THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 DRAFT who's your boy?

Clevfan4life

I think that often teams go into drafts with no profile, or are so enticed by certain aspects that hey are willing to go off profile.

For instance, you're sitting their with the first overall pick and there's a guy with 6'5" size and 4.4 speed and a cannon for an arm is there, but only fits three out of five aspects of your profile...what do you do? That is an enticing player to pass up, because there's a chance he's a generational player. However, he's lazy and he's relatively inaccurate. For some teams, that's not a problem - but in the system I would implement, those would be game breakers regardless of physical prowess.

I believe that a person that would fulfull all the attributes that you are looking for may only come around once every 10-12 years. Elway, Peyton, Luck.

(maybe Newton?)

In between I guess teams have to "settle" for a guy that has most but not all of those assets.

The profile exists for a reason, good teams trust the profile...bad teams do not.

But, serendipity is at play as well. You have to be bad at the right time....or have some other luck working for you.

(or, in the Colts case....create your own bad luck by purposely tanking at the right time).

It always seems like the Colts are at play in these situations.....drafted Elway...Elway smart enough to know not to play for Irsay Sr......Broncos get lucky. Tanked for both Peyton and Luck.

I would love to be a scout, I think most of us would.

Most of us may like it, but couldn't do it. Like me. I never played in college and wouldn't know the real intracacies of scouting a player....li, you may having done that.

Though....it seems some times us rank amateurs could do a better guy than the professionals actually doing it. E. g. I wanted the Browns to take Martavis Bryant in the third round of that draft. They pass him up....and trade up for Terrence West.....who is simply acting now as a snitch for the Ravens....and Bryant is a star. I could have drafted that one better than Farmer...or Lombardi...or whomever made that pick.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that often teams go into drafts with no profile, or are so enticed by certain aspects that hey are willing to go off profile.

For instance, you're sitting their with the first overall pick and there's a guy with 6'5" size and 4.4 speed and a cannon for an arm is there, but only fits three out of five aspects of your profile...what do you do? That is an enticing player to pass up, because there's a chance he's a generational player. However, he's lazy and he's relatively inaccurate. For some teams, that's not a problem - but in the system I would implement, those would be game breakers regardless of physical prowess.

I believe that a person that would fulfull all the attributes that you are looking for may only come around once every 10-12 years. Elway, Peyton, Luck.

(maybe Newton?)

In between I guess teams have to "settle" for a guy that has most but not all of those assets.

The profile exists for a reason, good teams trust the profile...bad teams do not.

But, serendipity is at play as well. You have to be bad at the right time....or have some other luck working for you.

(or, in the Colts case....create your own bad luck by purposely tanking at the right time).

It always seems like the Colts are at play in these situations.....drafted Elway...Elway smart enough to know not to play for Irsay Sr......Broncos get lucky. Tanked for both Peyton and Luck.

I would love to be a scout, I think most of us would.

Most of us may like it, but couldn't do it. Like me. I never played in college and wouldn't know the real intracacies of scouting a player....li, you may having done that.

Though....it seems some times us rank amateurs could do a better guy than the professionals actually doing it. E. g. I wanted the Browns to take Martavis Bryant in the third round of that draft. They pass him up....and trade up for Terrence West.....who is simply acting now as a snitch for the Ravens....and Bryant is a star. I could have drafted that one better than Farmer...or Lombardi...or whomever made that pick.

I think there are plenty of guys that exemplify that list if you are willing to overlook other aspects. For instance, I'd say Johnny possesses those qualities, with a question mark on his work ethic. He has above average accuracy and arm strength. It's safe to say he has great awareness, it's what he does after he feels pressure that needs to be refined. And he is highly competitive and has high football IQ.

I think all of our QB's possess these five traits, actually - with the exception of Shaw (arm strength).

The combination of the above traits along with mobility,elusiveness, size, etc. is where the generational prospects may come in. But there's probably two QB's a draft that are accurate, competitive, aware, intelligent, slightly strong QB's. They just have faced weak competition, or they are undersized, or they have off-field concerns, or they lost a lot of college games.

I believe a lot of it has to do with the environment you're put in. Martavis has great talent around him and, for the most part, isn't relied on whatsoever in that offense. He's drawing second tier coverage and has a future HOF QB throwing to him, along with two talented RB's that the defenses have to key in on. It's the same as Mike Wallace in my opinion. Very talented player who benefits from the environment that he's in. Could he replicate the same success here? I don't believe so. Would he be better than any receiver not named Benjamin (and also probably Benjamin) - probably.

Archived