THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine with not so great clock management.

WalterWhite

Speaking of insane calls.....how about Harbaugh going for it on 4th and 1 from his own 20......with a lead AND time on the clock...

I know a lot of folks probably think that was "gutsy".....but the truth is that it was just dumb....and he was lucky they got it.....

Now, just imagine if Pettine made that call......

Speaking of insane calls.....how about Harbaugh going for it on 4th and 1 from his own 20......with a lead AND time on the clock...

I know a lot of folks probably think that was "gutsy".....but the truth is that it was just dumb....and he was lucky they got it.....

lols, he was obviously irritated that his team wsa winning. Now why would that be? lmao

You're totally right, and you're right about going for two as well. That made NO SENSE. However, cooler heads prevailed and coach made the correct decision. In fact, the game almost played out exactly like coach would've liked until he completely messed up the clock management. Mud, do you feel that Pettine has struggled with clock management throughout his first two years? I believe I read somewhere that Pettine blamed the clock management issue on "faulty radio transmitters", and he said he couldn't communicate with Austin Davis. The problem with that explanation is that coaches have the ability to call timeouts THEMSELVES, so why did it matter that he couldn't communicate with Davis via the headset?

I'll admit I've been a Pettine supporter. I enjoyed his apparent no-nonsense attitude and have no problem w/him sitting JM for partying and lying about it. But goddamn it's getting harder and harder to defend this guy cause of his clock management. The fact that we even tried to score at the end of the first half shocked me. I feel like there were multiple games last year where we'd have the ball with over a minute to go and not try shit. I apologize if it was posted here and I missed it but was there any explanation as to why we wasted so much time on that final drive? Davis sliding in-bounds, while dumb as hell, didn't bother me nearly as much as the 30 or so seconds wasted right before that. I'd understand if we were closer to the endzone but it made no sense to me given where we were on the field.

Mud,

What that call was came down to a total disrespect for our defense as Baltimore was THAT SURE the play would succeed. Not only did they NOT let the time clock run down to try to get us to jump offside, they MADE the 1st down. The call & play result SHAMED our defense & all associated with it.

Mike

You're totally right, and you're right about going for two as well. That made NO SENSE. However, cooler heads prevailed and coach made the correct decision. In fact, the game almost played out exactly like coach would've liked until he completely messed up the clock management. Mud, do you feel that Pettine has struggled with clock management throughout his first two years? I believe I read somewhere that Pettine blamed the clock management issue on "faulty radio transmitters", and he said he couldn't communicate with Austin Davis. The problem with that explanation is that coaches have the ability to call timeouts THEMSELVES, so why did it matter that he couldn't communicate with Davis via the headset?

Yes....Ive seen some poor clock management.....and have given him a few "rookie" passes, but it IS getting old.....

Weve mis-used our TO's a number of times now.....have been WAY too conservative at the end of halves....and, yesterday, left a rookie QB to burn time, when we could have controlled it for him

I think Austin was too slow getting the play off....but think the Coach was too slow to react.....shoulda called a TO, though Im not sure it was the difference in the game......

Mud,

What that call was came down to a total disrespect for our defense

Mike

Mike....I agree.....

Mud,

What that call was came down to a total disrespect for our defense as Baltimore was THAT SURE the play would succeed. Not only did they NOT let the time clock run down to try to get us to jump offside, they MADE the 1st down. The call & play result SHAMED our defense & all associated with it.

Mike

To quote Commander Riker from Star Trek TNG- "as well they should." Worst run D in the NFL, 1\2 yard was a gimme.

Mud,

Mike

If that was the case, then why not do it again at the very end when it was 3rd and even shorter?

If that was the case, then why not do it again at the very end when it was 3rd and even shorter?

Because, at that stage of the game, had it failed we had a very makable field goal to beat them. They still let the clock run down to see if we would jump offside

Tour, are you suggesting our D is to be respected? It was a far different situation than the first one.

Mike

It was full disrespect mode. He had no fear of the browns defense and why should he?

Pettine should have challenged the spot on the previous play. Schaub clearly started his slide at least a yard farther back than the spot they gave the Ravens.

I'm asking to see the logic behind asserting they knew they'd make it, but did not do it again.

I'm still waiting.

The 1st time, the game was NOT immediately on the line. The 2nd time it was. I'm not addressing this again Tour. Pettine, as usual, got his ass coached off. All you have to do is open your eyes.

Mike

Pettine should have challenged the spot on the previous play. Schaub clearly started his slide at least a yard farther back than the spot they gave the Ravens.

Who friggin cares. Both teams are going nowhere. If it were pettine, i would not have cared either. it would have been dumb if both teams were involved in a playoff spot but at this point in the season and the records of both teams, who cares. What are we playing for other than another high draft pick as usual...

What you don't understand is that Pettine needs those timeouts at home. He gets a call saying, "That f'n Manziel is at another all-nighter in Austin Mike."

"Son of a bitch! Honey, would you go to my timeout drawer please. I need another one real bad."

Archived