THE BROWNS BOARD

The Peanuts Movie

The Peanuts Movie

20th Century Fox

G. 97 min

So I'm assuming that some of our readers have small children or possibly grandchildren right? I'm not talking about 14 year olds or 10 year olds, but little kids. Little kids that you don't want to take to a movie with dirty language or fart jokes or people getting smacked in the nuts right? (all of which are unfortunately featured and the Chipmunks trailer ) None of that pg 17, or PG, but good old fashioned G.

If that's what you are looking for I have the perfect movie for the occasion.

With the Christmas shopping season upon us grandma might want to take the kids to a movie while the folks go shopping and a perfect place to take the little buggers is to THE PEANUTS MOVIE. I have a couple of reasons for that, first of all who doesn't love Charlie Brown and all of Charles Schultz' cartoon family? I know we all grew up reading that strip. I know, it was never really that funny but we just liked it. Probably because it rings a bell from our childhood and does what it sets out to do without any hint of vulgarity.

It's a very simple story as well, as simple as the famous comic strip. You know sometimes it pisses me off if producers try to twist up the basics of any classic storyline be they mystery novels, superheroes or in this case the funny papers. THE PEANUTS MOVIE is exactly what it should be. A perfect Charlie Brown dilemma in a film chock full of other smaller Charlie Brown dilemmas. Yes he will struggle with that kite, yes he will pay his nickel to Lucy for psychiatric help while Schroeder plays his piano and avoids her advances, yes, Snoopy will daydream about the Red Baron, yes Pigpen is still dirty.

And the main thread winding around this familiar bunch of plot devices is Charlie undying love for the little red haired girl.

The story is about the time she moves across the street from our hero and he makes it his life goal to win her heart despite a complete dearth of encouragement from the crabmistress Lucy.

No matter how he tries to excel at something somehow failure overtakes him at every turn yet his honesty and good nature shine through and eventually... Well I don't want to spoil the ending.

Let me warn you, this is not hilarious or action packed nor does it contain innuendos to pique the grown-ups interest. It is a sweet and endearing little story with life lessons that would be good for any little one.

The animation looks just like the characters, the voices sound like what we've heard in the Halloween and Christmas specials and the spirit of the story is exactly what Charles Schultz and now his son demand.

Here's how I chose my grade. In the very back row were what seems to be a grandmother a daughter and a couple very small children. The smallest one, not much more than a baby, was crying so grandma took him out to the kddie room for the duration. The theater required her to present her ticket stub to be reimbursed but somehow she's lost it. I slipped her mine (don't tell the authorities) and asked the little girl, Celia, who is maybe 2 or 3 years old, what she thought of the movie and she gave me a great big smile and said "I loved it!"

I then asked her which part she loved the most and without a seconds hesitation she said "everything!"

So there you have it folks, an expert opinion for a change.

A

WSS

I might take my littles to see it. I've heard good things. Sometimes sweet and innocent is better than what entertains the adults.

Yep. I hate kids basically but I was charmed by the smile on that little kids face when she said she loved it. We grown-ups can always find an f-bomb, naked tits and gorefest to entertain ourselves.

;)

WSS

I might take my littles to see it. I've heard good things. Sometimes sweet and innocent is better than what entertains the adults.

Yep. I hate kids basically but I was charmed by the smile on that little kids face when she said she loved it. We grown-ups can always find an f-bomb, naked tits and gorefest to entertain ourselves.

;)

WSS

Archived