THE BROWNS BOARD

If I were Jimmy Haslam...

lodilobo

After watching most of the game last night, and season, it is clear that this entire team, with a few exceptions is infected with a disease. These players / coaches refuse to win, and will lose under all circumstances. The Browns have set new depths of losing in all situations. There is no hope, whatsoever, for this group to ever win another game. That's why I would plead with the commissioner to grant the Cleveland Browns a waiver for the remaining games, to simply forfeit the rest of the season. If I could get that approval, I would cut all players, immediately, and of course, fire all coaches and management. The players who haven't quit on this team, would be interviewed for next season. No coaches would be retained. This would not really offend the players....90% of them don't want to be here, and have no interest in playing. If anything, it was clearly displayed last night....to a national audience, that this is not a franchise on the upswing. We are wallowing in incompetence...especially in coaching. It's time to shut it down and start new and fresh with real football people. Pettine will never get an interview for a HC position again. If this was a temporary run of bad luck, or less talented players, it would be different. It's not that, but a tradition as consistent as reliable as the Buzzards returning to Hinckley on April 15th.

I would make an offer to Gruden

If you have the game dvr'd go back and watch when they show Gruden talking, he is all about the Browns which was refreshing to see someone in the media not pile on.

First he talked about how he knows Jimmy, and that this wasn't going to cut it for this owner.

He talked about how he thinks Johnny can still be the guy and how much he looks forward to seeing him play . . . Does anyone else say this?

He talked about how great the fans are for sticking with the team since '99

He talked about how great it's going to be when they finally are competitive, after which he said they just have to get the right people in place. The look on his face when he said that was saying, I'm that fucking guy Jimmy.

I think he's a young guy who still has something to prove after being fired by Tampa, and no better way to prove something than turning this mockery into something. Plus he's from Sandusky and grew up a Browns fan.

I'm calling Gruden as HC of the Cleveland Browns in 2016.

I would honestly fold the browns. Retire the name and colors and start anew. The problem with the browns is that the Cleveland Browns have a tradition of losing. I know now that will never change. So something else has to change.

I've been saying this since '99.....some of these old nostalgic die hard fans / farts will not hear of it. THIS IS NOT THE TEAM WE ROOTED FOR IN THE 60'S, 70'S, AND 80'S...PERIOD. All they have done is create another name for "loser" .... by keeping the name / colors intact. The Cleveland Browns were one of the winningest franchises in professional football not that long ago. A well respected team, with heart, and always had a chance to win, no matter who the opponent was. You saw the team wearing purple last night? I hate them, but they are exactly the type of team that used to wear orange and brown, and play on the lakefront in Cleveland, Ohio......that IS reality. Just because some of you weren't around to see it, doesn't make it phantasy.

Is that what your worried about? The franchise moving again? Well...guess what?.....you have no control over that. That was proven the first time. If they can move a winning franchise with an excellent fan base, and sells out regularly, they can sure as Hell move this crap. You think Haslam will get pissed at the fans, and move the team? Don't be so paranoid over something you can't control. If I thought my posts here had any influence over the Cleveland Browns, good or bad, I wouldn't be so nice when I post here.

I haven't been this depressed about the Browns since they moved. I see no hope in this team as it stands right now. Explode and start over is the only feasible option imo. What we have now is sure as hell not working. Pettine/Farmer obviously have issues with each other and both should go. Haslam should seek advice from someone who has much more experience in the ownership role in choosing a new coach. Maybe ex high school coaches not a good idea.

Haslam should seek advice from someone who has much more experience in the ownership role in choosing a new coach. Maybe ex high school coaches not a good idea.

I agree with this 100%.....

Haslam(a new owner) has surrounded himself with a completely rookie staff....no one in that FO has any experience at their job....no one.....

If he makes changes, he better hire someone who knows something, instead of a bunch of rookie yes men.....

If you have the game dvr'd go back and watch when they show Gruden talking, he is all about the Browns which was refreshing to see someone in the media not pile on.

First he talked about how he knows Jimmy, and that this wasn't going to cut it for this owner.

He talked about how he thinks Johnny can still be the guy and how much he looks forward to seeing him play . . . Does anyone else say this?

He talked about how great it's going to be when they finally are competitive, after which he said they just have to get the right people in place. The look on his face when he said that was saying, I'm that fucking guy Jimmy.

I think he's a young guy who still has something to prove after being fired by Tampa, and no better way to prove something than turning this mockery into something. Plus he's from Sandusky and grew up a Browns fan.

Confirmed. I saw him with a realtor in a diner in strongsville.

I think back a few years.....cant remember if it was when we hired Chud or Pettine.....but Gruden was being asked about the Browns job and if he would take it, etc.....and his reply was basically........." they never even asked me".....

And I took it that he felt a little slighted and wished they had.......

After watching most of the game last night, and season, it is clear that this entire team, with a few exceptions is infected with a disease. These players / coaches refuse to win, and will lose under all circumstances. The Browns have set new depths of losing in all situations. There is no hope, whatsoever, for this group to ever win another game. That's why I would plead with the commissioner to grant the Cleveland Browns a waiver for the remaining games, to simply forfeit the rest of the season. If I could get that approval, I would cut all players, immediately, and of course, fire all coaches and management. The players who haven't quit on this team, would be interviewed for next season. No coaches would be retained. This would not really offend the players....90% of them don't want to be here, and have no interest in playing. If anything, it was clearly displayed last night....to a national audience, that this is not a franchise on the upswing. We are wallowing in incompetence...especially in coaching. It's time to shut it down and start new and fresh with real football people. Pettine will never get an interview for a HC position again. If this was a temporary run of bad luck, or less talented players, it would be different. It's not that, but a tradition as consistent as reliable as the Buzzards returning to Hinckley on April 15th.

90% of these players are going to be playing the rest of this season for their future paychecks. Trust me, ALL of them want to remain in the league rather than have to go sell insurance.

So, if any of them do quit.....these coaches will know it (not that they know much about anything).....but more importantly, the scouts and coaches of other teams they may want to play for would know it. So....sure Browns player, tank it......and get ready to talk all about term vs. universal for the rest of your life.

Is that what your worried about? The franchise moving again? Well...guess what?.....you have no control over that. That was proven the first time. If they can move a winning franchise with an excellent fan base, and sells out regularly, they can sure as Hell move this crap. You think Haslam will get pissed at the fans, and move the team? Don't be so paranoid over something you can't control. If I thought my posts here had any influence over the Cleveland Browns, good or bad, I wouldn't be so nice when I post here.

No, they can't move. Lease term locked in place until like the 2030s. So don't waste one more breath on that concept.

Yea, if only. Not gonna happen though. (though....remember.....Gruden is from Sandusky and grew up a Browns fan I believe)

While growing up in Sandusky, Gruden was a Cleveland Browns fan. He was raised in the Roman Catholic faith.[4][5] When he was 15, Gruden attended Clay High School in South Bend, Indiana, while his father, Jim, served as an assistant to Dan Devine at the University of Notre Dame.[1] After graduating from high school in 1981, Gruden attendedMuskingum College in New Concord, Ohio. After one year, he transferred to the University of Dayton and lived at 3 Evanston (The Gateway), where he was a three-year letterman and backup quarterback for the Flyers[6] under coach Mike Kelly. Gruden never saw much playing time, but the Flyers posted a 24–7 record during his three seasons at UD.[7] Gruden graduated with a degree in communications in 1985.[1]

I think back a few years.....cant remember if it was when we hired Chud or Pettine.....but Gruden was being asked about the Browns job and if he would take it, etc.....and his reply was basically........." they never even asked me".....

And I took it that he felt a little slighted and wished they had.......

It's been my impression with Gruden that the Browns are the only team that could bring him out of his cush job and that he has stated on more than one occasion that he would like a shot at coaching JM. If anyone would be capable of handling JM, it would be him. And JM has a lot of respect/admiration for Gruden. If I were Gruden I would insist on 4 years to makeover this team. Ironclad with major buyout clause.

Jesus, Ag... let's just name the team the Cleveland Manziels and get it over with... Every comment Gruden made last nite was an enabling as could be.

I agree with this 100%.....

Haslam(a new owner) has surrounded himself with a completely rookie staff....no one in that FO has any experience at their job....no one.....

If he makes changes, he better hire someone who knows something, instead of a bunch of rookie yes men.....

1. When did DieHard decide to make actual posts?

2. Haslam had "football people" his first year. After they salivated over Chip Kelly and promised Jimmy they'd land him, they landed Chud. Haslam fired them.

3. You're forgetting Kuharich... an add on with extensive FO experience in NO and KC.

4. Where is the "yes men" comment coming from?

It's been my impression with Gruden that the Browns are the only team that could bring him out of his cush job and that he has stated on more than one occasion that he would like a shot at coaching JM. If anyone would be capable of handling JM, it would be him. And JM has a lot of respect/admiration for Gruden. If I were Gruden I would insist on 4 years to makeover this team. Ironclad with major buyout clause.

Right.....and I wouldnt mind Gruden(though I still think Pettine should get another year).....BUT, IF they are gonna do it, Id say do it sooner than later so he can at least assemble a decent staff....

Cause a new head coach who doesnt already have a set staff would be a bit of a repeat, if yer askin me....

Jesus, Ag...

1. When did DieHard decide to make actual posts?

2. Haslam had "football people" his first year. After they salivated over Chip Kelly and promised Jimmy they'd land him, they landed Chud. Haslam fired them.

3. You're forgetting Kuharich... an add on with extensive FO experience in NO and KC.

4. Where is the "yes men" comment coming from?

1) Dunno....I was a surprised as you are...... :blink:

2) Yes he did....yes they did.....yes he did.....

3) Ok....one guy.....but hes not really in a position to make much difference though...is he?

4) Ok....maybe not fair.....but I say that because a new owner "might" be intimidated by employees who know more than him????..... I dunno.....just seems weird that an experienced and successful business man(like Haslam) would not pursue more proven talent to run his ship.....I can see promoting someone to a new position, but cannot see having a whole organization built with people who are all new at their jobs....goes against everything Ive ever known as "smart business"...

90% of these players are going to be playing the rest of this season for their future paychecks. Trust me, ALL of them want to remain in the league rather than have to go sell insurance.

So, if any of them do quit.....these coaches will know it (not that they know much about anything).....but more importantly, the scouts and coaches of other teams they may want to play for would know it. So....sure Browns player, tank it......and get ready to talk all about term vs. universal for the rest of your life.

You watched the game right? Little effort out of the defense. They can't possibly be that slow, if they are trying. I think they're going through the motions. I refuse to believe that our best players are that bad. They never could have made it to the NFL. They lack motivation....Pettine is obviously no leader. Therefore he is not the right guy for HC. Up until now, I was holding out hope that maybe he would last another year, but it's pretty clear, he has no clue.

You watched the game right? Little effort out of the defense. They can't possibly be that slow, if they are trying. I think they're going through the motions. I refuse to believe that our best players are that bad. They never could have made it to the NFL. They lack motivation....Pettine is obviously no leader. Therefore he is not the right guy for HC. Up until now, I was holding out hope that maybe he would last another year, but it's pretty clear, he has no clue.

Yes, well, I don't know what goes through their minds. The defense has clearly tuned out the coaching staff. They don't give the effort....they are placed in bad situations.....but I cannot for the life of me see why they would not take their own self interest at heart and play for themselves and their future.

3) Ok....one guy.....but hes not really in a position to make much difference though...is he?

4) Ok....maybe not fair.....but I say that because a new owner "might" be intimidated by employees who know more than him????..... I dunno.....just seems weird that an experienced and successful business man(like Haslam) would not pursue more proven talent to run his ship.....I can see promoting someone to a new position, but cannot see having a whole organization built with people who are all new at their jobs....goes against everything Ive ever known as "smart business"...

3. Depends on how rigid Jimmy considers his Org Chart to be... I'm thinking "not too." Remember Haslam had direct contact during Farmer's suspension so a path was established.

4. Recent history had been a veritable parade of "proven talent" both in the FO and staff. I think Jimmy liked the "hunger" that I am sure both Farmer and Pet displayed through their interview processes. If you hit with their pairing, you are set for a very long time.

Man... it seems like a long time ago when Jimmy had the foresight to lock up Farmer and prevent his leaving for (where was it?) and we found Pet while wandering through the wilderness...

Archived