THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor is back Baby!

ColumbusKing

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad they recognized their blunder.. my issues are

1) the poor/delusional inability to recognize talent - someone who still has a job asserted at some point that there was a beast within the dark recesses of Robert Turbin just waiting to be unleashed.

2) Lack of development of the players they do have - outside of Gary Barnidge, name one person who's outperformed. Desir? Back of the DB pack. Solomon? Will be cut. Kruger? Please. Alex Mack? No.

At this point, why not, right? We absolutely NEED red zone targets. Do I think Pryor will come in and light it up? Hell no, I don't think that at all. But can the guy run a fade to the back of the end zone and jump for a ball? I think so. Perhaps he can do a little more.

obviously that question wasn't specific enough -- Who developed during the current season only

Benjamin/Gabriel were the only threats last year and have continued to be.

Bitonio and Schwartz were near-pro-bowl last year. Gipson was pro bowl last year..

Kwaun was the #3 CB last year.

Glad they recognized their blunder.. my issues are

1) the poor/delusional inability to recognize talent - someone who still has a job asserted at some point that there was a beast within the dark recesses of Robert Turbin just waiting to be unleashed.

2) Lack of development of the players they do have - outside of Gary Barnidge, name one person who's outperformed. Desir? Back of the DB pack. Solomon? Will be cut. Kruger? Please. Alex Mack? No.

Maybe Meder?

I refuse to get excited until it's "official" and, for some odd reason, I don't consider Mary Kay's information "official".

I do hope it's correct, but we'll see.

Mike

Guessing McC on IR?

DOH!

Or that. TP can be third QB for a few games. He'll probably even get playing time.

Someone has their thinking cap on...

Good emergency option with Thiggy only a call away... (<--- seems like a Pre-season deja vu')

1. You forgot West... and Turbine has 46 yds on 9 carries for the 'Boys. Not beastly yet, but

2. Solomon played like three snaps, so not exactly a valid point.

McCown... Manziel (on-field) have both out-performed. Benji certainly has. In the OL... Schwartz.

On D... K'waun come to mind.

I thought it was a mistake to cut him and keep a non-productive superslow Bowe. Farmer too f'n proud to admit a mistake that ended up costing big $. Those two shots of Bowe unable to get open and then just standing on the sidelines says it all. I could haul a 2 step ladder around out there and get just about as open as he does, at just about the same speed too, turtle X's 2 and snail X's 10.

I have no issue with this signing.....though Im not really excited either.....

My cynicism is taking over I think, cause no matter what happens with Pryor, it leaves me feeling like somethings really wrong....

If he's great(which would be awesome).....then I wonder why the hell we cut him and kept the average to bad guys instead....

And if he sucks....then why did we resign him, when we(and a bunch of other teams) already knew he wasnt good enough????....

So....either way this goes.....it leaves me wondering(extra) about our personnel decisions.....

None the less.....Im curious.....lets have a look.....

"outside of Gary Barnidge, name one person who's outperformed" Benjamin, K'Waun Williams, Bitonio, Schwartz, Gipson, Gabriel, should I continue?

Id say that "most" of our truly "proven" good players continued to play their normal solid game......Thomas, Mack, Whitner, Dansby and Traymon Williams all come to mind quickly.....

And, since Pettine has been here, we have found & developed a few.....Meder, Kwaun, Gabe, Hawkins and Barnidge all come to mind quickly....

We have also added a few that look like they've started well and will develop into players....Coons, Duke, Kirksey, Shelton, Bitonio, Erving & Austin all show some promise.....

And at least a few guys who got a LOT better under Pettine.....such as Robertson, Barnidge, Schwartz, Greco & Benji.....even McCown had his best season ever.....

And, then, there are those who we were counting on, but they just never have been good or "regressed" or had worse seasons than they normally do....Kruger, Mingo, Crowell, Bowe and Hartline have all been let downs and not really given us quality since they've been here.......And Haden and Gipson both fell way short of their normal production, though both have dealt with serious injury issues....

So.....I only REALLY count 7 guys on the current roster that I would say "got worse" or did not perform up to realistic expectations.....

And...I count 6 guys who clearly got "better" this year....

And...I count 5 guys who just played like they've always played.....

And...I count 10 guys who are rookies or year 2 players who have performed pretty well and look like they will be keepers.....

And the rest are basically what Id consider average players who played average....not better, not worse, not great, not terrible....

Great analysis Mudfly! I have some questions. I think from your analysis about 25% of players got worse- is this a lot more than a franchise would expect? I'm guessing yes as they would want everyone to at least stay at the same level and for the younger players to improve?

Secondly, do we have a lot more younger players on our roster than other franchises and how big a difference does this make?

Thirdly of the players you mentioned who have regressed there are secondary defense, a RB and WRs. Our running game has clearly been rotten all season, but how do you rate our D Line?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how much can be levelled at the coaching staff when they are all rookies themselves?

I'm guessing yes as they would want everyone to at least stay at the same level and for the younger players to improve?

Secondly, do we have a lot more younger players on our roster than other franchises and how big a difference does this make?

Thirdly of the players you mentioned who have regressed there are secondary defense.......Our running game has clearly been rotten all season, but how do you rate our D Line?

I guess I'm trying to figure out how much can be levelled at the coaching staff when they are all rookies themselves?

Id say, yeah, you always want your players to get better, but reality is that players dont just get better every year....they should improve as young players....then as veterans they usually have some up years and some down years...then they get old and fall off again.....So to just pick a couple guys and say "they got worse, therefore the coach sucks" doesnt work for me....I need more....

I think we are right in the middle age wise....and think a balance between young and old is always needed....too young or too old rarely works out.....

I think our DB's falling off have hurt the team the most this year. Haden and Gipson missing, along with all the other injuries really cause a ripple effect......

And I think our D line is much improved....but our Linebackers are so awful, it didnt really make much difference....

I have no issue with this signing.....though Im not really excited either.....

My cynicism is taking over I think, cause no matter what happens with Pryor, it leaves me feeling like somethings really wrong....

If he's great(which would be awesome).....then I wonder why the hell we cut him and kept the average to bad guys instead....

And if he sucks....then why did we resign him, when we(and a bunch of other teams) already knew he wasnt good enough????....

So....either way this goes.....it leaves me wondering(extra) about our personnel decisions.....

None the less.....Im curious.....lets have a look.....

I'm happy to take the chance on Pryor, but the reason I'm not enthused is because he tried out for the Patriots, Jets, Seahawks, 49ers, Giants and according to his Instagram Chicago before coming back to us. That doesn't inspire mounds on confidence to say the least but we also can't be worse so we'll see how it goes.

It's a good move by a desperate team. If something happened to Benjamin who do we have? Please don't say Hartline. Hartline can move the chains but two deep threats with Pryor is nice.

Now we need to get a kicker. The whole world was laughing at us last night.

I would have thought at this point of the season they would have been good with rolling with Manziel and Davis? Does anyone else think this could indicate a coming suspension for Johnny? I still think there is more going on behind the scenes than just they lying to the coach.

Archived