THE BROWNS BOARD

Liberal black Avis employee refuses to rent a car to an Israeli

calfoxwc

I understand where you are coming from. The bible does give many of the answers to our questions but they get dismissed as being too simplistic. It is still easier for me to believe in God who is the creator and spoke a universe into being over believing all this came from nothing.

Those two concepts are literally the same.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But to answer your question from earlier, no, I do not think it is ok that this woman was raped and murdered, irregardless of whether or not her religion played a role in its perpetration.

I posted the only when I saw her. And I don't think it furthers a conversation by using a word like specifically. Anytime you narrow anything down like using the words every or all or specifically, somebody will start to scream 'but wait maybe there is one person!!!'

As for is not always being completely serious, which you noticed, I can't help the way other posters comprehend what I have to say.

;)

WSS

Cal can give an answer to every question you may have. That doesn't mean they're correct, or have any supporting evidence.

So your excuse when bad things happen and you don't want to associate god with them is to sat Satan did it? That's very convenient.

Good things happen - god did it.

Bad things happen - satan did it. Or, god is testing you. Or, people have free will.

Good things happen - god did it.

Bad things happen - satan did it. Or, god is testing you. Or, people have free will.

Cal can give an answer to every question you may have. That doesn't mean they're correct, or have any supporting evidence.

So your excuse when bad things happen and you don't want to associate god with them is to sat Satan did it? That's very convenient.

Then the bible conveniently revealed that truth many centuries ago.

Is that not one of the main features of christianity, an omniscient omnipotent god?

That is the belief, yes. And yet evil persists in the world, so if there is a God, he is either:

1) impotent; being unable to stop evil from happening and save his followers, or

2) at best, indifferent to the sufferings of good people in the world, or, at worst, malicious by actively allowing these things to happen as some fucked up test of loyality.

Or, most likely, there is no personal God who actively intervenes in the lives of people, and the universe rains on both the just and unjust alike.

Angels were supposedly created by God. God is supposedly omnipotent and omnipresent, which means that, logically, it should be well within his power stop any conflict, supernatural or otherwise from happening, and to prevent his creations from acting maliciously. And yet, evil still exists in the world.

Again, God is either impotent, indifferent, sinister, or fictional.

That is the belief, yes. And yet evil persists in the world, so if there is a God, he is either:

1) impotent; being unable to stop evil from happening and save his followers, or

2) at best, indifferent to the sufferings of good people in the world, or, at worst, malicious by actively allowing these things to happen as some fucked up test of loyality.

Or, most likely, there is no personal God who actively intervenes in the lives of people, and the universe rains on both the just and unjust alike.

From what I read about Albert Einstein he was one who believed in God but could not believe in a personal God because of some of the very things you listed. I think it is easier to see that there is a Creator God in all of this but It is harder to believe in a personal God however the bible is clear that God is a personal God and the cross is enough proof of that to me as a believer. The answers to the questions most skeptics have of a personal God are revealed in the bible.

it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true because the bible says so and god wrote the bible so it must be true.

Angels were supposedly created by God. God is supposedly omnipotent and omnipresent, which means that, logically, it should be well within his power stop any conflict, supernatural or otherwise from happening, and to prevent his creations from acting maliciously. And yet, evil still exists in the world.

Again, God is either impotent, indifferent, sinister, or fictional.

Or is either above or outside that particular fray since the Lord perceives and understands the universe in yways we are unable to.

WSS

changed lives are another key to what faith means to various individuals who claim Christ as Lord.

It doesnt mean you are given free will to acknowledge that - it is impossible in the natural mind to do so.

but acknowleging God from the bible is only helped foremost by the power of the Holy Spirit.

And available to any who would call out from the privacy of ones own heart....

look up "angelic conflict"

aren't you a bit old for these previously asserted childrens stories and fables? The world continues as is unabated because there's a Billion + of you that just simply won't let this old bullshit die. You are locked into your old mind patterns and because of them you all, and I'm talking about the Abrahamic religions but you can lump in all religions quite easily, have thoroughly destroyed this once great place we were gifted called earth.

You are parasites who will not stop until you've shit in every last corner of this globe. You will breed till we're literally eating each other for sustenance cause ain't nothing left.

From what I read about Albert Einstein he was one who believed in God but could not believe in a personal God because of some of the very things you listed...

The "God" that Einstein refered to was not the concept of God that I assume you believe in. Einstein's position was more pantheistic:

"Let us remind ourselves of the terminology.

A theist believes in a supernatural intelligence who, in addition to his main work of creating the universe in the first place, is still around to oversee and influence the subsequent fate of his initial creation. In many theistic belief systems, the deity is intimately involved in human affairs. He answers prayers; forgives or punishes sins; intervenes in the world by performing miracles; frets about good and bad deeds, and knows when we do them (or even think about doing them).

A deist, too, believes in a supernatural intelligence, but one whose activities were confined to setting up the laws that govern the universe in the first place. The deist God never intervenes thereafter, and certainly has no specific interest in human affairs.

Pantheists don't believe in a supernatural God at all, but use the word God as a non-supernatural synonym for Nature, or for the Universe, or for the lawfulness that governs its workings.

Deists differ from theists in that their God does not answer prayers, is not interested in sins or confessions, does not read our thoughts and does not intervene with capricious miracles.

Deists differ from pantheists in that the deist God is some kind of cosmic intellegence, rather than the pantheist's metaphoric or poetic synonym for the laws of the Universe. Pantheism is sexed-up atheism. Deism is watered-down theism"

- Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

...I think it is easier to see that there is a Creator God in all of this but It is harder to believe in a personal God however the bible is clear that God is a personal God and the cross is enough proof of that to me as a believer. The answers to the questions most skeptics have of a personal God are revealed in the bible.

Using that logic, Muslims can claim the same thing about Allah and Muhammed, using the Koran.

Or is either above or outside that particular fray since the Lord perceives and understands the universe in yways we are unable to.

WSS

For someone who is supposedly beyond human comprehension and understands the universe in ways we are unable to, God takes a rather humanistic and keen interest on what goes on between two naked people in the privacy of their bedroom. Or on making a fuss against eating bacon. Or elucidating rather specific rules in mutilating an infant boy's penis to show proof in belief of him.

For someone who is supposedly beyond human comprehension and understands the universe in ways we are unable to, God takes a rather humanistic and keen interest on what goes on between two naked people in the privacy of their bedroom. Or on making a fuss against eating bacon. Or elucidating rather specific rules in mutilating an infant boy's penis to show proof in belief of him.

No, those are the possibly inaccurate ideas of what mankind thinks God wants.

For instance my cat might be afraid to do some things because I will shout and scare her. She might do some things because I usually give her a treat. She might hop up on my lap so I can scratch her head when I make a specific sound. Or jump off the table if I clap my hands and speak loudly even though I've never hit her. She just does these things like we do, but she's not sure why or exactly what we want.

WSS

A religious debate that goes nowhere. If you are convinced there is a God or not, what a stranger says on a football forum won't change that.

Perhaps you're right. I think most atheists here and the world over would be happy if people applied the same scrutiny to their own religion as they do to others, and other claims. For example, pretty much everybody agrees that climate change is a thing that we're causing, yet some are demanding absolute proof beyond any possible doubt and as soon as anyone says anything that's not completely in line with expectations - rightly or wrongly - that's enough to make people say it's all bullshit. Well, apply that same level of requirement to your religion. Is there any proof for any of it (the supernatural part, that is), outside of your religious text?

Archived