THE BROWNS BOARD

Ray Farmer Attends Stanford vs Cal Game

Opal312

Bleacher Report is reporting Ray Farmer over the weekend was scouting Cal's QB Jared Goff. I haven't seen any of his games. Is he any good? Well we now know they shopping for a franchise QB.

Hope Farmer scouts Wide Receivers too while he's traveling.

It's your Defense that continues to lose games, Ray. Than your Hobbit Crew of WR's. Than yes your over achieving QB's that you have under contract till 2017. Lot can happen if you fix what's wrong first.

Bleacher Report is reporting Ray Farmer over the weekend was scouting Cal's QB Jared Goff. I haven't seen any of his games. Is he any good? Well we now know they shopping for a franchise QB.

Hope Farmer scouts Wide Receivers too while he's traveling.

I can hear Farmer right now: "Hey you interested in Cleveland kid? Tell you what, we have the 31st ranked running game and we don't believe in drafting NFL caliber WRs. It'll be a real nice opportunity to prove you're special. Even better, we'll also give you the support of a 32nd ranked defense."

Okay, but why would you already need to draft another first round QB this quickly Mr Farmer? Are you going to summarize my entire career ahead off my first 4 starts when I'm just 22 years old too? Stanford equips me to succeed and I kind of like that. What have you done for your QBs in Cleveland since you got there? I see a lot of 3rd and long situations with tiny Receivers while I'm used to throwing to big targets here.

Morale of the story, be careful what you wish for with NFL body by Dumb and Dumber.

Other than scouting the two QBs, Stanford's entire offense pretty much full of NFL prospects worth going to look at. Here's a list of prospects who played in that game...

Kevin Hogan, Stanford QB (Early rounds)

Barry Sanders, Stanford RB (Late rounds)

Devon Cajuste, Stanford WR (6'4" 228) (Middle rounds)

Austin Hooper, Stanford TE (Underclassman) (Early rounds)

Kyle Murphy, Stanford OT (Middle rounds)

Joshua Garnett, Stanford OG (Early rounds)

Graham Shuler, Stanford C (Late rounds)

Kodi Whitfield, Stanford S, (Late rounds)

Jared Goff, Cal QB (Early rounds)

Jordan Rigsbee, Cal OG (Middle rounds)

Hardy Nickerson, Cal ILB (Middle rounds)

Looking at that... he probably was there to scout Goff more than anybody else...

Yeah, Goff is talented for sure, but I don't know if he's "top 3 pick" talented. I'm really just hoping we see enough from Manziel that QB is the last thing we're thinking about. The idea of having an exciting, young QB in Manziel, and also have a reliable backup in McCown is tantalizing. Of course, I'm putting the cart before the horse here because Manziel is still a big question mark, but for some reason I think he's going to make the jump. Just imagine if he was throwing to some big time talent...AND had a running game. Or a defense. I'll stop.

The ideal situation would be for Manziel to display tangible improvement during the remainder of the season, but also for us to get a really high draft pick that other teams covet in order to select a QB. Perhaps we can get a king's ransom for our pick. That being said, the whole "trade down" approach hasn't really worked too well for us, and maybe we should just pick the best player available whenever it's our turn at the podium. Manziel to Laquon Treadwell anybody?

I really hope Manziel shows himself capable of being the franchise QB in these next few games. Having a draft where the Browns are building around the established QB would be fantastic.

Even if Manziel plays lights out the next six games some people are still going to be screaming for the next great QB. But yeah, I'm seriously looking forward to that. Last time we were even close was 2013, when Weeden was going to be our #1 without question. Lasted all of two games, but at least we had free choice in the draft (and took Barkevious Mingo, Leon McFadden & Jamoris Slaughter, but that's neither here nor there...)

It's your Defense that continues to lose games, Ray. Than your Hobbit Crew of WR's. Than yes your over achieving QB's that you have under contract till 2017. Lot can happen if you fix what's wrong first.

Interesting......perhaps we should attribute Hobbit Names to our Hobbit WRs:

Bilbo

Frodo

Pippin

Merry

Samwise

Maybe a Dwarf or two thrown in: Gimli, Thorin

Who is who?

I can hear Farmer right now: "Hey you interested in Cleveland kid? Tell you what, we have the 31st ranked running game and we don't believe in drafting NFL caliber WRs. It'll be a real nice opportunity to prove you're special. Even better, we'll also give you the support of a 32nd ranked defense."

Okay, but why would you already need to draft another first round QB this quickly Mr Farmer? Are you going to summarize my entire career ahead off my first 4 starts when I'm just 22 years old too? Stanford equips me to succeed and I kind of like that. What have you done for your QBs in Cleveland since you got there? I see a lot of 3rd and long situations with tiny Receivers while I'm used to throwing to big targets here.

Morale of the story, be careful what you wish for with NFL body by Dumb and Dumber.

He goes to Cal, not Stanford. Still a smart school.

Nevertheless, the one game I saw Goff play.....against Utah.....he didn't look so hot.

That IS an impressive sales pitch, isn't it? LOL

To quote from a Bob Dylan song...."When will they ever learn?..When will they ever learn?"

Mike

Stanford's Kevin Hogan....

I wouldn't count him out. He's everything I'd look for in a qb

for the Browns. We'll see how JM fares in rest of the season.

I still think JM is too short to be a consistent miracle worker.

And had Farmer stayed in CLE for the weekend the Headline would have been:

"Farmer is Sitting at Home on His Ass When There is Work to be Done".

I've no doubt he was QB hunting. As early as we may be picking, if there's a #1 out there, he'd better find that out. Add that he got face time with his West Coast scouts... pretty worthwhile trip.

Meanwhile should JM prove out over the rest of the season... great! But the time to see the Stanford/Cal blend of talent was this past Saturday... and more Saturdays are coming.

Keep hitting the road, Ray.

Kevin Hogan

Stanford's Kevin Hogan....

I wouldn't count him out. He's everything I'd look for in a qb

for the Browns. We'll see how JM fares in rest of the season.

I still think JM is too short to be a consistent miracle worker.

That's good for a laugh.

Farmer is scouting QB's which keeps him busy. I know we need wide receivers. We all know! We all realize he passed on some terrific talent in the last two drafts. To keep his job, he's going to have to improve the defense, receiving corp, and Oline. He had plenty of opportunities but said no in 2014. Look around the league at teams trending up, then look at who they drafted.

Goff is 6'4 and 210, so he's a bit of project. Lynch would be the only kid i'd be mildly intrigued with but not in the top 3 where we're gonna pick. There is no QB in this class worth that pick, they all need development which is something that doesn't work in Cleveland. It just doesn't. We all know it too. We need a couple years of O line rebuilding before i'm ok with drafting a kid high.

I am getting very tired of this...

Can anyone make a case that it is actually true?

I don't think a short QB needs tall WRs any more than a tall QB needs tall WRs.

But if I were to play devil's advocate and make a case, guess I'd start with Brees throwing to Colston and Graham.

Zombo

Agree with that. Taller WRs tend to have larger catch radii plus the bulk and strength to fight for passes. That benefits any QB.

First thing a QB does is read the coverage. How do taller WRs help him do that?

But if I were to play devil's advocate and make a case, guess I'd start with Brees throwing to Colston and Graham.

Zombo

its old school & keeping it in the texas tree but, Staubach was thought to be small compared to his WR's but he was 6' 3" but never looked it on tv. Romo back, but with T. Williams, Whitten & Dez, Tony still looks small. JM with our Hobbits Corp of WR's. It's OK to Dream Big!!

I'd trade down, and get two first round picks.

I'd draft a qb like Hogan in the second?

Of course, it's ridiculously early...

and draft a wr and Elliot in the first round.

Then, I'd find some lb's.

And had Farmer stayed in CLE for the weekend the Headline would have been:

"Farmer is Sitting at Home on His Ass When There is Work to be Done".

I've no doubt he was QB hunting. As early as we may be picking, if there's a #1 out there, he'd better find that out. Add that he got face time with his West Coast scouts... pretty worthwhile trip.

Meanwhile should JM prove out over the rest of the season... great! But the time to see the Stanford/Cal blend of talent was this past Saturday... and more Saturdays are coming.

Keep hitting the road, Ray.

You're...just you.

Archived