THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm going to buy a new gun

Pumpkin Eater

need some more Muslim defense. The home defender 12 ga. pump is fine for the house, but who knows when the next Muslim attack will be? Who knows where? I'm looking for a nice concealed carry weapon, probably a .380 semi or maybe a Rossi .380 revolver. I hear Ruger makes the best .380 you can get at a $350 price point.

Our Sccy 9 mm kicks a bit too much for my Wife's liking.

It's smaller, and very easy to conceal and carry.

Smaller and lighter, a bit bigger kick, that a bigger, heavier gun...?

And she isn't a newbie to guns, she used to work at her

boyfriend's uncle's gun shop.

Which, I never knew when we were dating.... and I was showing her

how to aim and shoot my .22 magnum rifle..

I get done with my safety speech, etc, and finally let her shoot, and she

nailed all eight targets like Annie Oakley..... THEN she told me...

very funny....

I'd like to get her a .380 or something. not a .22, that doesn't kick as much, and has a

easier slide for teaching a few friends who have been asking. Maybe a Warther....

With a .45... I think the kick would make it harder to shoot at two threatening targets quickly

enough. The recovery when I shot a friends 1911 just seems a bit much. 9mm hollow point

will stop a crazed muslim terrorist or any other nutjob just fine, I think.

I was wondering about a .25 - at an auction we went to, but don't know anything about that.

It was an Italian make - older gun...

Cal. A single hollow point 9mm won't always stop a crazed anything/anyone. It's not the movies.

But 15 of them(as you are trained to fire until the threat is neutralized/eliminated) will give you a chance of getting yourself/loved ones to safety. As long as you train center of mass, MOBG (moment of bad guy)- roughly the size of a dinner plate.

.45 acp doesn't kick as much as it "pushes". Which is the best way I can describe it (and heard it described). The difference in "kick" between a 9mm polymer mid sized handgun (eg Glock 19) and a metal 1911 chambered in .45acp is negligible. Some (1st time) women I've shot with have preferred the 1911 because of the smooth action and balance.

Logic describes the "snap" of a .40 cal pretty well and has to do with muzzle flip/rise. I find getting a .45 back on target much easier than a .40cal in comparable sized/weight guns (Glock 30 and Glock 23) due to the "snappy" phenomenon of the .40 cal round.

Ok. Yes, a 9mm has more velocity. But that velocity sort of prevents the bullet from doing as much damage in a Muslim. The .380 is slower but has more time to expand thus inflicting more damage to a Muslim. That's the supposed story.

I disagree with supposed story, the main benefit is .380 is a bit easier to conceal and handle.

In short range the velocity difference would likely not make much difference in terms of stopping somebody, 9mm gives you a little more accuracy over a longer range.

Cal. A single hollow point 9mm won't always stop a crazed anything/anyone. It's not the movies.

But 15 of them(as you are trained to fire until the threat is neutralized/eliminated) will give you a chance of getting yourself/loved ones to safety. As long as you train center of mass, MOBG (moment of bad guy)- roughly the size of a dinner plate.

.45 acp doesn't kick as much as it "pushes". Which is the best way I can describe it (and heard it described). The difference in "kick" between a 9mm polymer mid sized handgun (eg Glock 19) and a metal 1911 chambered in .45acp is negligible. Some (1st time) women I've shot with have preferred the 1911 because of the smooth action and balance.

Logic describes the "snap" of a .40 cal pretty well and has to do with muzzle flip/rise. I find getting a .45 back on target much easier than a .40cal in comparable sized/weight guns (Glock 30 and Glock 23) due to the "snappy" phenomenon of the .40 cal round.

Interesting. Could his 1911 have been a .40? It seems like shooting a hand cannon or something.

I just think the "snap" took me off target more, and farther. I can regain a target pretty quickly with my 9mm...

1. I need to see if my CCW instructor teaches an advanced course.

2. I need to practice once in a while.

3. I just bought a Lux-pro tactical flashlight. 320 lumens, 220 ft. I can target a threat in the dark,

(couldn't find any night sights for the sccy....), and blind an attacker temporarily and get away,

I think an unarmed attacker... you still have to fear for your safety - but unarmed... I'd rather not

have to shoot somebody if they don't carry a weapon.

4. #3 is interesting, and a concern to how I would react in a real situation. Maybe the threat is a

middle eastern looking terrorist running at us yelling "alahu aakbar" sp? holding a button up

in the air. Hopefully, he's still a hundred yards away, eh? Maybe it's only an ink pen or pencil?

Wait...that's still a weapon...

5. I'm glad some of you guys know a lot about this subject, wish I did.

Ok. Yes, a 9mm has more velocity. But that velocity sort of prevents the bullet from doing as much damage in a Muslim. The .380 is slower but has more time to expand thus inflicting more damage to a Muslim. That's the supposed story.

Modern hollowpoints all expand and do their job inside of the intended target. In fact, I had a knucklehead tap a round off inside of a gymnasium. The bullet hit an interior wall, expanded, and did not pass through to the other side. The 9mm hollowpoint did exactly what it was supposed to. The guy was booted out immediately.

Interesting. Could his 1911 have been a .40? It seems like shooting a hand cannon or something.

I just think the "snap" took me off target more, and farther. I can regain a target pretty quickly with my 9mm...

Some people have issues with 1911s due to proper grip. I think if someone were to show you then you would have a different opinion about the 1911. They are smooth shooters.

Modern hollowpoints all expand and do their job inside of the intended target. In fact, I had a knucklehead tap a round off inside of a gymnasium. The bullet hit an interior wall, expanded, and did not pass through to the other side. The 9mm hollowpoint did exactly what it was supposed to. The guy was booted out immediately.

Desk pop.

Archived