THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Tuesday

The Gipper

Here are this week's survey questions. Please give your opinions or answers:

1. So Peyton Manning as Browns GM, next year. You fer it or agin it?

2. Whether Peyton is GM.....who would you want to see as HC of the Cleveland Browns next year....if not Pettine?

3. What team do you think will be the "surprise team" of the NFL the rest of this season and into the playoffs. This can be good.....or it can be bad (in other words, what team that is in good position now could tank in the next 6 weeks)?

4. What player that played before your time would you have like to have seen play.

Do this for football, baseball, basketball (or any other sport).

5. What movies do you often quote lines from?

Nay. OC, QB coach, assistant GM, aye.

2. Whether Peyton is GM.....who would you want to see as HC of the Cleveland Browns next year....if not Pettine?

Realistically? No idea. There's a paucity of available coaches.

3. What team do you think will be the "surprise team" of the NFL the rest of this season and into the playoffs. This can be good.....or it can be bad (in other words, what team that is in good position now could tank in the next 6 weeks)?

Bengals remember that they're the bengals, and have now reached the point of the season where they go .500 to finish 11-5 and then lose in the first round of the playoffs...to the 10-6 chiefs, who are now 5-5, after starting 1-5, and have games against the browns, ravens, raiders (twice) and chargers to come, along with a home game vs the up and down bills.

4. What player that played before your time would you have like to have seen play.

Pele

Airplane. Probably others but I can't remember.

No, pretty much agin it. Now, if he wants to come in at a lower level......asst. to the GM.....or Consultant to the Owner, in order to learn how a front office works, and work his way up from there, perhaps.

Prefer Pettine stay

....but...if he had to go, I would consider highly some of these guys:

Mike Munchak or Adam Gase.

I can only see Kansas City getting better.....and being a potential force. And always beware of the Seahawks.

And the one real dark horse: The Jaguars

As for tanking....the Falcons seem to have started already. And, yes, the team that has made the "tank" an art form: The Bengals.

Football: Otto Graham and Marion Motley...and Fritz Pollard. It would have been interesting to see a black man quarterback an NFL team in the 20s.

Baseball: The usual suspects: Babe Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, plus the 1948 Indians pitching staff: Bob Feller, Bob Lemon

Basketball: I would have to go back to the likes of Dolph Schayes and George Mikan.

Other: Jesse Owens and Jim Thorpe.

Several......including the one that I just quote above:

Casablanca ("the usual suspects")

The Godfather

Monty Python's Holy Grail

Pulp Fiction

Ferris Buehler

Star Wars series.

One time, recently I went out for breakfast and got a very bitter cup of coffee. The waitress came back to ask "how is the coffee" and I said to her in my evil emperor voice. "The Force is Strong with this coffee". My wife and the waitress thought it funny at the time. maybe you had to be there.

Airplane. Probably others but I can't remember.

Surely you will be able to come up with a few others, no?

I'm glad someone made that joke. And don't call me Shirley.

Agin it... absolutely no indication he is qualified for the position.

If not Pet?

Heart says Houston... Head says Tampa Bay.

None really since I saw JB and Dr. Frank and the '64 team. Closest I might come would be boxers... Sugar Ray vs. LaMotta had a classic bout in CLE.

Animal House

I don't know if you guys heard much about a rugby player called Jonah Lomu over there? In case not, he was basically a beast among boys, never mind men among boys. Kind of like I think Jim Brown was at the time. It would take at least three guys to tackle him because he was *so* big and *so* fast. Anyway, he died the other day, aged only 40. I wouldn't have minded seeing him in full go. The highlights are available everywhere, but for a taste, here's one. I'm sure he could have been pretty effective in the NFL!

Also, it would be quite cool to see the players doing this before a game in the NFL...

No.....have zero reason to think he's GM material.....

Honestly, no one out there that excites me much.....Id rather see some better talent, than new coaches.....

So many teams, that were supposed to be good, have already tanked(including us)....one might find their way back.....here's one you all will love....Bengals fall and the Stoolers take the division....hahahaha!

eh....nothing "before my time" has any value.....

Often?.....none really....though I do like hooking my thumbs in my pants and calling people "pilgrim"......and I have a nephew named Luke, so it's always . "Luke, I am your uncle"....

I think he plays another year, and I think Farmer gets another year.

I want to see Pettine, I haven't considered others yet.

That new OC in Indy looks good ... Chudzinski or something like that.

Surprise good: Browns

Surprise bad: Denver

Jim Brown, Babe Ruth, Bill Russell

Stepbrothers and Stripes

I thought you would have been old enough to have seen Russell. I saw both JB and Russell, but obviously not The Sultan of Swat.

When did you start watching sports?

... Stripes

Bought to mind another for me... Caddyshack...

"At least I've got that going for me."

No. How could he possibly be in tune with this draft class while he's playing? He'd have to rely on our present scouting staff I would think.

If not Pettine, and offensive-minded coach like McDaniels.

KC Chiefs are playing well and have a head coach who knows what it takes to win.

Otto Graham, Joe DiMaggio, & Bob Cousy

Ghostbusters

I thought you would have been old enough to have seen Russell. I saw both JB and Russell, but obviously not The Sultan of Swat.

When did you start watching sports?

I remember Wilt. But Russell retired in 69, the year I turned 5. I remember Browns games from 69, but no NBA. Became an NBA fan along with Cavs inaugural season of 1970.

Zombo

No.. not enough experience

Mark D'antonio from MS

The Chiefs.. It's just a random guess.

Jim Brown

The Godfather.

1. Against, for now. But then, I'm a huge Farmer fan.

2. Probably no one in the current NFL. Saban, Miles, D'antonio if they can be had. I always wondered why isn't Tressel attainable too.

3. Given how many folks think they're going to suck, I'll say Denver will surprise and still be pretty dang good. As far as teams that have actually sucked so far, I'd say the Steelers will be ok in addition to the Colts and Seahawks.

4. I'm not as in tune with football history as I'd like to be so I don't know.

5. Remember the Titans, oddly enough. Wedding Crashers, Old School.

Not GM. Would find another position for him in the unlikely event that he would actually come here.

God I hope its not Pettine. Brian Kelly

May not be a surprise, but I see the Bills being a wildcard team

Bob Pettit in basketball. Jackie Robinson in baseball. Red Grange in football. Joe Louis in boxing,

Tombstone, Platoon,

1. Why not. Can he do any worse then the other fools

2. Jon Gruden

3. NE vs CAR. Undefeated SB

4. Mickey Mantle. My fathers hero

5. Major League. " You might run like Mays, but you hit like shit"

I remember Wilt. But Russell retired in 69, the year I turned 5. I remember Browns games from 69, but no NBA. Became an NBA fan along with Cavs inaugural season of 1970.

Zombo

Damn Z, you're still wet behind the ears son. I'd have to go with Jim Thorpe. Favorite quotes out of Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, "If they'd just pay me to stop robbin' em, I'd stop robbin' em."

<<1. So Peyton Manning as Browns GM, next year. You fer it or agin it?>>

How can anyone offer an opinion on this?

Because opinions are like assholes....everyone has one, a few people more than one.

Of course whatever opinions are offered here have absolutely no affect on the operations of the Cleveland Browns (psst....including yours Ghoolie!)

Manning has no qualifications or job performance with applicable experience. Why would he be better than Kosar? Why not Bradshaw, Phil SImms or Eric Zeir?

Here is a novel idea. How about instead of hiring people from the perspective of a dumb ass football fan who idolizes ex players and recylcled GMs, the Browns actually hire someone based on their personal skills, beliefs, value system, intelligence and business philosophy? You know................. someone unique and out of the box? Oh, here is something to make your vagina pucker............... how about someone not with a football background? Oh wait, I am an idiot. Hiring guys with football backgrounds has really worked well for us so far..... hasn't it?

2.<< Whether Peyton is GM.....who would you want to see as HC of the Cleveland Browns next year....if not Pettine?>>

Again, mental masturbation.

Of course.....its all for shits and giggles......this board is all about entertaining Browns fans...and wildass speculation on a subject such as this is just part of the entertainment process....or as you say, the mental masturbation process.

(though....with a few on here I am not sure the masturbation is mental)

A fan has absolutely no idea of what a HC's viability is to the team. The only thing fans can do is pimp whoever is on television and make all kind of fucked up pretend observations as if we really know these candidates from Adam. AGAIN, the better question is what values does a man have? What is his vision? His resume, per re doens't mean shit. Phil Sewage, who I called Ozzie's Coffee Fetcher, and Romeo Crennel who I called Belichik's coffee fetcher both had great football resumes. A football resume doens't mean shit. All it means is that a guy was a part of something big and got credit for it. Now, Bill B? yeah...... HIS resume means something........ but that shit head Holmgren? Only a moron didn't know he would fail. Sewage, Crennel, Holmgren didn't have one single credential that suited them for the jobs they won. HIRE THE MAN............ not the fucking resume.

<<3. What team do you think will be the "surprise team" of the NFL the rest of this season and into the playoffs. This can be good.....or it can be bad (in other words, what team that is in good position now could tank in the next 6 weeks)?>>

I see the Steelers in the AFC championship game. I am pulling for another Patriots SB. If not, the NFL is so bland and unremarkable, who gives a shit.?

On the contrary....to me, seeing the Patriots and the Steelers in contention again is what MAKES the NFL bland and unremarkable. Those teams bore the life out of me. Sure, if you have a rooting interest in those teams that would not be the case (and perhaps you have a rooting interest in those teams). But for a neutral fan, no, those teams present a snooze fest.

How about this unique idea: have teams that have not been in contention in a while become the favorites.....including a team that we may have a rooting interest in....say...The Cleveland Browns.

But if not the Browns....I am all in for having the likes of the Panthers, Cardinals, Vikings, Chiefs...even the fucking Bengals etc. be contenders. Fuck the Patriots, fuck the Steelers.

<<4. What player that played before your time would you have like to have seen play.

Do this for football, baseball, basketball (or any other sport).>>

James J Braddock. When I learned to box my Uncle Nick, a Jack Dempsey throwback used to tech me his style and tell me of his trials and tribulations. Braddock was a great, great American, a good Irish Christian, and a brave soul. If you never saw Cinderella man, you missed a great piece of American History.

Nice one.

<5. What movies do you often quote lines from?>

"Shh......can you smell that - Ghost busters........"

"Pyle, you (insert expletives)' Full Metal Jacket

"Look at the big tits on that witch" (Wizard of Oz, cutting room floor)

must have been the Wicked Witch of the East....or Glinda. (Margaret Hamilton had no tits to speak of)

Archived