THE BROWNS BOARD

Chip Kelly Signs Thad Lewis

Opal312

Chip Kelly is grasping at straws! He's starting to make me think he's crazy! Did anyone see that game?

Demarco Murray tackled behind the line of scrimmage. Bradford looked shaky at best. They are 0-2 and I am happy we were not suckered into a trade for Bradford. Thank God!

We should probably talk about the Foles->Bradford trade... Bradford never really panned out in STL so I don't know what compelled Kelly to trade 2 draft picks and a superior QB for him.

It's starting to look like we should be grateful that Kelly didn't want to coach in Cleveland.

We should probably talk about the Foles->Bradford trade... Bradford never really panned out in STL so I don't know what compelled Kelly to trade 2 draft picks and a superior QB for him.

It's starting to look like we should be grateful that Kelly didn't want to coach in Cleveland.

Yeah, this guy thinks he can reinvent football. If I recall, one of the reasons he didn't want to come here was a lack of talent.

Well, he's blown up the Eagles with some questionable moves. The DeMarco Murray move was most likely to get him off of the Cowboys more than help the Eagles offensively.

They may recover, because the NFC East is pretty weak.

I would have kept Foles....no doubt.

But, then, Foles's team lost to the Redskins. So WTF was up with that?

One of these places may be saying Hello to Chip Kelley next year:

Colorado

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Syracuse

Also an SEC is possible. They put more emphasis on their football programs than academics...unlike the above schools...and may have more money to give Kelly.

But Kelly may like the Pac12...and that is why Colorado....a once strong program looking for new identity could go for him.

Yeah, this guy thinks he can reinvent football. If I recall, one of the reasons he didn't want to come here was a lack of talent.

Well, he's blown up the Eagles with some questionable moves. The DeMarco Murray move was most likely to get him off of the Cowboys more than help the Eagles offensively.

They may recover, because the NFC East is pretty weak.

I don't think he necessarily thinks he will reinvent football, but I do believe he is trying to moneyball the league in a way. And it's not necessarily the worst idea.

Chip's philosophy (and maybe I'm reading too much into it because it's something I've been harping on for years) has room to work in the NFL. Talk all you want about speed, read options, trickery, gimmicks, whatever... his real philosophy is more in line with simply exploiting weaknesses. Rather than stock up on speed, or size, or what have you, his acquisitions have been more well-rounded players that can fill a number of roles.

Kiko was a strong addition. He's a solid coverage backer, he's cerebral, and he's athletic enough to make plays in the backfield when needed, and he's versatile. He is talented enough to play in any scheme. If one gameplan calls for him to be in coverage more, then the next week he's called on to blitz more, he's capable of doing either without being too much of a hindrance.

Moving McCoy was in the same mindset. McCoy, for all of his talent, was a liability in pass pro. And, for what it seems, is also a fairly poor teammate. He wasn't one dimensional in the traditional aspect, he was just less well rounded than Murray.

Murray is a capable blocker, runner and receiver. His vision isn't unfortunate enough that he'll miss lanes in zone schemes, though he's more talented as an off-tackle, power runner. He's got soft enough hands to be a receiving threat, he's fast enough to have breakaway speed, and has the right mindset to be a blocker in the backfield.

Bradford was a questionable one, but it's not without the realm of logic. Foles, despite his successes in the Philly system, didn't have the skillset that Kelly wanted (namely, a more balanced repertoire), and Bradford did. Foles proved that he was athletic enough to make rare plays downfield, yet he's no real threat to rush the ball. Bradford isn't the speediest cat in the world, but he's no slouch either. Keep in mind, his combine 40 time (4.71) was only 4 tenths of a second slower than Luck's (4.67). But, the biggest difference is that Bradford is a facilitator. He makes quick reads and has a quicker release.

Kelly's not in a position to be drafting a big time QB, either. So he essentially exchanged his guy for a guy who he believed to have a much higher upside.

The moves that Kelly made are exacerbated by the media, but they make perfect sense when you look at the common variables - balance and athleticism.

Problem is, that offensive line is six piles of hot shark garbage and Jason Peters is hurt every three plays, because he's a giant fat vagina.

everybody can toot their own horn about draft picks and whoever they feel they think will be great in the NFL.

i said chip kelly would suck......50-1.

somebody gonna pay me....MFers!!!!

He's 20-14 in his third year. He went 10-6 in both of his first years - for a win % of .625. There's only two Browns coaches in the history of the franchise have higher career percentages - Paul Brown and Blanton Collier.

Even with his two losses, his current .588 record puts him fourth on the Browns list of coaches.

Nobody's paying you shit right now.

One of these places may be saying Hello to Chip Kelley next year:

Colorado

Illinois

Maryland

Purdue

Syracuse

Also an SEC is possible. They put more emphasis on their football programs than academics...unlike the above schools...and may have more money to give Kelly.

But Kelly may like the Pac12...and that is why Colorado....a once strong program looking for new identity could go for him.

More proof your college analysis is about 3 decades too old. Kelly will have a top flight college job waiting for him. Not freaking Colorado.

Auburn

Texas

Arkansas

LSU (it was thought prior to Saturday Miles was on the hot seat)

Penn Statep

So explain away letting the two stud OL walk?

You gotta think he felt the talent deficit wasn't greater than the money they were saving. Herremans and Mathis counted for like 13 million combined against the cap this year, while Barbre and Gardner count for only about three.

Even with the dead money they have to pay, they're still saving a significant amount. Not that its a solid excuse, but he must have seen enough in the (relatively) younger guys to warrant the move. As we saw last year, there's always problems jelling with new OL, regardless of how long they've been in the league. I'd say four-five games should be the full amount of time for them to get it...if they don't get it past then, they just won't.

And, to be fair, the pass pro hasn't been bad. It's been the run blocking.

All accurate. But you can't just concede 3 losses while the OL gels and you had to know that would happen when you get rid of both guards and don't pull the trigger on one until late summer.

Looking at that schedule going into the season, Kelly probably felt there would be a decent chance of going 2-2 or even 3-1 though the first four games - Atlanta finished dead last in defense last year, Washington finished 20th and NY, on paper, looked to be a steaming pile of question marks on offense.

The Atlanta defeat was likely unexpected, but the Dallas one not so much. Plus, I'm sure Chip expected Bradford to be more accurate and for his WR's to have less drops.

All goes to show...you can't plan shit in the NFL.

Eagles are not the only team to invest in pricey bookend OTs and go Ghoulie on the interior line.

What surprised me is how much Chip turned over his D and how much he spent there.

At any rate that crowded Kelly bandwagon I predicted still has plenty of good seats available...

A steaming pile of question marks. Great stuff! I am glad we picked up Austin Davis. I thought Kelly was through adding QB's, so at least we denied him Davis.

I'm seeing a Butch Davis scenario unfolding in Philly. MHO- unwise to give your HC unlimited roster control. You can count the ones who have successfully done so on one hand.

Oh- and TCPO- when Bradford gets hurt again- and the betting odds are he will, that's Sanchez and our pal Thad Lewis waiting in the wings.

Even the in the unlikely event should Sam I Am manage to stay upright this year- care to comment on their stellar WR corpse? And I do mean corpse. I seriously doubt anyone outside a fanatic Fantasy guru- anyone here could even name one of the Iggles wide receivers without looking. (I couldn't) Those stats are pretty pathetic. You could make a solid case the Browns group- which is widely bashed as the worst in the NFL is better.

BTW, they're dead last in rushing. Seven net yards against Dallas, and nine of the positive yards were by Bradford. Beyond embarrassing for an NFL team. We'd be having conniption fits here if a Browns team ever posted a mega piss-poor effort like that.

a little surprising, after the preseason they put up......a complete well oiled scoring machine(35ppg).......

which is suddenly broken.....(very)....(???)

Bradford not looking great either.....glad we didnt mortgage the future for him.......

but you WILL be mr. know it all.

how long is mr. flanders gonna let the chip kelly 'rip apart my team' experiment go on? those philly fans will rip that stadium apart. hell wear a redskins, cowboys or giants jersey down there and you'll be lucky to leave with your two front wooden teeth still in your mouth, mr.south.

He's 20-14 in his third year. He went 10-6 in both of his first years - for a win % of .625. There's only two Browns coaches in the history of the franchise have higher career percentages - Paul Brown and Blanton Collier.

Even with his two losses, his current .588 record puts him fourth on the Browns list of coaches.

Then again, one factor is that perhaps the rest of the league has caught up with Kelly's "gimmick". Sometimes new schemes and offensive designs come along and do well because the defenses haven't caught up with them. But, eventually they do catch up.

How many Run n Shoot offenses are there in the league now? Or other certain specialty offenses.

I mean....the WCO won several Super Bowls.......but then the Browns under Pat Shurmur ran the WCO as well.

So, maybe the rest of the league is simply catching on to Kelly's schtick.

And maybe the talent he has doesn't fit it....or just sucks.

More proof your college analysis is about 3 decades too old. Kelly will have a top flight college job waiting for him. Not freaking Colorado.

Auburn

Texas

Arkansas

LSU (it was thought prior to Saturday Miles was on the hot seat)

Penn State

Colorado can be....has been as good as those programs. (and...by the way....do not put Arkansas in with the rest of those).

And you missed the point I made that Kelly may want the Pac12 or the Big Ten.....I think he would prefer that. Plus I think he might like the challenge of taking a program that was pretty much nothing and turning it into something....the way he did with Oregon.

My thinking is not 3 decades old....it is about 3 years ahead of its time.

but you WILL be mr. know it all.

how long is mr. flanders gonna let the chip kelly 'rip apart my team' experiment go on? those philly fans will rip that stadium apart. hell wear a redskins, cowboys or giants jersey down there and you'll be lucky to leave with your two front wooden teeth still in your mouth, mr.south.

I mean, yeah...I might be. It's just too early to tell. You could also be paying me, because he's still better than pretty much anything we've had to this point, save for a coach or two.

An increase in offensive line production may be the catalyst that pushes that scoring machine over the top, or it could be their achilles heel. Regardless, letting (arguably) their two OL go and doing essentially nothing to replace them is Chip's biggest mistake. Not Bradford, not Murray, not Kiko.

along with pro bowl wrs and rbs.....

and a qb we'd be sweating right now.

That's the rapid fire reaction to it, sure.

But, as I said before, it makes more sense when you actually think about those players skill sets and what Kelly seems to be trying to implement in Philly.

If you say "read option" "spread" "speed" or any combination of the three - you're wrong...but also right.

Kiko was a strong addition. He's a solid coverage backer, he's cerebral, and he's athletic enough to make plays in the backfield when needed, and he's versatile. He is talented enough to play in any scheme. If one gameplan calls for him to be in coverage more, then the next week he's called on to blitz more, he's capable of doing either without being too much of a hindrance.

And just like that Kiko is out for this weekend against the Jets, a "partially torn" ACL

Archived