If they are caught, they will be forced to get married. He must give her father fifty pieces of silver as a bride-price and can never divorce her. Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Ok, so in the least harmful scenario, the Bible, which is supposed to represent the unalterable Word of God, and by which we are supposed to live our lives, is up for interpretation, and that there is no unified consensus on what the Bible actually means. Are the verses to be interpreted literally or metaphorically? Who decides which verses are literal and which are metaphors? Some religious people say the New Testament invalidates some of the Old Testament. Which parts? How did they come to this conclusion?

Do you see where the problem lies?

Many Muslims do the same thing. iSIS is not making up words from the Koran; they are using verses found in there to justify their atrocities. Many other Muslims use differing interpretations of the Koran to condem ISIS. For one to be right, the other must be wrong. But which one is it?

So how can you criticize Muslims for using their religious texts to promote violence, when the religious texts of Christians and Jews do the exact same thing? Can you base your moral principals, which you use to condem Islam, on texts like the Torah and the Bible which are themselves inherently violent and contradictory in their messages?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fail to see where the koran has a new testament, and where

Christians and Jews interpret the Bible to justify beheadings,

rape, torture, and genocide.

Different interpretations of the original Hebrew and Greek is hardly the same

as taking verses and committing heinous, sick and murderous crimes against humanity.

Think before argue.

Ok, so in the least harmful scenario, the Bible, which is supposed to represent the unalterable Word of God, and by which we are supposed to live our lives, is up for interpretation, and that there is no unified consensus on what the Bible actually means. Are the verses to be interpreted literally or metaphorically? Who decides which verses are literal and which are metaphors? Some religious people say the New Testament invalidates some of the Old Testament. Which parts? How did they come to this conclusion?

Do you see where the problem lies?

Many Muslims do the same thing. iSIS is not making up words from the Koran; they are using verses found in there to justify their atrocities. Many other Muslims use differing interpretations of the Koran to condem ISIS. For one to be right, the other must be wrong. But which one is it?

So how can you criticize Muslims for using their religious texts to promote violence, when the religious texts of Christians and Jews do the exact same thing? Can you base your moral principals, which you use to condem Islam, on texts like the Torah and the Bible which are themselves inherently violent and contradictory in their messages?

So Jbluh decides that he doesn't approve of gods writings and makes fun of them. Not good Jbluh.

I fail to see where the koran has a new testament..

The Koran is not a New Testament. According to Islam, it is the FINAL and UNALTERABLE word of God, not up for interpretation. Hence ISIS and other radical Muslims using it to justify their bullshit.

...and where Christians and Jews interpret the Bible to justify rape...

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/right-wing-christian-expert-on-feminism-insists-that-submitting-to-marital-rape-makes-jesus-happy/

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/19/1413548/-Ritual-Rape-as-Practiced-by-High-Church-Christians-and-America-s-Elite

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/05/21/christian-writer-says-married-women-cant-biblically-refuse-sex/

torture...

http://religiondispatches.org/christians-more-supportive-of-torture-than-non-religious-americans/

http://ftmdaily.com/global-issues/police-state-global-issues/evangelical-christian-leaders-rush-to-defend-cia-torture/

and genocide.

http://markhumphrys.com/christianity.killings.html

-Rwandan genocides

-Christian pogroms against Jews

-Cortez's conquest of Mexico

-The Crusades

-Joseph Kony's genocide campaign in Uganda

-The Troubles in Ireland and the Provisional IRA

Different interpretations of the original Hebrew and Greek is hardly the same

as taking verses and committing heinous, sick and murderous crimes against humanity.

Christians and Muslims do this on a constant basis. Muslims are just the flashier of the two right now when they do it, and they get more attention because of it.

Think before argue. Thus sayeth the pot to the kettle.

So Jbluh decides that he doesn't approve of gods writings and makes fun of them. Not good Jbluh.

No, what I have actually decided is that I don't approve using a bunch of Iron-Age scribbling written down thousands of years ago, and which uses rules that supposedly come from a man-made deity to judge how I and others live our lives.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to substantiate them; religions are loaded with extraordinary claims, yet are woefully lacking in the evidence department. I hope that clears it up for you.

Go with Christ my son.

Jbluh got butt fucked by his priest as an altar boy thinks me.

No, I never was a Christian. Had no use for it. I prefer the Norse. Jesus said he'd bring world peace; Odin said he'd destroy the frost Giants.

I don't see any frost giants walking around.

In fact, maybe you should believe in the Norse too. When you go to Valhalla, there's unlimited ale to drink. Sounds right up your alley.

May the hammer of Thor protect you.

No, what I have actually decided is that I don't approve using a bunch of Iron-Age scribbling written down thousands of years ago, and which uses rules that supposedly come from a man-made deity to judge how I and others live our lives.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence to substantiate them; religions are loaded with extraordinary claims, yet are woefully lacking in the evidence department. I hope that clears it up for you.

Go with Christ my son.

Scribblings? Lol you are a dipshit. Ancient copies of the bible hold up to textual criticism by 96%. That means they are all nearly identical with each other. That's quite a bit more substantial than "scribblings"

No, I never was a Christian. Had no use for it. I prefer the Norse. Jesus said he'd bring world peace; Odin said he'd destroy the frost Giants.

I don't see any frost giants walking around.

In fact, maybe you should believe in the Norse too. When you go to Valhalla, there's unlimited ale to drink. Sounds right up your alley.

May the hammer of Thor protect you.

He never said he was here to bring peace. Read Matthew 10:34-36. Now you are blasphemising. You have my pity heathen.

jblu - the subject was Christians doing the same thing as extremist terrorist murders.

AS in, isil is a giant GROUP. Al Quaida sp? is a freaking GROUP>

so, despite finding where some individual nutjob blah blah blah....

(and water boarding was not torture - it was harmlessly persuading.)

So, find a Christian group that does all the same thing as the terrorist groups like isil is doing.

So far, you can't keep up with a point. Are you Cleve's Clone, inclusive of woody and chris combined dna?

jblu - the subject was Christians doing the same thing as extremist terrorist murders.

AS in, isil is a giant GROUP. Al Quaida sp? is a freaking GROUP>

so, despite finding where some individual nutjob blah blah blah....

(and water boarding was not torture - it was harmlessly persuading.)

I guess ISIL was just "harmlessly persuading" their captives to stay...

So, find a Christian group that does all the same thing as the terrorist groups like isil is doing.

Genocide of the Tutsis, Rwanda: An estimated 800,000 Rwandans died during ethnic violence over a brief span of 100 days between April and June 1994 (http://www.hrw.org/legacy)/reports/1999/rwanda/Geno1-3-04.htm#P95_39230 In his book, "Christianity and Genocide in Rwanda" Timothy Longman argues that both Catholic and Protestant churches helped to make the genocide possible by giving moral sanction to the killing. Churches had longed played ethnic politics themselves, favoring the Tutsi during the colonial period then switching allegiance to the Hutu after 1959, sending a message that ethnic discrimination was consistent with church teaching. The church leaders had also long had close ties with the political leaders, and after the genocide began, the church leaders called on the population to support the new interim government, the very government supporting the genocide.

A notable event was the disgraceful letter sent in 1972 to the Archbishop by a group of eleven Hutu [Roman Catholic] priests and religious leaders, referring to the Tutsi as ‘inyensi’ (cock-roaches) – a word used frequently by Hutu killers in 1994. Referring to the 1959 massacres, the letter read: “After the defeat of the counter-revolutionaries, the inyenzi, one would have thought that reasonable people, consecrated to God’s service, would bow down before the irreversible victory of the people. The Hutu seem to have fallen asleep on the laurels of victory while the Tutsis are working very hard in order to again become masters of events. How long can we allow our Tutsi brothers to make fools of us?” One of the letter’s authors, Andre Havugimana, later rose to high office in the Rwandan RC Church.

The year following that letter, the RC Church publicly endorsed the purge of Tutsis from schools, colleges and the civil service. Abuses and occasional massacres of Tutsis were the inevitable result of this persecution. In 1992, Hassan Ngeze, a journalist working for the extremist Hutu party, published a Hutu manifesto, titled The Hutu Ten Commandments’. Commandment No. 8 was “Stop having mercy on the Tutsis”.

A number of [Roman Catholic] priests actively participated in the genocide of the Tutsi, including Augustin Misago, charged in 1999 with dispatching children to serve in the Hutu militia. In one incident, dozens of unarmed Tutsis were slaughtered in a RC church. Misago said: “They brought it on themselves by hiding guns”. Two years later, a human rights group, who investigated RC participation in the massacres, wrote to the Pope saying: “One is stuck by the persistent wish to exonerate the RC hierarchy and the institution at any price”. It is sad to record that some compromising, ecumenical, once Protestant religious institutions also ‘turned a blind eye to the massacres. http://www.ianpaisley.org/article.asp?ArtKey=genocide

Lord's Resistance Army: The Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), is a Christian rebel guerrilla and terrorist group operating mainly in northern Uganda and parts of Sudan. The group is engaged in an armed rebellion against the Ugandan government. The Lord’s Resistance Army began life in the early 1980’s as the Holy Spirit Movement, led by a woman called Alice Lakwena who claimed the Holy Spirit had ordered her to overthrow the Ugandan government, which was accused of treating the Acholi people of the North unfairly.

As resentment towards the Ugandan government intensified, supporters flocked to Lakwena and the Holy Spirit movement gathered momentum, until a battle won by the government led to Lakwena’s exile. With no clear direction for the movement, a man claiming to be Lakwena’s cousin, Joseph Kony, took over as leader and rebranded the movement in 1986 as the Lord’s Resistance Army. Kony initially stated that the LRA’s mission was to overthrow the government and rule Uganda based on the Ten Commandments. Joseph Kony proclaims himself the "spokesperson" of God and a spirit medium primarily of the Christian Holy Spirit, which the Acholi believe can represent itself in many manifestations. https://www.warchild.org.uk/issues/the-lords-resistance-army Kony’s leadership is based on claims of personal revelations from God and mystical charisma. Little is known about his past, other than the fact he was a former altar boy from Gulu, who claimed to have a vision while working in the field. The doctrine of the Ten Commandments and emphasis on Acholi tradition mean the LRA operates as a unique order with its own moral and social code. It demands unquestioning devotion and loyalty, inculcated through punishment and psychological pressure. It includes rituals of coercion, and is based on secretiveness and isolation. http://www.irinnews.org/indepthmain.aspx?InDepthId=58&ReportId=72445

The rebels often masquerade as military soldiers, or pounce as villagers gather together for occasions such as church services. They launch vicious attacks, killing the weak and the old with machetes, swords or stones, and cutting off people’s ears, lips and noses to serve as a warning to others. The rebels capture those who can be useful to them, including children strong enough to carry weapons. The captives are tied together and marched to camps where they are violently indoctrinated and turned into soldiers, porters, cooks, or sex slaves. Captives are often forced to kill or rape family members, making it impossible for them to think about returning home. Those who do resist or try to escape are tortured and killed. Children have been affected the most acutely by this conflict, with thousands abducted, used as child soldiers and sex slaves, beaten and forced to torture and kill friends, family and innocent people. Those lucky enough to escape the clutches of the LRA deal with ongoing psychological trauma from their experiences, and face huge problems reintegrating back into their communities. Hundreds of thousands have been displaced from their homes and are forced to live in camps with poor sanitation and health facilities. https://www.warchild.org.uk/issues/the-lords-resistance-army

National Liberation Front of Tripura: The NLFT is a Tripuri nationalist, Christian terrorist organisation based in Tripura, India. The NLFT manifesto says that they want to expand what they describe as the kingdom of God and Jesus Christ in Tripura. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/717775.stm

The Baptist Church of Tripura was initially set up by missionaries from New Zealand in the 1940s, but despite their best efforts, only a few thousand people in Tripura had converted to Christianity. In the aftermath of one of the worst ethnic riots, the NLFT was born in 1989 with the backing of the Baptist Church of Tripura.

The NLFT has been described as engaging in terrorist violence motivated by their Christian beliefs and... is listed as a terrorist organisation in the Prevention of Terrorism Act of 2002. The [indian] government contends that the Baptist Church of Tripura supplies arms and gives financial support to the NLFT. http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries/india/states/tripura/terrorist_outfits/nlft.htm

The NLFT's terrorist activities have included:

• The arrest of Nagmanlal Halam, secretary of the Noapara Baptist Church in Tripura, in April 2000 with explosives including 50 gelatine sticks, 5kg of potassium and 2kg of sulphur and other ingredients for making explosives. Halam later confessed that for two years he had been buying explosives for the NLFT. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/717775.stm
  • Also in 2000, the NLFT threatened Hindus celebrating the religious festival of Durga Puja, warning that any tribal member seen participating in the festival would be killed. In a statement, the NLFT said it wanted all tribespeople in Tripura to become Christians because the practice of Hinduism has led to them being marginalised by people of Bengali origin living in the state. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/953200.stm
  • Armed NLFT militants have forcibly converted tribal villagers to Christianity, with as many as 5,000 tribal villagers believed to have been forcibly converted from 1999 to 2001, sometimes including the use of rape as a means of intimidation. At least 20 Hindu tribals, including a senior Hindu priest, were killed during the same time period by the NLFT for refusing to convert. http://www.rediff.com/news/2001/aug/02trip.htm
  • In August 2000, a tribal Hindu spiritual leader was shot to death by ten NLFT guerrillas, who said they wanted to convert all people in the state to Christianity.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/899422.stm
  • In 2001, there were 826 reported terrorist attacks in Tripura in which 405 people lost their lives and 481 kidnappings were made by the NLFT and related organisations such as the Christian All Tripura Tiger Force (ATTP).

So far, you can't keep up with a point. Are you Cleve's Clone, inclusive of woody and chris combined dna?

There are plenty more Christian fundamentelist terrorist groups than these, I just limited to these to save space. I can go into detail about those too, if you wish.

Have a blessed day, Cal.

giphy.gif

Key?

Don't know what the ranking is. I bet it's something no?

Anytime you bring in less civilized people into a docile sheeplike atmosphere.....

WSS

Agreed. The way women are treated in Islam is suspect at best, and is probably the bigger factor in those rapes than just immigration. It's a shame too, because I bet plenty of innocent and law abiding immigrants from those same countries, who have nothing to do with the rapes, are probably clumped in with those crazy fucks. And I wonder if those rapes are isolated to just the Islamic communites in Sweden, or among all of the women's demographics.

I'm not sure that you can blame the attitude toward women under Islam and not see the correlation with hordes of Islamic immigrants.

WSS

True, there definitely is a correlation, but that does not necessarily equal causation (though in this case, the correlation is pretty damning). I tend to view immigration more as the vehicle used by these religious nutjobs to spread their beliefs. There have been many (relatively) peaceful mass immigrations in the past. I think its the specific radical Islamic beliefs towards women that these rapists subscribe to that are the major factor.

Sweden should have been more vigilant and thorough in the vetting process for these immigrants, but to deny immigrants based soley on where they live and what religion they practice is wrong. The US can and should be more scrutinizing in their immigration policy, but if an immigrant shows that they are willing to become peaceful and productive citizens, who are we to deny them that chance?

Who are we? Sir this is our country. There are reasons there are borders, languages, flags laws etc all over the world. It's been a while but I have talked to some uno mundo people who think there should be no borders. Sorry maybe that's not the Christian Way to look at it but...

I'm not lobbying for an end to immigration across the board just much much stricter screening and higher emphasis on those who have something to offer.

WSS

True, there definitely is a correlation, but that does not necessarily equal causation (though in this case, the correlation is pretty damning). I tend to view immigration more as the vehicle used by these religious nutjobs to spread their beliefs. There have been many (relatively) peaceful mass immigrations in the past. I think its the specific radical Islamic beliefs towards women that these rapists subscribe to that are the major factor.

Sweden should have been more vigilant and thorough in the vetting process for these immigrants, but to deny immigrants based soley on where they live and what religion they practice is wrong. The US can and should be more scrutinizing in their immigration policy, but if an immigrant shows that they are willing to become peaceful and productive citizens, who are we to deny them that chance?

You're a fucking idiot.

Who are we? Sir this is our country. There are reasons there are borders, languages, flags laws etc all over the world. It's been a while but I have talked to some uno mundo people who think there should be no borders. Sorry maybe that's not the Christian Way to look at it but...

I'm not lobbying for an end to immigration across the board just much much stricter screening and higher emphasis on those who have something to offer.

WSS

And thats the perfectly reasonable way to go about it.

Archived