THE BROWNS BOARD

On to Oakland...

Tour2ma

Per Ag's Suggestion...

Last year they came to us in late October and we put them away with 14 in the 4th to win 23-13. They scored a meaningless TD with 7 seconds left.

Not sure why they come to us two-years in a row?

Here were the Offensive leaders:

Carr posted 34-54-328-1-0, McFadden(DAL) ran 12-59 and Rivera caught 7 for 83.

Hoyer posted 19-28-275-1-0, Tate ran 15-26 and Hawk caught 7/88.

Defensive Leaders were:

Tuck w/ 1 sack...

Krugs 3 sacks, Gip 1 INT, Haden-Martin-Mingo 1 FR each... in all, OAK put the ball on the ground 5 times.

Schaub threw the INT... in their bastardized, joke of a fake FG... IIRC.

Full game stats here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201410260cle.htm

My game notes from: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30727&hl=week

O-line Grades: Week 8 vs. OAK

Revelation of the week: Khalil Mack... in a word: WOW!

I ended up noting which Brown(s) had the "pleasure" of blocking him on about half the plays either because it took a noteworthy block to keep him out of the play or he defeated a block to help stymie the play. He did not always win, but he won more than his share. We double-teamed Khalil often in the 2nd half. Between Mack and Moore (#55) the Raiders have the nucleus for a strong LB Corps for years to come.

Rant of the week: Moved to:

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30734

If you rewatch only one play this week, watch S6P5. It occurs at 11:30 of Q3. I normally do not note play times anymore, just series start times, but when I saw this play, I had to note the time. In it I saw a play that vividly demonstrates what we miss with Mack out.

General Notes:

• In general we did a great deal more drive blocking this week than I remember seeing. Several times Thomas and Bito combined to collapse the OAK D-line inside. Might have been opponent driven, but might have been O-line personnel driven.
  • We also appeared to run more pure Dbl-teams this week. Again, I cannot be sure if this was design or lack of getting off a "chip", but they looked purposeful.
  • OAK's front seven did their best to duplicate the JAX blitz and stunt successes... and while they did a couple times they just could not match JAX's personnel... especially on the D-line.
  • Greco was our leading puller this week with 4.
  • I noticed this week how much we were slotting Cam prior to his injury. Stuck me as a colossal waste of strength to hand fight press coverage.
  • The early sun of this late start played hell with our first "drive". I am sure it contributed to Cam's contested drop high over the middle (S1P2) and probably was a factor in Cam's drop of the low, 1st down throw on that series' 4th and last play.
  • I love watching Gabe block... maybe as much as he loves blocking...

It's your thread now...

Cake walk game for JFF and his team. Browns 42, Oakland 6.

LOL. There is no such thing in the NFL. Use Benji as they clear out decoy and get the rest involved in the short/intermediate game with more draws to RB's and throw in some screens for a change. Ball control is the name of the game. Patience grasshoppers, patience.

Pet has JM cleaning up his fumbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrUN7XGcDqQ

66 points allowed the last 2 weeks, so definitely thinking we can score on these guys.......

And very defendable weapons on O....so, thinking we can keep the scoring to a minimum.....

This week.....the Browns run up some offense....

Doesnt matter who our QB is......we gonna win......

Browns 27.......Oakland 16

66 points allowed the last 2 weeks, so definitely thinking we can score on these guys.......

I hope if they plan on starting Johnny, they allow him to make more plays. He only threw the ball (I believe 15 times) against Tennessee. That won't get it done against Oakland. Not with Amari Cooper, Khali Mack, Crabtree, etc. I still say we should start Josh McCown. Just seems to me that Johnny goes for the big play more and if teams put more guys back there, they can shut that down. Where as Josh play a more controlled offense and goes for 1st downs more.

OAKLAND. Feeling good about this game. Don't see a blowout, but like last year, a tight game we're in control of for the most part. one passing TD, one rushing TD and a couple of field goals should be enough. Can't rely on heaves to Benjamin every game, nor a ST TD.

I also think they should start McCown. Not for the fact that he is that much better for the offense (because who knows with only one drive) but I just don't think JM is quite ready to take over the ship yet. What they have done with him so far is looking like it is working, so let him learn some more and keep working on the little things that need work (Defense recognition, running through reads, etc).

I also think they should start McCown. Not for the fact that he is that much better for the offense (because who knows with only one drive) but I just don't think JM is quite ready to take over the ship yet. What they have done with him so far is looking like it is working, so let him learn some more and keep working on the little things that need work (Defense recognition, running through reads, etc).

Perfect response hx214. Couldn't agree more

You think Haden will need help with Cooper?

He needed help with the last tall, fast receiver he faced (Marshall), so yes we need to occasionally put a safety over the top with Cooper. I love JH but Marshall burned him badly in that game.

Haden should be fine.....yeah he had a rough game against the Jets, but he certainly didnt forget how to cover all of a sudden....

Usually, its those tall-long receivers where he does well(think AJGreen).....and its the short fast guys who make him struggle(think Antonio Brown)....Id expect him to handle Cooper just fine and maybe even provide a lil schooling to the rookie.....

Pretty sure (Cooper) is their #1.

Crabtree actually has more targets after 2 games, 24 vs. 20. OAK looks to be a developing 1a and 1b situation. Both are 6'1 210-ish sized WRs... which surprised me as I think of Crabtree as taller and lankier for some reason. That said, Cooper sure looks like the tougher assignment to my eye... much tighter, crisper routes and fakes.

Biggest deal Sunday that I see is keeping a Raider running game, which has not yet gotten on track this season, from getting going. Latavius Murray, their "surprise find" from a year ago has only 109 thru 2 games. But his average is a respectable 4.2, so it may simply be game situations that have limited him. He has caught 10 balls. He did not play against us last year.

Crabtree actually has more targets after 2 games, 24 vs. 20. OAK looks to be a developing 1a and 1b situation. Both are 6'1 210-ish sized WRs... which surprised me as I think of Crabtree as taller and lankier for some reason. That said, Cooper sure looks like the tougher assignment to my eye... much tighter, crisper routes and fakes.

Biggest deal Sunday that I see is keeping a Raider running game, which has not yet gotten on track this season, from getting going. Latavius Murray, their "surprise find" from a year ago has only 109 thru 2 games. But his average is a respectable 4.2, so it may simply be game situations that have limited him. He has caught 10 balls. He did not play against us last year.

Targets don't necessarily mean so much - when we have greg little as our #1, and massequoi as #2, but little is covered by revis and massequoi keeps getting open, he gets the targets.

Just a trip down memory lane to remind everyone how far we've come.

All true, Chris...

Will be interesting to see if we go away from trend of Haden on opponent's "best" and either:

1. let Haden and Williams stay on a side of the field and cover whomever comes to them; or

2. actually put Haden on Crabtree and T.Williams on Cooper.

I actually like the latter with the grizzled. more physical vet on the rookie and the quicker Haden on Crabtree. Also should give Haden ball opportunities he would not see on the tighter moving rook... could jump start Joe's season.

I love our DB vs. WR matchup this week. I think Haden on Crabtree and WIlliams on Cooper will all-but shut down those guys. We need to get pressure on Carr AND be able to stop the run... I see very low scoring on the part of the Raiders...

I like our O-line vs. the Raiders' D... I think the run game will be strong with a good mix of Crowell/Johnson again, and we'll infuse a bunch of quick-release routes and rely on our little guys for YAC...

The Raiders are improved over last year, but so are we... I think we'll see a low scoring 20-13 Browns victory...

Crabtree is slow compared to Cooper. I like that combo suggestion with Haden on Crabtree. He would never get open. The key will be to get to Carr before he can get anything long downfield. And until we show we can see the screen, expect a lot of that.

True, Ag... Cooper 4.3-ish and Crab 4.5-ish. But I think Cooper is also more physical and that leans me more towards T.Williams getting him.

But what do I know... I'm an O-line guy... ;)

While he has the arm for it, I think Carr is still not a deep ball guy. Over half of his big, week-2 TD to Cooper was YAC.

Can't find a distribution chart maybe one of our FPP folks can help.

Agree with the prep for screens caution...

Browns 35 Raiders 20.

A big sigh of relief when Josh McCown throws for 340 yards and 3TDs gets a couple of first downs with his legs and proves once and for all he can slide. Browns prove that have a efficient Starting QB and a competent Back up trying to learn his way towards 2016 starting battle with who ever...

Well from my day 2 day status I was down graded to a coaches decision for Sunday. Leaving Saturday to Virginia Beach to fish with father in law in the coaches home town. Good chance of bad weather so a good chance of a sports bar to watch the D Pound & The O Ground to another big W 27-10ish. Keep the stools in the upright position at all times in The Tavern and holler at ya Tuesday. Road Warriors-- Tilted Kilt in VB yet? Sports Bar in VB with NFL ticket besides Hooters, got any others?

I've only been in VA Beach once... picked up a mint pair of original Large Advent Loudspeakers for the collection. Ate at a great little bar/restaurant named Chicks Oyster Bar... had great Crabcake sammies... but only a couple TVs...

When on the road just google "browns backers" and use their Backer Tracker...

ta da...

Tidewater Browns Backers

401 North Witchduck Rd, Virginia Beach, VA, 23455, US

Appears to be a place named AJ Gators... About 10 miles West of VA Beach...

http://fans.clevelandbrowns.com/backer-tracker?zip=virginia%20beach&rad=40

Archived