THE BROWNS BOARD

We have to draft Bosa

WalterWhite

I don't watch too much Ohio State football, so don't bite my head off. I read a few short articles that stated Bosa might be better suited to a 4-3 style defense, where he has his hand on the ground and attacks from a traditional DE spot. I know that defenses nowadays are typically some kind of hybrid 3'4's or vice versa, but can Bosa play standing up? Does he play mostly at DE in college, or does he cover as well?

I wouldn't worry about it. 3-4, 4-3.....he is a player and that is what we need.

(besides....we have our best pass rusher doing "cover" now in this system.....why would Jim O'Neil want to change that?)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't watch too much Ohio State football, so don't bite my head off. I read a few short articles that stated Bosa might be better suited to a 4-3 style defense, where he has his hand on the ground and attacks from a traditional DE spot. I know that defenses nowadays are typically some kind of hybrid 3'4's or vice versa, but can Bosa play standing up? Does he play mostly at DE in college, or does he cover as well?

I'll leave it for CleveFan and others who are bigger Bosa backers than I for a definitive answer, but I do not think Bosa is DQ'd from being a 3-4 DE. I think he'd be underutilized as such in some schemes such as ours, but could do the job.

He could be a Kruger-ish, weak-side, hybrid DE/OLB as OSU does drop him at times, albeit out of a 3-point in more of a zone-blitz, change of pace variation.

I'll leave it for CleveFan and others who are bigger Bosa backers than I for a definitive answer, but I do not think Bosa is DQ'd from being a 3-4 DE. I think he'd be underutilized as such in some schemes such as ours, but could do the job.

He could be a Kruger-ish, weak-side, hybrid DE/OLB as OSU does drop him at times, albeit out of a 3-point in more of a zone-blitz, change of pace variation.

Depends on the call. Joey has shown a great ability to play effectively from the 3, 4 and the 5 spot.

Where would he be if we have to use the traditonal "43" as people call it - then he'd be a LDE.

edit: Regarding Tour's opinion on seeing whole games with Joey dominating, I've not found any this year.

I've seen flashes, downs, full series, even halves of monster play.... not a full game yet. However unlike Clowney he hasn't completely checked out only to return to form when called out (Michigan's Oline) and he doesn't overwhelm his blockers by athletic ability alone.

Bosa Bosa Bosa I remember how happy some of you were when we got Simon Frazier smh. The Draft is way off and we never draft anybody worth a warm cup of piss anyhow. But besides that you were one of the ones that wanted to suck Beanie Wellls cock and how did that end up for Wells? Sick of this every year how some of you think we should draft all Buckeyes.

Dom gummit, just when I thought I could drink beverages at the laptop here comes Med with a classic. I don't know if this is a coincidence or what but they're playing Don McLean's "Vincent" on the radio right now. Starry, starry nights...

I'm more worried about who's doing the drafting than who we're drafting first.

• 4 weeks later...

Joey figured out how to get out of his bowl game?

At least he didn't drunk punch a cop like the TCU QB did

Joey figured out how to get out of his bowl game?

I'm not an OSU fan but it looked like a fairly normal hit. The commentators kept saying he has to tackle with his facemask. Not sure what that means but its hard as hell to tackle someone without lowering your head... And keeping your head up is just asking for a neck injury...

I'm not an OSU fan but it looked like a fairly normal hit. The commentators kept saying he has to tackle with his facemask. Not sure what that means but its hard as hell to tackle someone without lowering your head... And keeping your head up is just asking for a neck injury...

It's because he led with the crown of the helmet which apparently is targeting in college.

He scores some points with me for this message:

Joey Bosa @jbbigbear 10m10 minutes ago

I'm sorry, I love you buckeye nation.

Bosa is a luxury, we have to take a QB at #2. Every teams goal should be to pick at #32. Should be the Browns goal for next season. That being said we (hope)may not pick this high for a long time.

Bosa is a luxury, we have to take a QB at #2. Every teams goal should be to pick at #32. Should be the Browns goal for next season. That being said we (hope)may not pick this high for a long time.

You don't take a QB at #2 if there isn't a QB worthy of that pick. I'm not convinced any of these guys are the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

You don't take a QB at #2 if there isn't a QB worthy of that pick. I'm not convinced any of these guys are the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.

Goff will go #4 or #5 to SF so why in your opinion is he not worthy of #2, I trust the mock draft sites opinions more than anyone's opinion in here. Hell if our front office would have just followed those sites alone we would not be in this mess.

Tweet or no tweet... the only thing he could have done to make what he did more obvious would have been to clasp his hands behind his back.

Not sure what that means but its hard as hell to tackle someone without lowering your head... And keeping your head up is just asking for a neck injury...

Exactly the opposite actually... The neck is made to bend. Compression is the source of spinal injuries. That is why the rule is: "See what you hit!"

Goff will go #4 or #5 to SF so why in your opinion is he not worthy of #2, I trust the mock draft sites opinions more than anyone's opinion in here. Hell if our front office would have just followed those sites alone we would not be in this mess.

In some cases...but those same mock draft sites said that Trent Richardson was the most NFL ready running back in the draft and a game changer. How did that turn out?

Tweet or no tweet... the only thing he could have done to make what he did more obvious would have been to clasp his hands behind his back.

Exactly the opposite actually... The neck is made to bend. Compression is the source of spinal injuries. That is why the rule is: "See what you hit!"

Yep...Im not sure I like the penalty being ejection, but they've been pretty consistent with it all year. The tweet to me showed that he is someone who owns up to his mistakes as opposed to making excuses.

That's just it though. QBs will always get drafted highly regardless of talent because it is the most important position. Drafting a QB high doesn't mean they are good.. Look at RG3, Brandon Weedon, Jake Locker. Trusting mock drafts is also pointless. Kiper and mcshay do it every year and get maybe 2 or 3 correct in the first round..

In some cases...but those same mock draft sites said that Trent Richardson was the most NFL ready running back in the draft and a game changer. How did that turn out?

your going to use one tragic bust to support that theory, just how good could we have been had we taken carr, taken watkins and so on that the mocks had us taking, passed on clay matthews. Some mocks have us taking Lynch some Bosa most have Goff as the first QB off the board in the top 5. 2 is not a reach.

That's just it though. QBs will always get drafted highly regardless of talent because it is the most important position. Drafting a QB high doesn't mean they are good.. Look at RG3, Brandon Weedon, Jake Locker. Trusting mock drafts is also pointless. Kiper and mcshay do it every year and get maybe 2 or 3 correct in the first round..

2 or 3 correct to the teams they pick, most talent is spot on for the round they get picked in. Forget where a player went just look at the round and go back and evaluate the picks it far more than 2 or 3. Would you be complaining had we taken Carr instead of the Gilbert. If we would have followed that mock we would have had Bridgewater instead of the ass clown manziel

So you trust all those sites that had both Manziel and Gilbert as being top 10 picks?

How often do you send money overseas for lottery winnings?

your going to use one tragic bust to support that theory, just how good could we have been had we taken carr, taken watkins and so on that the mocks had us taking, passed on clay matthews. Some mocks have us taking Lynch some Bosa most have Goff as the first QB off the board in the top 5. 2 is not a reach.

Ok..RGIII, Jake Locker, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith. Would you like more examples?

Ok..RGIII, Jake Locker, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith. Would you like more examples?

all busts, what about Kalil mack, Carr, Bridgewater, Watkins, AJ green, Clay Matthews , Mike Evans we could have had anyone of those players but oh wait thats too high to pick them, so fuck that we need a QB and the best one is Goff, dont care if we pick him #1 overall or 10 we have to fix the QB position.

all busts, what about Kalil mack, Carr, Bridgewater, Watkins, AJ green, Clay Matthews , Mike Evans we could have had anyone of those players but oh wait thats too high to pick them, so fuck that we need a QB and the best one is Goff, dont care if we pick him #1 overall or 10 we have to fix the QB position.

I'm not convinced he's good enough. I'm not sure that he's not going to be a bust. I'd rather have Bosa who doesn't look to me to be a bust and find a QB somewhere else.

Why are you giving non QB examples? You are hurting your own argument. Plus Bridgewater isn't good. Carr is, but he wasn't projected to go very high, which again hurts your argument haha

Why are you giving non QB examples? You are hurting your own argument. Plus Bridgewater isn't good. Carr is, but he wasn't projected to go very high, which again hurts your argument haha

the point is about if we would just follow some of the "EXPERT" mocks we would not be 3-13 again. mocks have Goff as first QB off the board at 4 or 5 my argument is if he can go 4 then why not 2. Draft is not what it used to be, rookie pay scale changed all that.

the point is about if we would just follow some of the "EXPERT" mocks we would not be 3-13 again. mocks have Goff as first QB off the board at 4 or 5 my argument is if he can go 4 then why not 2. Draft is not what it used to be, rookie pay scale changed all that.

But some mocks have Lynch as the first Qb. Who's right?

I'm not convinced he's good enough. I'm not sure that he's not going to be a bust. I'd rather have Bosa who doesn't look to me to be a bust and find a QB somewhere else.

I would much rather have Bosa.

And to the previous point being drafted in the first round means that there's at least some sort of consensus that you are one of the best 32 players available.

And because the quarterback position is important (not nearly as important as a lot of fans want to believe) there's more of a chance of a bust. Because a bus is considered a guy who isn't Joe Montana in his rookie season.

The Houston dumbass Texans are going to the playoffs. If you could take one player from their team who would it be? One of their irreplaceable quarterbacks? Or quite possibly the best defensive player in the league?

WSS

The Houston dumbass Texans are going to the playoffs. If you could take one player from their team who would it be? One of their irreplaceable quarterbacks? Or quite possibly the best defensive player in the league?

WSS

Clearly it's JJ Watt. They do have a really really good WR (can't remember his name) but that brings up the point of how much would a guy like Josh Gordon help this offense?

well i hope you all see the change in the defense when Bosa got ejected. Not terrible obviously but it was clear the Irish offense started to open up and the QB had time to look downfield. When you have a guy like Bosa the entire defensive front benefits. Absolutely ridiculous that a helmet shot to the chest is an ejectable offense. To the facemask or the chinstrap...ok. Terrible rule. Changed the game.

Notice though the difference between Smith's absence and Bosa's. The Irish defense didn't really change with Smith' injury, shows the overall impact each player had on the entire defense. And Smith is their MLB'er, his absence "should" have had a greater impact than a defensive lineman. I remember some of you saying that Hubbard is just as good as Bosa. I mean seriously? If Hubbard had to come out right now he'd be lucky to be taken in teh 4th round. He could potentially slip into the supplemental. He'll be turned into a 3-4 OLB'er, he's not a natural 4-3 DE .

Archived