THE BROWNS BOARD

Are We Fitting Scheme to Players or Fitting Players to Scheme?

Tour2ma

Fitting Scheme to Players or Fitting Players to Scheme?

Question crossed my mind as I was commenting on Mangini's D's performance last nite vs. MN. Looked to me like Eric took the remnants of a great SF D and came up with a scheme to make them successful. Granted the opponent was not top shelf, but still...

Anyway the point is... isn't fitting the scheme to the players what Pet & Co. were supposed to do?

Have there been... Are there any real signs of scheme adjusting to personnel?

Either side of the ball?

I love Pet, but am having trouble thinking of examples of tailoring the scheme. in part because move after player move keep getting in the way...

I gotta go grade Game 1... back later.

I think it's pretty obvious that he departed a little from his Buffalo D to accommodate what we had. I suspect he's tried to integrate some things that he does with what Horton does so that the transition was't another major "do over"..something Haslem probably told him he had to do or the fans would have raged. I'm all for him going back to the drawing board unless there's a major turn around this week...which there has to be or we all know that the team will phone it. Was just depressing to see same old same old from the defense.

At least we don't have Eli Manning telling his running back NOT to score? What a douche! I have Jennings on several teams and was pissed when I found out. Giants deserved to lose.

Memo to Haslam: leave the football decisions to the Head Coach and stay out of their way!

GO BROWNS

Even though they glowed about him in preseason, I suspect that Pettine is trying to "scheme" around Krugers weakness's....I'm still scratching my head about running 4 down lineman with Kruger standing at the line. Basically running a 5 man front with one guy standing. I think they realize Krugers pass rushing limitations and are trying to get him into the backfield in weird ways. But now with Soloman out Krugers gonna have to be the guy again with his hands down and frankly what I saw Sunday when he did that proved that 1) he hasn't evolved his pass rushing skills in any way shape or form in 3 years and 2) what he does have is solvable by any tackle in the league from 1st string right on down through 3rd string OL.

And that's just one example, I think Pet is throwing it into the wall with multiple guys and see if something sticks. It just seems like his secondary scheme relies heavily on doing things with the LB'ers which takes them too much away from the LOS. The front guys can't cover that slack. This is just my observations and may be completely wrong. But I see our edges being asked to contribute more in run defense than they realistically have the talent to produce. It seems like they're fine if all they're being asked is to set the edge and funnel the run inside, that's basically just getting to the point and not allowing yourself to be road graded out of there by the tackle or pulling guard. But asking them to get off the edge and collapse the running lanes isn't working and it's now creating the bounce plays.

Archived