THE BROWNS BOARD

Gruden

hunter48

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was dropping hints all game.

I'm only a little drunk.

He did seem more fired up than usual, and had some pretty strong opinions. While I don't agree with what you believe, I can see how you got there (being drunk and all).

One thing was clear last nite... hire Gruden and you can kiss all this accountability nonsense goodbye...

Did a little reading on why Jon was fired after 7 years in TB. The following pretty well captures the variety of reasons I found. The opening sentence makes him sound like the perfect coach for JFF...

Never has there been such a polarizing coach in Tampa Bay, partly because no coach here has ever mixed so many pretty good seasons with so many pretty bad ones. Gruden's backers will tell you he won a Super Bowl, and his bashers will tell you he hasn't been close to another one. His backers will tell you about three division titles, and his critics will tell you about three losing seasons. And so it has gone for most of Gruden's tenure.

If you are looking for evidence to support firing Gruden, there is plenty. His ballyhooed offense never got better, and young players did not seem to develop, and he changed quarterbacks the way some people change shirts.

After a while, you could predict the future. The Bucs were going to reinvent themselves every year, and it would always seem that 9-7 was in reach but 11-5 was never a possibility. The most frustrating thing was that next year never seemed to have more promise than the previous year.

In other words, it wasn't this season's collapse that doomed Gruden. It was the gnawing suspicion that next season wouldn't be much different.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/jon-grudens-firing-as-tampa-bay-buccaneers-coach-is-shocking-sudden-and/968403

I haven't heard the broadcast, I was at the game. But from what all the radio guys have been saying this morning. Gruden RIPPED the entire orginization. So maybe he does want the job

I haven't heard the broadcast, I was at the game. But from what all the radio guys have been saying this morning. Gruden RIPPED the entire orginization. So maybe he does want the job

I watched it this morning, and skipped some talking, but the gist was "man Cleveland has so much potential, there are good players here, Manziel can be a great QB, everything's in place for someone to come in and make it work, this place is gonna explode when that happens"

Whether he seemed excited and enthused by the challenge or was just selling it for TV value I'm not sure.

I was saying it in the Tavern last night. Gruden honestly seemed like he was lobbying for a job next year.

I don't see why he'd ever leave his cushy broadcasting job, but there were multiple hints that he could. The fact that there's tons of articles out there about it only reinforce that we're not alone in seeing it.

wow Gruden said that? That actually does sound like a pitch. I was skeptical when I saw the thread title. Well, he's one of maybe 2-3 guys I would be ok with if we let Pettine go. The league will understand if we let Pettine go for a guy like Gruden. The league will not understand if we Chud Pettine. Please understand what happens if we fire Pettine and spend the offseason begging for a replacement. You only let Pettine go if you have his replacement virtually signed and sealed.

I don't see why he'd ever leave his cushy broadcasting job,

cause he's still young. He can always go back to it if things don't work out. I still like Pettine and would be willing to give him a few more years, but Gruden actually does run imo a better defense that would fit our personnel better. I think Grudens defense would also fit a certain #1 prospect better.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's what I took away from it, and unlike some (TCPO) I wasn't drunk at the time ;)

Yeah he was selling himself pretty hard, it seemed. He mentioned his ties with Haslam, he mentioned how he likes Manziel, he mentioned how he empathizes with the fanbase, he mentioned that he just did not understand why our running game was so poor.

Add to that he's from the area, stayed with Manziel over the summer, and this article and there's at least a small percentage chance that it's possible.

I may be a conspiracy theorist and jump to conclusions pretty quickly, but damn if this one doesn't at least seem plausible. But then again, I have a James Davis Browns jersey because I believed he was the nest big thing.

For those of you clamoring for Gruden though, don't be naïve that he's going to turn this group of guys into a playoff team. Yes he would retain some, but there would be a major redo.....AGAIN. So in two years we'd be right back here and Walter would be screaming to fire this Gruden cunt who's been in the commentators box for years and doesn't understand the league's moved on from his concepts that worked 15 years ago blah blah blah blah blah

I am tired of this song and dance every year.

uh hell yeah I want gruden picking his talent. I want pettine picking the talent if he stays. I want a Browns team that isn't passed down from one feckless regime to the next. I want a team built around one guys philosophy, sink or swm....win or lose. We at least then know where the responsibility lies.

I know he won't or can't come out and say it directly. But if Gruden wants the job. BUH-BYE Pettine and Farmer

Hell yeah let Gruden be HC...GM...he can pick the cheerleaders too!!!

Just get him signed NOW!!!!! GO BROWNS

gruden won a SB with tony dungees team, after picking his own talent, tampa steadily declined and chucky was fired

Maybe he can win a SB with Farmers talllllllllllllllllllll

I couldn't finish the sentence without aborting

Archived