THE BROWNS BOARD

Gruden

hunter48

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the opinion that it take a NAME to get player to play here and legitimize the organization. Some will say we had Holmgren didn't work out so getting an established name isn't guaranteed. But Holmgren was done. His heart and being is still in seattle.

If that name is Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, get out the check book and get them here. This team needs to be legitimized. I think Haslam wants to do that. But it will require the right people here. No more no names and rookie GM"s or coaches.

I still have my "Chucky" doll.

If Grude was pitching I didn't catch it. He sounded extremely negative about the defense. At one point he said: "I have no idea what type of defense their running"

I would take Gruden but don't see it happening to Cleveland. They never have had the football Gods on their side. Not since Modell fired Paul Brown. The guy who invented football as we know it.

Did not recognize the defense because he is not a Defensive Coach? Kiffin ran the Tampa 2 for Jon-boy just as he did for Tony.

And Jon was never the GM at TB (or OAK for that matter). But he did manage to fight with McKay, the GM who traded for Jon, when he arrived in TB until he finally pushed him out in favor of his old OAK GM. But only after McKay helped land the vet offensive players that put TB on the path to their SB.

Besides drive the bus that Dungy gased up for him to the super bowl. What's he ever done?? Besides getting fired and leaving a franchise competing with the browns for leagues worst. Oh these fickle browns fans thinking lightening in a bottle gonna walk into Berea.

Besides drive the bus that Dungy gased up for him to the super bowl. What's he ever done?? Besides getting fired and leaving a franchise competing with the browns for leagues worst. Oh these fickle browns fans thinking lightening in a bottle gonna walk into Berea.

I guess something with a bottle don't count

Totally. We've got mike pettine and the leagues most expensive defense what more do we need?

I don't know, I've always liked Gruden. Especially his QB camps. Qb's respect the man, he has a was of talking, like an eccentric uncle that keeps your attention. He bring passion and that is at least one thing that Pettine lacks. I would endorse Gruden as Head Coach, at least it'd be entertaining...

Gruden makes a reported $6.5 mill a year from ESPN, in what might be the best job on planet earth. If Gruden is the guy many people want, they better hope he still has that burning desire to coach, because I sure wouldn't leave that job he has, LOL.

If Gruden is hired, who does he bring in as coordinators? Who would be the GM? The general feeling I'm getting is that Ray Farmer SHOULD be gone as well, or is he a guy that just needs more time? We're going to have a VERY high pick this year, which obviously means we're going to have a high second round pick (a pick that should/could start). Does Haslam really want this guy in charge of another draft?

The first thing I would do if I was the new coach is I would reach out to Josh Gordon. I would publicly say that the Browns are committed to Gordon, and we have a plan for ensuring his compliance to league rules. I would do EVERYTHING in the world to get Josh Gordon back in a Browns uniform. We are a disaster in the red zone, we have too many tiny wr's, and we lack big play ability. We need Gordon as much as he needs us. Gordon is not Blackmon from Jacksonville. I truly believe (for some reason) that we're going to see Gordon play again, and he's going to play well for us.

I am as frustrated as any other Browns fan right now but I am still of the belief Pettine should get another year to turn the team around. Even in the article the author states he also believes Pettine should get one more year:

"I still believe Pettine deserves another year to turn the Browns around. But if Haslam blows up the front office and coaching staff again he should push hard for Gruden."

I completely see both sides of the argument. Obviously nobody is asking ME what I think in the Browns organization, LOL, but SOMETHING has to change...I just don't know what. I honestly do believe the team needs more talent, but from what I've seen in the NFL, GM's tend to outlast coaches. Perhaps I'm wrong. God forbid Pettine get a first round player that makes a damn impact.

Gruden makes a reported $6.5 mill a year from ESPN, in what might be the best job on planet earth. If Gruden is the guy many people want, they better hope he still has that burning desire to coach, because I sure wouldn't leave that job he has, LOL.

He might, maybe he just loves coaching that much. He could probably go back to broadcasting in 2 years when he gets fired anyway.

I see both sides too but feel we have been down this road too many times where after 2 years if the team is not turned around we blow things up and start over. This has never worked out for us and we have been trying this formula since 99. One thing I give Pettine credit for is something the article also brings out and that is the players do play hard for Pettine and don't quit even with their record.

We could lure Jon with the promise of changing the team name to "The Cleveland Grudens".

Might stroke his ego enough... but I doubt it.

Chucky got the Tampa job after coaching Da Raidah's to competency -

I am ok with Pettine coming back, but he's had the "Oh Shit This Has Gotten Away From Me" vibe creep into his last presser. He looks bewildered, or as Led Zeppelin would say Dazed and Confused. If I'm in Haslam's shoes i am more worried about Pettines demeanor. That may be why he gets fired.

He had the look of a beaten man Monday.

Farmer has to go. It would have been better to have fired Farmer some weeks back to start the next search.

At this point, if Chucky would come here, why not?

Here is what one well respected person said that the Browns need:

A. A President of Football Operations. Sort of like what we had when Holmgren was here, but someone actually dedicated to the job, not someone wanting to sit on his fat lazy ass and collect a paycheck. A Bill Polian type.

(not Alex Scheiner....he would be

B. That PFO would then select a GM/Personnel Director. Hopefully somebody with a sharp eye for talent.

C. Then those two together would select a head coach.

I was saying it in the Tavern last night. Gruden honestly seemed like he was lobbying for a job next year.

I don't see why he'd ever leave his cushy broadcasting job, but there were multiple hints that he could. The fact that there's tons of articles out there about it only reinforce that we're not alone in seeing it.

And, besides, I think he's an excellent live commentator.

We could lure Jon with the promise of changing the team name to "The Cleveland Grudens".

Might stroke his ego enough... but I doubt it.

Fuck the Cleveland part. Just call 'me the Gruden Grinders!! Maybe that will lift the Cleveland curse in the process. ;):lol:

I'd love gruden here, but you have to fire Pettine before you get your answer. Can't start calling anybody until he's gone.

Sure you can.......you dont have to fire Pettine to start looking.....and you can call anyone, provided they aren't under contract with another team......

And....if you want.....you can even contact employed Coaches to discuss HC jobs, provided they aren't already HC's.......

They really pay him 6.5? That's ridiculous.

Regardless, coaches love to coach. They're driven. They wanna compete and they wanna win. Tennessee gave ole Derek Dooley the severance package of a lifetime. He could be on a beach sipping margaritas every day. You know what he's doing? Coaching receivers for the Cowboys.

You think if we buy Pettine out this year that he wouldn't immediately go get another football job? Isn't sitting around at home more "cush" than working 16 hour days in New Orleans or wherever? Sure it is. But he's going to coach football because he loves it.

Does Gruden want it enough to leave broadcasting? Let's find out.

And....if you want.....you can even contact employed Coaches to discuss HC jobs, provided they aren't already HC's.......

Need current team's permission to talk to any NFL coach under contract...

Came across a fairly interesting article on searching for HCs and GMs...

On the Hunt for Greatness

When teams begin firing coaches and front office staff—as the Colts, Lions and Titans have already done—headhunters like Jed Hughes are called in to help them fill the positions. Inside the search for the next great coach or GM

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/11/05/mmqb-talking-football-coaches-fired-jed-hughes-nfl-headhunter

Need current team's permission to talk to any NFL coach under contract...

Yes and No.....for lateral moves you need permission.....and promoting a position coach to Coordinator, you need permission...

But ANY coach getting PROMOTED to Hc....can talk w/o permission.....anytime.....

So what are the rules for NFL teams allowing their assistant coaches to talk to other teams about jobs? The rule is pretty simple. A team can’t block an assistant coach, including a coordinator, from interviewing for and accepting a job as a head coach. All other moves, including from assistant coach to coordinator, can be blocked.

Obviously, if we ask for permission, while Pettine is still here,,,,then that would get out and create bad PR....but it is allowed....

Archived