THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 DRAFT who's your boy?

Clevfan4life

We need a franchise QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdm3TayuSUo

You fucked up if you think Paxton will step in day 1 and be that.

Bosa's game (to be) compares favorably to Michael Bennett (of Seattle)

He'll be your 5tech on early downs because he has the speed to still turn the corner, but he'll slide to a 3spot on passing downs and wreak hell on guards.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'll be your 5tech on early downs because he has the speed to still turn the corner, but he'll slide to a 3spot on passing downs and wreak hell on guards.

I don't like him as the 3, they'd have to put too much weight on him. I would slide him between the 5 tech on days we deem that a 3-4 would be better and the 4-3DE on days we run that. I would prefer to keep Bosa 1v1 as much as possible and not break him down with constant double teams.

Nobody said he will step in on day one. That doesn't mean the Browns still don't need a

franchise QB. Add Bosa to this team and he could be a star.BUT that begs the point that

you still need a franchise QB. Bosa MAY help you win a game or so but a franchise QB

lifts the entire team.Put Bosa,Bennett,JJ Watt on the Patriots and take away Brady.Are you

better off??? The Browns STILL need a QB be it Paxton or whomever. You are never going

to win consistently without at LEAST an above average QB and we don't have one.And I have

no clue whether it is Paxton,Connor Cook, Goff,or whomever but if it determined one of these

guys can be a franchise guy you must take him over Bosa.

Nobody said he will step in on day one. That doesn't mean the Browns still don't need a

franchise QB. Add Bosa to this team and he could be a star.BUT that begs the point that

you still need a franchise QB. Bosa MAY help you win a game or so but a franchise QB

lifts the entire team.Put Bosa,Bennett,JJ Watt on the Patriots and take away Brady.Are you

better off??? The Browns STILL need a QB be it Paxton or whomever. You are never going

to win consistently without at LEAST an above average QB and we don't have one.And I have

no clue whether it is Paxton,Connor Cook, Goff,or whomever but if it determined one of these

Ur right a franchise QB does outright win you games sometimes, but you have to have a competent defense. And to do that you have to draft "talent". If there was a near sure fire franchise QB in this draft and not just another 2 year and out jabroni, that would obviously be something the Browns needed to look at. There's not that guy in this draft. There's guys who have potential for sure, but with our high draft pick this year we have to take someone that is going to produce from day one. It's a short list. Bosa is on it, he's a guy you can build a defense around. There might also be some excellent MLB'ers worthy of the high pick.

So you agree that a franchise QB doesn't often step in from day one and start making the team better? Maybe they take a year or two to really get in to their groove and get adjusted to life in the NFL.

Gee, if only we'd drafted a QB in the first round last year that is now looking pretty decent, but maybe a little inconsistent and in need of game time. That would be great, we could maybe even make him the starter for the rest of the season so we can see if he's progressing as we expect, and then see where we stand.

And I have no clue whether it is Paxton,Connor Cook, Goff,or whomever but if it determined one of these

Well....if you have no clue on which of these 4 is "the" one.....then how are you so CERTAIN we dont have the right guy now????

Your eyes tell you when pro QB's suck, but cant do the same with prospects???.....hmmmm.(side eye)

How about this.....usually when there is no standout QB in the upcoming draft, that means there is only about a 20% chance the one you pick will be the "right" one.....so, lets roll the dice again?....and then spend another year attacking the guy that did it because he didnt hit????

On the other hand, if there is an obvious standout player at another position of need...you gotta take him.....thats what good teams do....they draft the best players....not needs

Otherwise, we end up with another first round QB bust, while we watch the guy we passed on ripping it up with another team.....

Bottom line, you don't take a QB simply to address the 'franchise' elephant in the room. You pick a guy because he has the makings of a ten year signal caller.

Picking a QB and trying to convince yourself he's the guy is how you end up with Gabbert, Freeman, Weeden etc etc.

Well....if you have no clue on which of these 4 is "the" one.....then how are you so CERTAIN we dont have the right guy now????

Your eyes tell you when pro QB's suck, but cant do the same with prospects???.....hmmmm.(side eye)

How about this.....usually when there is no standout QB in the upcoming draft, that means there is only about a 20% chance the one you pick will be the "right" one.....so, lets roll the dice again?....and then spend another year attacking the guy that did it because he didnt hit????

On the other hand, if there is an obvious standout player at another position of need...you gotta take him.....thats what good teams do....they draft the best players....not needs

Otherwise, we end up with another first round QB bust, while we watch the guy we passed on ripping it up with another team.....

4 sure Mud. Nice job with that!

With first round QBs - you gotta hope you have the right guy in the front office that can identify an Aaron Rodgers capable of beating a much more talented team like USC aside from the other necessary assets. Kosar and Elway were beating more talented teams they weren't supposed to beat as well. We also could have drafted Ben Rape-free-B4-Pittsburgh without even trading away our 3rd round pick at the time. I'm okay with that one though; because I couldn't root for a serial rapist. I'd still like to have a better Front Office than we've been gagging on. There's something to be said for a football season that keeps our excitement after September. Tell that to Ghoolie though. Apparently, we've looked like the 72 Dolphins here every season before and after Kosar. FWIW, Kosar won a National Championship over a much more talented Nebraska Team before putting us in ideal positions to beat Denver in both of a first 2 AFC Championship Games but shhhhh! We'll keep that little secret with fans that actually watch this team.

In other rounds/drafts like the Expansion Draft, we chose a QB that had gambling issues in college (Scott Milanovich) over Kurt Warner. We also chose the dreadful completion percentages of Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady when we weren't the only team that didn't understand what Brady was destined to become. One thing we have learned the hard way is you separate the does from the bucks and the do's from the don'ts in the front office. We're still partying like it's 1999.

In any event, my favorite prospect from Ohio State is the best RB in the country Zeke Elliott. I'm pretty sure Alabama can easily distinguish between Zeke and the LSU kid they easily smothered and swarmed. Hold on a second, I think Zeke just scored on Alabama again. Meatball on spaghetti, not only is Zeke a great blocker - but his coach says he loves to block. That's the first clue he's not going to show up to the NFL as an entitled Diva. He's gonna be somebody's Victorious Secrets that isn't willing to hurt themselves overthinking what's on their doorstep (if he comes out). I haven't seen a RB that can score from anywhere on the field in Cleveland since Greg Pruitt played here. That said, when you have a Farmer in your Front Office begging to be a Jeff Foxworthy punchline - I can almost read the gift card to Ozzie Newsome when he gift wraps Elliott to the Birdcage "All My Love and Spray" - Ray Farmer.

While this might not sound fair - our history with drafting defensive linemen in round 1 since 1999 hasn't exactly been wonderful.

In 2000, we drafted Courtney Brown first overall. Ironically, we didn't get a Pro Bowl pass rush off the edge until the instant we lost Brown to injury with FA LBer Jamir Miller putting a hand in the dirt.

Then, there's Gerrard Warren and Phil Taylor. Yipppeee!

A mono-toned comedian named Stephen Wright once said he loves to mess with the minds of his pets when he's training them so he named his dog Stay. "Come here STAY!" That's exactly what's going on with our defensive line this year. Danny Shelton was an Academic All American; and this staff took a sledge hammer to that asset. They also decided it be really fun to add in 40 yard winds sprints on and off the field for their 350 lb DT because apparently a REAL man takes on a double team that includes Nick Mangold - when he's out of breath. Any prospect coming from good coaching to the paralysis from over-analysis in Cleveland learns that a mindset of sic em, sock em and sack em gets a lobotomy in Berea.

Ever since the brain trust in Cleveland shattered my rose colored glasses - I can't find a store that sells them.

I don't like him as the 3, they'd have to put too much weight on him. I would slide him between the 5 tech on days we deem that a 3-4 would be better and the 4-3DE on days we run that. I would prefer to keep Bosa 1v1 as much as possible and not break him down with constant double teams.

Pretty sure that's almost exactly what I said?

He'll be your starting 5 tech regardless of the defensive alignment on running downs. He'll be a 3 on passing downs and maybe stay at his 5 spot.

Again, there is a reason I compare his game to Michael Bennett. The Hawks use him in a similar manner to great effectiveness.

I'll catch hell for this, but I'm thinking Johnny will be, & should be, our starting QB next year. That's our best case scenario...to NOT need to go QB early in 2016. I want to go offensive skill players in rounds 1 & 2 next year...Zeke & the best big WR available. Don't forget Braxton Miller in late 2nd or 3rd round. We need weapons.

Mike

I'll catch hell for this, but I'm thinking Johnny will be, & should be, our starting QB next year. That's our best case scenario...to NOT need to go QB early in 2016. I want to go offensive skill players in rounds 1 & 2 next year...Zeke & the best big WR available. Don't forget Braxton Miller in late 2nd or 3rd round. We need weapons.

Mike

Not from me - well done Mike!

Mike

I agree with you but I'd rather as of today I'd rather see the top pick be a difference maker on defense. A true guy to rally behind ala Luke K. in Carolina.

Pretty sure that's almost exactly what I said?

He'll be your starting 5 tech regardless of the defensive alignment on running downs. He'll be a 3 on passing downs and maybe stay at his 5 spot.

Again, there is a reason I compare his game to Michael Bennett. The Hawks use him in a similar manner to great effectiveness.

I can't justify taking him off the edge. Did you see in the game today how he reads the read option? He's too good on the edge to put inside much. See the way he slides down the line and makes tackles on runs that went to the left away from him? This kid is something else. Michigan St O line is one of the best in the country and they've had to chip and double him the whole game....and he still gets off his man and affects the play. His stats for the day might not look good on paper but he is clearly affecting MI St's offensive game plan.

For those after OSU loss than watched Baylor & OK state add #38 Emmanuel Ogbah to the list. DE he's a JR. 6' 4" 275 lbs. This boy is a man that gets to QB's..

I can't justify taking him off the edge. Did you see in the game today how he reads the read option? He's too good on the edge to put inside much. See the way he slides down the line and makes tackles on runs that went to the left away from him? This kid is something else. Michigan St O line is one of the best in the country and they've had to chip and double him the whole game....and he still gets off his man and affects the play. His stats for the day might not look good on paper but he is clearly affecting MI St's offensive game plan.

Come on with this stuff. This guy could take a smelly shit right now and I'd be hearing it smells like the top selling cologne. Games aren't played on paper especially when it's windy and raining.The biggest effect Bosa had all day was when they kicked him inside to line up against a cup protection for Michigan State's 2nd or 3rd string QB (they rotated the 2). I know this is hard to believe but cup protections often require a double team somewhere inside closer to where the ball is snapped. Consequently, Bosa drew it and the guy (#6) who lined up outside at Bosa's normal spot made a big play getting to the QB. As the game unfolded, Sparty realized they were a lot better than Illinois so they decided to adjust how many guys they needed to waste on Bosa to the extent LBers were getting more attention. And it worked regardless of the Dial-A-QB situation MSU had to overcome.

Bosa had 3 offsides penalties and 1 was brutal enough to change 3rd and 8 to a very doable 3rd and 3. In Sparty's second half scoring drives, they ran right where Bosa lined up. 1 time, a very skinny #83 was isolated on Bosa driving him from the right side of the television screen all the way to the left of the screen until he was off the screen altogether. They also showed the replay just so I could confirm only 1 guy was doing that. When such a luxury was taking place, someone else playside was able to block the OSU LBer. Some of you guys are acting like Bosa is the only DE you've ever seen necessitating an occasional chip from the TE. And when you see a RB in to help out - it's the first time you've ever seen that too?

FWIW, when Reggie White was leading the NFL in sacks and frequenting Pro Bowls - there were always TEs chipping with a RB in the backfield helping out. If they were indeed tripling/quadrupling Bosa eating up blockers like Pez - why was the LBer help nowhere to be found late in the game? Maybe, just maybe, they weren't using all their blockers on Bosa? I think the kid is talented and he can get up under guys to remove their entire base to win position and leverage; but first overall picks are supposed to be football messiahs in terms of impact. Yesterday was an ideal stage in the rain to prove he's that guy and all I'm gonna hear is a bunch of excuses and explanations of why he was not that guy. When his neighborhood got picked on - why were all his neighbors getting blocked? Sparty figured something out; and the minute they did - they owned the day.

FWIW, backside clampdowns got Courtney Brown drafted first overall because he had an adorable tackles for loss resume to go with a Mike Mamula-esque workout summed up as "gonna hurt people." Here's the thing, the Michigan matchup vrs Penn State back in 99 said don't feed the back side clamp down - just run right AT him. They did with a long sustained scoring drives that beat Penn State. They also learned they didn't even have to double Courtney Brown in the process, which was exactly how NFL life ahead became. The pertinence of that is where did Michigan State run when they needed to knot the score and get into FG position twice? Right AT Bosa and he played exactly like a Brown. When he did make tackles late in the game - they were about 10 yards downfield.

I know everybody loves Ohio State; but I'm not seeing the next Reggie White or JJ Watt. JJ Watt single-handedly closed down Ohio State ranging from whipping an All Conference Center's ass to kicking tail on the edge. He owned the day and the stage against the best opponent on his schedule. There were no "yeah, but they double teamed him" excuses required. He dominated the best offensive line in the conference. The weather dictated that the best trench warriors would own the day and you saw the outcome. Get the meaningless Illinois matchup out of your head because that wasn't an NFL measuring stick like yesterday was.

I LIKE Bosa so I don't want to see him setup to be somebody's major disappointment, which could easily happen if he went to a clusterphuck like Cleveland. Our 5 techniques never need to be doubled or quickly chipped and they still don't get the LBer help Ohio State usually offers Bosa (outside of yesterday). As Hoorta said elsewhere, Big Daddy Wilkinson once got played up as a sure thing ready to dominate at the NFL level and it never happened. He did actually have a decent career but because of how high he got drafted - many labelled him a bad pick when he wasn't. He just didn't dominate like his draft slot required him to. I've been wrong before so it's possible I'm wrong again but let's not pretend yesterday was exactly what you wanted to see from Bosa. I tooted Elliott as my guy and I'm disappointed in the way he played and conducted himself afterward.

Come on with this stuff. This guy could take a smelly shit right now and I'd be hearing it smells like the top selling cologne. Games aren't played on paper especially when it's windy and raining.The biggest effect Bosa had all day was when they kicked him inside to line up against a cup protection for Michigan State's 2nd or 3rd string QB (they rotated the 2). I know this is hard to believe but cup protections often require a double team somewhere inside closer to where the ball is snapped. Consequently, Bosa drew it and the guy (#6) who lined up outside at Bosa's normal spot made a big play getting to the QB. As the game unfolded, Sparty realized they were a lot better than Illinois so they decided to adjust how many guys they needed to waste on Bosa to the extent LBers were getting more attention. And it worked regardless of the Dial-A-QB situation MSU had to overcome.

Bosa had 3 offsides penalties and 1 was brutal enough to change 3rd and 8 to a very doable 3rd and 3. In Sparty's second half scoring drives, they ran right where Bosa lined up. 1 time, a very skinny #83 was isolated on Bosa driving him from the right side of the television screen all the way to the left of the screen until he was off the screen altogether. They also showed the replay just so I could confirm only 1 guy was doing that. When such a luxury was taking place, someone else playside was able to block the OSU LBer. Some of you guys are acting like Bosa is the only DE you've ever seen necessitating an occasional chip from the TE. And when you see a RB in to help out - it's the first time you've ever seen that too?

I know everybody loves Ohio State; but I'm not seeing the next Reggie White or JJ Watt.

I think we agree on this one...

He had a rough game, and I feel bad for him. He's still a very talented player, and he's allowed to have an off game now and then. Of course, you'd like to see him play his best when it matters most, but that doesn't always happen. I think the biggest issue I'm seeing right now is the fact I don't see ANYONE worthy of the #1 pick. Maybe that OL Tunsil...but I don't see us going that route. To be honest, I don't see us having the #1 pick either, but it certainly appears we'll be in the top 5. Bosa certainly fills an immense need on our team, and we are desperate for talented pass rushers. Another position of need is WR, and Laquon Treadwell is the guy I'm hearing as the best WR in the draft. He's not a giant, I believe he's listed around 6'2, but he plays much bigger, and he WILL go up and snag the ball. Again, is he worthy of a top 5 selection? We all know that Farmer has not historically placed that much value on WR's early in the draft...but maybe he's learned from that. Those are my two guys, and they both fill gigantic voids on our team. We obviously can't depend on Josh Gordon, and Mary Kay said there are people within our organization that are ready to part ways, and we have some that want him back. If for whatever reason Gordon does come back, AND we draft Treadwell...the dynamic of our offense COMPLETELY changes.

Hey...a fan can dream. Of course, Bosa and Treadwell are only my two favs assuming Manziel is our future. I really do believe Manziel will demonstrate enough promise and talent to be our starter next year, so we won't select a QB with our first pick of the draft. I'm not saying we won't take one with our second, third, or fourth...but I don't believe we'll take a QB first overall. As of right now, I don't see a QB candidate with enough talent to warrant that selection. I'm intrigued by a few, but nobody in this upcoming draft screams, "I can come in right now and start".

Remember how clueless Johnny looked last year? Look at the difference a year makes. I'm not saying Manziel has looked like the second coming, but he's definitely a different guy. Who is to say he won't have another dramatic improvement next year...or even THIS season? That Bengals defense has made a ton of QB's look bad or mediocre. Manziel can be our guy.

Right now... for the Browns?

Joey Bosa is my #1. He has been inconsistent this year, but his upside cannot be denied.

Jaylon Smith is a good target at this point. He plays very fast and is super-talented. He could immediately start over Kirksey or Robertson IMHO.

Jalen Ramsey is a freak athlete. If we lose Gipson, this kid would be an immediate replacement.

Shilique Calhoun, Scooby Wright, Jonathan Allen, and Yannick Ngakoue... All look like potential 3-down OLBs with Calhoun being my favorite out of the bunch...

Treadwell and Thomas also look pretty good as WRs, but not Top 5 pick type of good...

Right now, I have a hard time seeing anybody that is worth a top 3 pick... other than Bosa maybe... so if we are picking that high, I would love to see us make a trade with a QB-needy team so we can add talent on the front 7 and at the skill positions...

Bottom line, you don't take a QB simply to address the 'franchise' elephant in the room. You pick a guy because he has the makings of a ten year signal caller.

Picking a QB and trying to convince yourself he's the guy is how you end up with Gabbert, Freeman, Weeden etc etc.

Joe Montana: 3rd round pick

Tom Brady: 6th round pick

Russell Wilson: 3rd round pick.

Favre: 2d round pick

Brees: 2d round pick

Dan Fouts: 3rd round pick

John Unitas: 9th round pick

Bart Starr: 17th round pick

But, OK your chances are better with this:

Terry Bradshaw #1 overall pick

Peyton Manning #1 overall pick

John Elway #1 overall pick

Troy Aikman #1 overall pick

So, you can go high....and you can go low. But finding a guy is tough.

Joe Montana: 3rd round pick

Tom Brady: 6th round pick

Russell Wilson: 3rd round pick.

Favre: 2d round pick

Brees: 2d round pick

Dan Fouts: 3rd round pick

John Unitas: 9th round pick

Bart Starr: 17th round pick

But, OK your chances are better with this:

Terry Bradshaw #1 overall pick

Peyton Manning #1 overall pick

John Elway #1 overall pick

Troy Aikman #1 overall pick

So, you can go high....and you can go low. But finding a guy is tough.

You set a person with your can't miss attributes. You find the guy who best fits this profile. You take him if he's available. End of story.

Your profile doesn't have to be, and probably shouldn't be, the same as another team's. Similar, but not the same. I recently read an article on common attributes between top level franchise guys. May have been posted here, may have been on Reddit, I can't remember. But many of the top guys have many of the same attributes.

For instance, my profile would be:

1) Competitive/ High Work Ethic

2) Intelligent

3) Pocket Awareness

4) Above Average Pocket Awareness

5) Arm Strength

Those are my absolute five. If they don't possess those traits - I wouldn't take them. I feel like I could take a guy with those traits and win games - they are the most important to running my system. Mobility, size, elusiveness, win/loss percentage, strength of schedule, P5 conference - those are all added benefits, but they don't take the place of any of the above 5 traits.

You set a person with your can't miss attributes. You find the guy who best fits this profile. You take him if he's available. End of story.

It would be nice if it could work out that way. It often does not. I am sure the Raiders thought they had that with Jamarcus Russell. The Chargers with Ryan Leaf etc. etc.

Your profile doesn't have to be, and probably shouldn't be, the same as another team's. Similar, but not the same. I recently read an article on common attributes between top level franchise guys. May have been posted here, may have been on Reddit, I can't remember. But many of the top guys have many of the same attributes.

2) Intelligent

3) Pocket Awareness

5) Arm Strength

Your Profile? Pocket Awareness? Did your mama cut holes in your pockets so you would have something to play with? :D

Errr...did you mean this is the profile you would want to see from a QB.

Those are my absolute five. If they don't possess those traits - I wouldn't take them. I feel like I could take a guy with those traits and win games - they are the most important to running my system. Mobility, size, elusiveness, win/loss percentage, strength of schedule, P5 conference - those are all added benefits, but they don't take the place of any of the above 5 traits.

Have you applied for a scouting position with the Browns?

It would be nice if it could work out that way. It often does not. I am sure the Raiders thought they had that with Jamarcus Russell. The Chargers with Ryan Leaf etc. etc.

2) Intelligent

3) Pocket Awareness

5) Arm Strength

Your Profile? Pocket Awareness? Did your mama cut holes in your pockets so you would have something to play with? :D

Errr...did you mean this is the profile you would want to see from a QB.

Have you applied for a scouting position with the Browns?

I think that often teams go into drafts with no profile, or are so enticed by certain aspects that hey are willing to go off profile.

For instance, you're sitting their with the first overall pick and there's a guy with 6'5" size and 4.4 speed and a cannon for an arm is there, but only fits three out of five aspects of your profile...what do you do? That is an enticing player to pass up, because there's a chance he's a generational player. However, he's lazy and he's relatively inaccurate. For some teams, that's not a problem - but in the system I would implement, those would be game breakers regardless of physical prowess.

The profile exists for a reason, good teams trust the profile...bad teams do not.

I would love to be a scout, I think most of us would.

Archived