THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's talk about the Browns olinemen for a change

calfoxwc

Can anyone explain why our rb's get hit in the backfield so often? I'm not saying we have allstar caliber running backs, but at the same time, I don't know any that can be successful when they're getting drilled 3 yards back every other run. Is this the fault of our OL? Our play design? I don't have the stats on hand, and I'm not going to make any up, but I recently heard the percentage of times our backs got hit in the backfield and it was staggering (don't remember the specific percentage, and not sure how to find it).

Even when we are getting blown out, it seems like almost every run we try and sneak in gets abruptly snuffed out.

Again, my opinion, the Browns have been telegraphing rushes by running

on first down so consistently...

except they seemed to have broken from that the last game....

Again, my opinion, the Browns have been telegraphing rushes by running

on first down so consistently...

That would be on Flip.....the coordinator that keeps getting praise....even though he is predictable and bland as hell......and abandons whatever works every game......and gets uber conservative whenever he even sniffs a lead......and hasnt found a way to run the ball with one of the best lines in the league.....

I thought Shanny was a whiny worm, but at least he was creative and knew enough to stay with something when it was working.......

That would be on Flip.....the coordinator that keeps getting praise....even though he is predictable and bland as hell......and abandons whatever works every game......and gets uber conservative whenever he even sniffs a lead......and hasnt found a way to run the ball with one of the best lines in the league.....

I thought Shanny was a whiny worm, but at least he was creative and knew enough to stay with something when it was working.......

Our run game was pretty atrocious last year for pretty much every game after Mack went down - which was most of the season. We have Mack back now of course, but I'm not so sure that Mack was the reason our running game turned non-existent last year (at least not the whole reason)

Shanny ham also stuck with something when it wasn't working, so there's that ;)

*edit*

And go ask on an Atlanta board what they think of Shanahan ;)

Our run game was pretty atrocious last year for pretty much every game after Mack went down - which was most of the season. We have Mack back now of course, but I'm not so sure that Mack was the reason our running game turned non-existent last year (at least not the whole reason)

Shanny ham also stuck with something when it wasn't working, so there's that ;)

*edit*

And go ask on an Atlanta board what they think of Shanahan ;)

Ha....well Im no shanny fan......and, in fact, was happy to see him go.....

Just saying that I dont think Flip is an improvement...........

Ha....well Im no shanny fan......and, in fact, was happy to see him go.....

Just saying that I dont think Flip is an improvement...........

Different. Flip seems to have gotten a lot more out of Barnidge than Shanahanahanahanahan managed, for sure. Benjamin's production can be attributed to maturing as a player and recovering from injury, so no comparison there. Last year, at least, we had a semblance of a run game, even after mack's injury. We were disappointed to be 'only' getting 70-80 yards per game on the ground. Now we're frequently looking at 15-20 yard games total.

Can anyone explain why our rb's get hit in the backfield so often? I'm not saying we have allstar caliber running backs, but at the same time, I don't know any that can be successful when they're getting drilled 3 yards back every other run. Is this the fault of our OL? Our play design? I don't have the stats on hand, and I'm not going to make any up, but I recently heard the percentage of times our backs got hit in the backfield and it was staggering (don't remember the specific percentage, and not sure how to find it).

Even when we are getting blown out, it seems like almost every run we try and sneak in gets abruptly snuffed out.

If you watched last nite's game, then you might remember a comment by Collinsworth after CJ Andersen broke a stretch ZBS run for a fairly long gain. It was about one blocker handling the Pat's NT and how "once a big man gets moving laterally, he becomes easier to handle." All true...

Whether it's our predictability or lack of respect for our pass-game or something else, our opponents' DL seem to attack our ZBS. Quite often at least one of our interior three succumb to that "attack", get pushed into our backfield and a TFL occurs.

Archived