THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

dawg08

I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

This was his first action so I will give him a little more leeway.

The FO brought him in wanting to kick the tires on him to see if he could be a suitable backup. If Manziel (or whoever the hell is QB next year) starts next year, McCown may be retired or on his way out. It would be better to have a serviceable backup before being forced into picking over whoever is available in a pinch.

Other than the inexplicable slide to stay inbounds, I could not disagree with the OP more.

Took Davis one series to shake off a year's rust and lead us to a TD. Against a soft-ish D seeking to not allow chunks, he got us yardage in chunks. In that drive he made every read and every throw with great eye discipline to throw off the opposing Safties. He even showed pocket awareness and movement. Mechanically he was near flawless.

I'm ready to see more.

Edit: and McC isn't going anywhere. He's under contract for 2 more years and is the perfect, selfless veteran back-up to whichever young gun is at the other end of our never-ending bridge.

Other than the inexplicable slide to stay inbounds, I could not disagree with the OP more.

Took Davis one series to shake off a year's rust and lead us to a TD. Against a soft-ish D seeking to not allow chunks, he got us yardage in chunks. In that drive he made every read and every throw with great eye discipline to throw off the opposing Safties. He even showed pocket awareness and movement. Mechanically he was near flawless.

I'm ready to see more.

Edit: and McC isn't going anywhere. He's under contract for 2 more years and is the perfect, selfless veteran back-up to whichever young gun is at the other end of our never-ending bridge.

I would like to see McC around I just don't know if he can take this pummeling.

As for Davis, I definitely want to see more.

The knock on Davis was always raw arm strength - the 15 yd square out to the far sideline and the deep ball. He checked both of those boxes last night. (I think that square out to Benjamin was from the right hash to the left sideline.. anyone recall?)

He may not be the future, but he can be the rest of this season.

I nearly groaned last night when Pettine brought Davis on instead of Manziel. However, I'm glad I didn't rant at him because for me he brought us back in to the game. He certainly didn't lose it for us. I was ready to start calling for Manziel again, but after that performance I wouldn't complain seeing what more Davis can offer. If it was purely down to me though I'd still start Manziel. Personally the Manziel debate isn't over and I think it needs to be fast forwarded. A new more experienced HC next season might be what he needs- he certainly needs his life outside Berea micro managed. Give him rope at this moment in his life he will hang himself!

We gave the kid a decent chunk of change in order to check him out. If I was the Browns, I'd be thinking that Johnny is one screw up away from real trouble, and McCown is 36 years old and somewhat injury prone, so I need a third guy to explore. Davis is as attractive as any third stringer in the league, and he's actually won a handful of starts. I don't have any proof of this, but I would think Farmer was pretty high on the guy, and wants to see what he can do.

If memory serves me correct, Davis threw one pass that should've been picked off, and that's probably the rub on him. He appeared to have decent speed, and he's not afraid to let the ball go. There's a small part of me that would love to see him start a game or two, but the logical party of my brain says, "Why would so many other teams not be interested in this guy if he was worth a damn?" And no matter how talented Davis is, what QB not named Brady can win with absolutely no running game? Us running the ball is a complete embarrassment.

He appeared to have decent speed, and he's not afraid to let the ball go. There's a small part of me that would love to see him start a game or two, but the logical party of my brain says, "Why would so many other teams not be interested in this guy if he was worth a damn?" And no matter how talented Davis is, what QB not named Brady can win with absolutely no running game? Us running the ball is a complete embarrassment.

Yep! I cringed visibly when we were going to run the ball at the death and I'm sure I said quite a lot of things my children wouldn't have wanted to hear! Of all the times to rely on the running game for extra yardage that wasn't it! I get the logic, but not with our running game right now.

I predicted this in week two or three. Davis would start at some point. I watched him last year for St. Louis and thought he had talent. Lord knows the Rams would love to have him back. He came on after injuries to Bradford and Hill. But remember, very little veteran talent around him at receiver and running back.

I like this guy to start the rest of the season. And he's 26

Figured that he'd get a start before the year was over just due to McC injuries and JF just being JF. I watched AD alot last year with the Rams also and thought he looked pretty good. He got a few wins against SeaHawks, 49ers, and Bucs (w/ McC Qbing). He should have got a win against Dallas. Went 30/42 for over 300yds 3TDs and was up 21-0 in 2nd quarter, but they had NO Defense and lost 34-31. Another against Philly with NO Defense. Went 29/49 375yds 3TDs and lost 34-28. Somewhere around the 6th game of the season the Dfense started showing up, but the OLine was getting banged up and he was running for his life most of the time. I also bet Rams wish they still had him now. Don't over look him just because he was undrafted... Dude broke all of Favre's records at SoMiss, went there on a baseball scholarship and walked on for football. AD is also the Choir Boy they are looking for, appears to be a real good guy with an even better work ethic. JF probably needs to hang around him more if he wants to clean up his act and have a chance at a career.

goldendawg-- When we got AD from Rams, I was remembering a game that AD came in off the bench similar to last night to beat Chargers in SD? or just fell short on last drive?

Sorry guys, you can't teach football instincts. You have them or you don't. Last night Davis showed why he was relegated to just above the practice squad. The slide was a jamarcus Russell play all the way. Even 5 graders know enough to get out of bounds.

Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

Pettine, you need to be fired, no you need to be dunked repeatedly in the Lake off the 9th street pier until you get frostbite in all your toes..

I can't believe some of the people on this board support this moron.

I must have missed the Manziel imitation..........

He raised his arms and almost money-signed, but stopped short and approximated something looking more like bad jazz-hands.

You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny.

It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

It's arguments like this that make it easy to support Pet...

I'm still in support Pet mode...but I'm starting to think that a change is coming. I hope not but I have that feeling. I didn't see the game last night. First game I've missed in 2 years since the heartbreaking NE game from 2 seasons ago. I did scan through it after I knew the result thanks to so many people sending txt messages during the game. Just an amazing way to lose a game. It's like we try to invent new ways to do this shit.

Cincinatti is going down this weekend...

Davis broke all of Brett Favre records in College. I would like to see more of him for the rest of the season. I am done with the Manzgina Experiment.

Brett Favre? What a horrible human being! I've heard rumors that he got drunk when he was a rookie! They should have run him out of the league.

;)

WSS

Davis was put into a VERY tough spot, and he had good results. The biggest problem I have with the kid was he threw an interception, an EASY interception that was inexplicably dropped. It was not a good throw, and HOPEFULLY that was just a mental error and something that is not indicative of how he plays, but I believe the knock on him was that he throws picks too often. It was pretty bad. Obviously every QB throws interceptions, so I don't want to say the kid is awful because of one bad play, but the Bengals aren't dropping that.

I don't worry too much about the slide. I honestly think it was a brain fart and he had a billion things going through his head. That kind of stuff will come with game experience, and while it was totally common sense, I can imagine he was just a little frazzled.

On a positive note, Davis had multiple throws that were very impressive. He threw a deep out to Benjamin that literally couldn't be thrown ANY better. And what makes it even more impressive is it was a complete timing pattern. The ball wasn't late, early, high or low...it was absolutely perfect. That isn't an easy toss to make. You have to trust your receiver, trust your knowledge of the defense, and just let it fly. I also love the 3rd and 19 throw to get a chunk of yards back, and of course the 4th and 5 which I thought he had NO chance to complete.

Oh, and the TOUCHDOWN pass! Davis trusts that Duke will handle the rush, which he did, and he steps up in the pocket while keeping his eyes DOWN the field, and then delivers a total strike to Benji. Again, not behind, high, or low...directly in stride. It gave the fans a real moment to cheer for...something not very common this year.

Against just about ANY other team, I'd be excited to see Davis start again. The problem is, we play Cincy this week, and their defense makes even the most seasoned pro quarterbacks look bad. Often times they get immense pressure with rushing only 4, and yards and points are difficult to come by. If I had to guess, Davis' numbers will look something like 29-49 for 256 yards, 1 td and 2 picks.

Our running game will contribute 15 carries resulting in a bucket of laughter.

Guy has been a 3rd stringer and has likely barely gotten anywhere close to the # of reps McCown and Manziel have had - I'm not too surprised he had some mental mistakes after getting tossed in near the end of a primetime game against a divisional rival.

He put us in a position to win, which is pretty good.

Lets be honest.....for a guy who wasnt here for camp, just stepped into a game late, had no true reps in practice and is very inexperienced....he looked pretty damn good.

High completion percentage....nice looking passes.....and the highest rating of any Browns QB in a long long time.....

Now.....remember all the lame excuses we heard LAST year when Johnny went in under the same circumstances???...hmm?....

Ill remind you....not fair to Johnny, were setting him up to fail, too soon to play him, etc etc etc....

Well...we musta set Davis up to fail too....which was so unfair.....But, then again, he flourished...

I bet Mike Pettine LOVES this guy...and who would blame him?.....;)

Then Pettine, clock management? You bench Johnny for telling a lie when there are people like that asshole Ray Lewis passing judgement on Johnny. He is a class A criminal. Dude make him run laps or some other such shit instead of ruining one man for life and putting in an inbred from Mississippi.

Clock management was unacceptable, major malfunction. Don't think it was as much JF telling a lie as much as supposed to be cleaning up his act and you get a dang video all over social media as an I don't give a crap just the opposite attitude... If he keeps on the track that he's on, he'll end up in trouble that he can't get out of and won't be our qb any way. BUT COME ON MAN.... INBRED??? Really.....

Here's Pettines quote......sounds reasonable to me....

Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win,” Pettine said. “He’s been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well.”

Its official....Davis starts this week.....

Start the cheering and whining....depending on your inclination.... ;)

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Austin-Davis-named-Browns-starting-QB-vs-Bengals/0e1fdb84-a138-48bd-9b35-b83b2bd038bd

I'm fine with this...why not. He looked ok Monday night in the little bit that I saw. But to me...it shows that for all the "this is a week to week thing" and "Johnny isn't done in Cleveland" stuff they're saying to the media. Johnny should get pretty comfy in the doghouse because that's where he's staying the rest of the year and I don't see any way he's back in Cleveland with Pettine as coach. It's possible they're both gone but if Pettine stays...Johnny is playing elsewhere next year.

Archived