THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

dawg08

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news and it's exactly what I hoped for.......... This decision puts a fork in the Johnny Football experiment.

Pump the breaks there Timmy. It's just one game, and if Davis shits the bed, people will be shouting for Manziel again. Plus, there's a pretty decent chance Davis gets injured.

I am definitely eager to see more. I just wish it wasn't against the Bengals. Their defense is talented, aggressive, and without too many weaknesses. It's a tall task to ask a third stringer to come in and play well, but this is why he makes the big bucks, and I wish him well. The task grows even more difficult when you factor in our abysmal running attack, as it appears any yards we get will come directly from the air. Gruden called us out pretty badly the other night about being one dimensional, and it especially hurt considering we were fed continuous quotes about how we WILL run the ball effectively and minimize the QB position. Anyways...good luck kid.

Well.... this pretty much confirms, to me that Pettine will not play Manziel under any circumstances, unless ordered to by Haslam. I'm certainly no Johnny Football fan. I don't think he will ever become a decent qb, but I could be wrong, I guess. Now I'm starting to think the Pryor acquisition was designed by Pettine to insure he would never be forced into playing Manziel. Not really fair....Pettine knows he's gone, and just going out his way. I have to say, at this point....good riddance.

Pump the breaks there Timmy. It's just one game, and if Davis shits the bed, people will be shouting for Manziel again. Plus, there's a pretty decent chance Davis gets injured.

The lil' fella is done.

Well, I am saddened yet another week. BUT I totally understand it. Davis is not a true third stringer, he is a good qb. Many teams screwed up by letting him stay thitd string for the Browns and not making him their backup (Cowboys for one).

I expect him to do well, just another step closer to Johnny being gone. I hate it, but it looks pretty plain, barring something else happening.

Good call.

Disagree about seeing the last of JM though. I think we will and well might have this week, but for Austin's showing in his TD drive. And it won't be due to injury. It will be earned.

Meanwhile... we're going vertical...

I expect him to do well, just another step closer to Johnny being gone. I hate it, but it looks pretty plain, barring something else happening.

I see no reason why we can't keep Manziel. He'll be at least a decent if not interesting backup next year.

Being held accountable for his actions is something he should expect anywhere. He's shown improvement this year. Keeping him is probably better than the 6th or 7th round pick we'd get in exchange.

The franchise QB spot on the browns is still open, and will be next year.

Good call.

Disagree about seeing the last of JM though. I think we will and well might have this week, but for Austin's showing in his TD drive. And it won't be due to injury. It will be earned.

Meanwhile... we're going vertical...

We have seen the last of JM because Austin Davis is Tom Brady reincarnate.

ADAVIS 2016 AND BEYOND

We have seen the last of JM because Austin Davis is Tom Brady reincarnate.

ADAVIS 2016 AND BEYOND

Everybody sitting around me at the game Monday was disappointed when he came in, I assured everyone he was the best QB on the roster - and he did not disappoint in a game he set us up to win.

Everybody sitting around me at the game Monday was disappointed when he came in, I assured everyone he was the best QB on the roster - and he did not disappoint in a game he set us up to win.

I like the kid. I'm all in on him. We'll be saying "Johnny Manziel who" in 15 years when Austin Davis gets elected to the NFL HOF.

Interesting. I hope Austin Davis lights it up. He'll have McCown in his corner,

and I hope Davis is ready to shine. He's been there before, and impressed....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224230-austin-davis-is-better-long-term-qb-option-for-rams-than-sam-bradford

Awesome news and it's exactly what I hoped for.......... This decision puts a fork in the Johnny Football experiment.

........in Cleveland. ..............."Hello Jerry? Understand you may be in the trading business when the season is done. Got a 3 for 1 offer for you to contemplate 'till then. Maybe even 4 for 1 when JG rejoins us."

Lets be honest.....for a guy who wasnt here for camp, just stepped into a game late, had no true reps in practice and is very inexperienced....he looked pretty damn good.

He looked like a Jeff Fisher QB. Jeff is an Air Coryell/vertical-attack believer. We are probably going to see more attacking downfield with Davis at the helm.

And while Austin may not have gotten 11 on 11 reps, he clearly has had pass drill time. His medium to deep balls were as good as we've seen this year.

Hope we don't reel him in too much.

Aside: Just struck me that the TD to Benji was similar, if not identical, to one of JM's TDs vs. TN. Not sure which, but I think it was the 1st, the designed one. Difference was JM had time to stand in while AD was forced to step-up. Still Austin delivered a shorter deep ball, meaning he recognized the opening earlier.

........in Cleveland. ..............."Hello Jerry? Understand you may be in the trading business when the season is done. Got a 3 for 1 offer for you to contemplate 'till then. Maybe even 4 for 1 when JG rejoins us."

HA!....funny you say that....because I was thinking Jerry could NOT turn down the prospect of Johnny AND Gordon as a package deal......both for his first rounder....

If just one works out....it still was a good deal.....

And Johnny would have Gordon and Dez to throw to......

Aside: Just struck me that the TD to Benji was similar, if not identical, to one of JM's TDs vs. TN. Not sure which, but I think it was the 1st, the designed one. Difference was JM had time to stand in while AD was forced to step-up. Still Austin delivered a shorter deep ball, meaning he recognized the opening earlier.

Yep, the first one(2nd play of the game, to be exact).....looked like the same play to me......eggsactly the same play.....

While I'm not a Manziel fan, he's started 2 games vs Cincy out of his 5 career starts. One would think Pettine would consider this when he made his decision- Johnny being kind of familiar with what the Bengals bring on D would be an asset.

Davis has starting experience but has never played the Bengals. Another learning curve to overcome.

While I understand Pettine's stance on sending a message to Johnny, I think it puts the Browns at a competitive disadvantage this week.

While I'm not a Manziel fan, he's started 2 games vs Cincy out of his 5 career starts. One would think Pettine would consider this when he made his decision- Johnny being kind of familiar with what the Bengals bring on D would be an asset.

Davis has starting experience but has never played the Bengals. Another learning curve to overcome.

While I understand Pettine's stance on sending a message to Johnny, I think it puts the Browns at a competitive disadvantage this week.

Going from Manziel to Davis is what puts us at competitive disadvantage against the Bengals?

Pass the dutchy on the left hand side.

He isn't sending a message to Johnny. He's sending a message to Jerry

There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

I saw it too Mud

Going from Manziel to Davis is what puts us at competitive disadvantage against the Bengals?

Pass the dutchy on the left hand side.

Yeah, and that our pass rush and secondary suck.

Archived