THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft thread

LogicIsForSquares

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a tricky one. Until yesterday I was assuming we'd get a chance to see Manziel make a case to be the QB of the future. The party-vid/demotion has convoluted everything. Will Johnny regain trust with enough games left to display what he's capable of?

Maybe JFF's demotion is a wake-up call that will last a week or two, maybe it means the FO will go into the off season as if they don't have their QB.

I've started looking at tape of the QB prospects, and will form an opinion in the upcoming weeks. Ideally, Manziel will still be able to find his way onto the field and put together an impressive body of work in the remainder of the season. Having an answer at the QB position would allow us to target a beastly defender like Bosa, Nkemdiche, Hargreaves or Smith.

This is a tricky one. Until yesterday I was assuming we'd get a chance to see Manziel make a case to be the QB of the future. The party-vid/demotion has convoluted everything. Will Johnny regain trust with enough games left to display what he's capable of?

Maybe JFF's demotion is a wake-up call that will last a week or two, maybe it means the FO will go into the off season as if they don't have their QB.

I've started looking at tape of the QB prospects, and will form an opinion in the upcoming weeks. Ideally, Manziel will still be able to find his way onto the field and put together an impressive body of work in the remainder of the season. Having an answer at the QB position would allow us to target a beastly defender like Bosa, Nkemdiche, Hargreaves or Smith.

I was hoping Manziel would prove himself a decent QB in the next few games so the draft would be focused on getting some defensive talent. I am getting the feeling that it will be another first round QB.

I think either Stafford or Kap will be here next year, and that will free up the draft to plug all the other holes.

No.. they both blow!

Not a fan of Stafford or Kaepernick.

But if I had to choose I would take Stafford.

Kaepernick was a flash in the pan. He will never be any good again. He takes way way to long to throw the ball. He might have the biggest windup of any QB I have ever seen. He's a good runner, but that's about it.

Kapernick is a poor man's RG3. I wouldn't be thrilled with either to be honest, I don't see either as a clear upgrade over Josh McRibs. We have a guy who has shown to be capable in this league/system, willing to mentor a young QB and is under contract for the next two years. Why go for yet another retread?

If Manziel's not the guy, we'll know well before the draft, he'll be gone. If he is, then great, we can draft Joey Bosa or someone. If not, we can draft a QB high, or a QB low, or hope Austin Davis or Connor Shaw can step up, but we have at least a guy in McCown capable of holding down the fort while we build a team for a QB to step in to, like Russell Wilson did.

Didn't Wilson start from day 1?

Also McCown gets hurt way to often to hold down the fort for anyone.IMO

He did, yes. My point is that we can roll with McCown next year, with the hope/expectation that he holds up with OL play that our OL is capable of, while we add important pieces - like a Bosa, for example, a Big WR (if not Josh Gordon), maybe a pass rushing LBer.

Then, you can hand over to a young QB who doesn't need to come in and be like Andrew Luck straight away. You can let them limit turnovers while growing in to being a playmaker. Like Wilson, Big Ben etc. Look at Tom Brady's first start - no TDs, no INTs, about 170 yards. Only 5 TDs in his first four starts, but no INTs. That's the kind of thing we could build here. If we get another rookie, throw them in to a bad team and expect them to turn it all around, we're just wasting time, hoping to get a 1/100 player.

With the front office we have now, or any of they other front office's we have had, I don't have the confidence that they will pick players that will fit into your scenario.

We have been saying "build a good team" and then get the QB for years and years.

No matter who has been picking the players, that scenario hasn't worked here.

Bosa is a good/great player, but he isn't going to turn a bad team into a winner. Neither will a pass rushing LB

The only position that has the ability to make a bad team into a winning team is the QB

We play in the AFCN. Cold & Wind not a dome in site. Stafford has never impressed me outdoors nor has Brees. Both starter & backups QB's must play same skill sets. A four year Senior would be preferable over these early out kids that are not ready on or off the field. C. Cook still to me fits our division with 4 years & after watching Goff play in Utah he don't fit in our elements. Big & arm with drive with no drama backgrounds that plays & practices daily in our elements would be a good restart imo.

We need defenders that can pass rush and tackle . . . and lots of them. We need difference making playmakers on offense . . . and lots of them.

Roll with McCown and whoever else is still on the roster next year. Drafting another QB will most certainly turn into yet another debacle. The team has no defense or surrounding offensive talent, and antoher QB mess is the last thing this team needs. Even if there is a guy you are certain will turn into a franchise guy . . . it's not gonna happen if he gets drafted to the 2016 Browns squad. We are in for another 2 years of mediocre at best football regardless of who's the QB, get the team right first, we've ruined enough QB prospects drafting them into a dumpster fire.

I think either Stafford or Kap will be here next year, and that will free up the draft to plug all the other holes.

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, why would Stafford be available if he was THE solution? Detroit is competing with us for the first overall pick so if he's the answer to a bad football team's problems - where is the proof he changes anything here? Same with Kap for that matter. We don't have Jim Harbaugh here borrowing many parts of Lindy Infante's offense he once played in at Indy. In SF, Alex Smith was atrocious before Harbaugh and surrounding help arrived. After that became an easier place to play QB - it didn't matter which guy they used Alex or Kap (they were at least going to the NFC Championship Game).

For the most part, QB play hasn't been what is burying this team this year. Running game ranking 31st and defense ranking 32nd is what is putting the massive volume of hits received on our 36 year old QB. We get behind frequently and McCown is often in 3rd and long with defenses in pin their ears back mode. McCown was actually the number rated QB statistically/efficiency on 3rd downs before the St Louis game; but his problem is surviving starts and answering the bell. No chance of a balanced attack puts him in harms way too much for comfort especially at the rate our defense forfeits points.

I have a strong feeling the front office won't over reach for a QB as I'm sure they'll see none are screaming #1 overall material this season.

I'm confident Farmer is also aware that McCown has been effective with a limited assortment of weapons, non existent running game and defense that ranks dead last in the NFL statistically. If you improve upon the latter two of that list, you're surely to improve your win total before even addressing the QB position.

I'm just praying Gordon has been working as hard in his off time as he's indicated. This offense with him on the perimeter is that much more effective. Step one is solving the problems in the run game.

I have a strong feeling the front office won't over reach for a QB as I'm sure they'll see none are screaming #1 overall material this season.

I have a similar feeling......and maybe nobody is a slam dunk #1 this year.....(doesnt look like it, at least)

Which is why I wouldnt be surprised to see Farmer try to move back...yet again....and go for 2 first rounders over one high one that really isnt "that" great anyway......

I have a similar feeling......and maybe nobody is a slam dunk #1 this year.....(doesnt look like it, at least)

Which is why I wouldnt be surprised to see Farmer try to move back...yet again....and go for 2 first rounders over one high one that really isnt "that" great anyway......

Of the 'top' prospects, only really Bosa stands out as a match of need and value. You've got:

the QBs which I think I agree they won't draft;

two OTs - Tunsil & Stanley - we're set there;

two DBs - hargreaves and ramsay - I think even if Gipson goes we're not drafting a safety that high, and at CB the coaches believe in Haden and have to be happy with williams, then there's a bunch of year 1/2 guys.

So unless we're drafting Bosa, which seems logical, but if he's gone by the time we pick, I can really see us trading back with a team that needs one of those positions. Maybe san fran (QB) or san diego/TN (OT).

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, why would Stafford be available if he was THE solution? Detroit is competing with us for the first overall pick so if he's the answer to a bad football team's problems - where is the proof he changes anything here? Same with Kap for that matter. We don't have Jim Harbaugh here borrowing many parts of Lindy Infante's offense he once played in at Indy. In SF, Alex Smith was atrocious before Harbaugh and surrounding help arrived. After that became an easier place to play QB - it didn't matter which guy they used Alex or Kap (they were at least going to the NFC Championship Game).

For the most part, QB play hasn't been what is burying this team this year. Running game ranking 31st and defense ranking 32nd is what is putting the massive volume of hits received on our 36 year old QB. We get behind frequently and McCown is often in 3rd and long with defenses in pin their ears back mode. McCown was actually the number rated QB statistically/efficiency on 3rd downs before the St Louis game; but his problem is surviving starts and answering the bell. No chance of a balanced attack puts him in harms way too much for comfort especially at the rate our defense forfeits points.

I have a feeling that the Browns won't repeat their actions regarding QB. I don't think they take any QB before round 4, and if either Staf or Kap become available, I could see the Browns taking a chance on either as they are young, have won at some point in their careers, and could be a viable option for several years.

That being said, I completely agree that QB isn't our main problem (outside of Johnny Boy that is), but it is an issue and one that needs to be solidified ASAP. Our defense is the elephant in the room that Pet doesn't seem to want to acknowledge, but at some point after the gun sounds for the last game, he better acknowledge it or he might find himself working for food.

I have a feeling that the Browns won't repeat their actions regarding QB. I don't think they take any QB before round 4, and if either Staf or Kap become available, I could see the Browns taking a chance on either as they are young, have won at some point in their careers, and could be a viable option for several years.

That being said, I completely agree that QB isn't our main problem (outside of Johnny Boy that is), but it is an issue and one that needs to be solidified ASAP. Our defense is the elephant in the room that Pet doesn't seem to want to acknowledge, but at some point after the gun sounds for the last game, he better acknowledge it or he might find himself working for food.

I like your reply here D Bone. I also keep forgetting we still have Connor Shaw stashed away on an injury list. If he can get his arm a little stronger - he was actually off to a better start than Manziel anyway. He showed up with a comfort of passing in the pocket coming off an incredible TD to INT ratio in the SEC. That's still a project like Austin Davis - it's just a lot less expensive.

I'm confident Farmer is also aware that McCown has been effective with a limited assortment of weapons, non existent running game and defense that ranks dead last in the NFL statistically. If you improve upon the latter two of that list, you're surely to improve your win total before even addressing the QB position.

I'm just praying Gordon has been working as hard in his off time as he's indicated. This offense with him on the perimeter is that much more effective. Step one is solving the problems in the run game.

Very good points made here. Maybe Josh Gordon will finally get it next year. If so, he could have a lot do do with the running game improving.

When Shanny brought his zbs to Atlanta to install their new and improved running game - how much did he love knowing he had the size and perimeter speed of Julio Jones outside? That's a very balanced attack making Matt Ryan really cozy this year.

Archived