THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor is back Baby!

ColumbusKing

But he's a straight ahead runner with average to below average acceleration. He doesn't move well laterally and is barely used as a receiver out of the backfield and, for those reasons, he'd fail in a ZBS scheme. His best fit is with a traditional power system, preferably with an active FB or two large tight ends.

Alabama runs a fantastic power blocking system - account for the four largest players around the intended hole, FB lead blocks the first man to show, TE works out to in, and this gets their RB's in a one-on-one with the secondary - who are outweighed by 30 pounds and stand no chance against a runner with a full head of steam. That's why Alabama runners have traditionally been larger, bullish runners and not shiftier backs.

Those are the keys to my concerns in a nutshell.

Separating a RB from a Bama run game filled with very good athletes is problematic. I could not do it with TR. I had a better feel for Yeldon, but much of that was due to his pass-catching and unusually "shifty" play for a Bama back that he showed in space.

It will be interesting to see what Henry posts at the combine... including his weight.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flip said that he doesn't expect Pryor to play this weekend, but said it wasn't because he wasn't physically ready. Pryor is apparently in outstanding shape (never been an issue for him), but his grasp of the playbook is lacking. That being said, it sounds to me like we're going to see Pryor VERY soon. When asked if we'd see Pryor play this season, Flip responded emphatically, "Oooooh yeah, we're going to see him play very soon."

I'm not debating what you thought of when you saw him, I was debating what Ag was saying about how Henry and Dickerson share the same breakaway speed. I can see why you'd have glimpses of Dickerson, he runs upright and runs through arm tackles.

Again, not a debate on what you were saying, only a debate on what Ag was saying and just my personal feeling on the matter.

I never said he had the same breakaway speed as Dickerson, but I did say that like Dickerson he has breakaway speed when he gets into the secondary and that like Dickerson, he has those very deceptive long strides that fool people into thinking he has slow feet, especially when he runs right by them and then leaves them well behind never to catch up. I did not say it, but I think he has more power for the tough inside yards than Dickerson had. Not quite Earl Campbell, but pretty hard to stop one on one nonetheless. Dickerson had better speed around the corners because he could reach his top speed faster than a heavier Henry.

I'm just asking you keep an open mind as our 2nd pick. I'm not asking that we take him high in the 1st.

and another consideration is that a big guy like Henry may have a slower 40 time then some of the WRs and CBs, but thats an off the line measurement.....So, without that quick twitch body, It may take them a tad longer to get going.....but, with that long stride and some momentum gained running downfield, I bet they get going plenty fast....(and faster than that 40 time might suggest)

and another consideration is that a big guy like Henry may have a slower 40 time then some of the WRs and CBs, but thats an off the line measurement.....So, without that quick twitch body, It may take them a tad longer to get going.....but, with that long stride and some momentum gained running downfield, I bet they get going plenty fast....(and faster than that 40 time might suggest)

Exactly what you see when he breaks through the LB's.

It would be interesting to put the new technology on him that shows how fast in MPH you are going at top speed. They clocked Miles Garrett tracking down a running back where he caught him at the corner going 21 MPH, damn fast for a 6'5" 270 lb DE.

The 10 and 20 yard splits say a lot about that. Personally I really like the insight a 3-cone gives.

And just as I typed the above I recalled the possibility being discussed after the last Combine of replacing the 40 with some other measure.

We disagree on both counts. Take a look at some of his longer runs here and tell me this is not unlike Eric Dickerson strides that hide deceptive breakaway speed.

Yeah Ag, I looked at those highlights- and to be charitable to you- Earl Campbell. Nah. Try Ron Dayne on the downside, or Bus Bettis on the upside. Dickerson- he ain't, doesn't have the moves. BTW, I will never forget Dickerson flat-out quitting against the Browns (walked off the field) in a MNF game against the Browns.

I'm not sure where the Dickerson comparison comes in...Dickerson was one of the fastest RB's of his time.

Henry is not, and it's not even close. He's a plodder with slow foot speed. He's a short yardage back similar to Marcel Reece. Not even close to Dickerson in the least.

I'm with TC. We've seen far too many 'Bama RBs get to the pros and never amount to a hill of beans. I still have a bad Trent Richardson taste in my mouth.

What former QBs have actually made the transition to WR? Anyone? I can think of the two Kent staters: Cribbs and Edelman.

Who else?

Gip, I think you forgot about another Kent Stater......Josh Cribbs.

Early morning film has me leaning more towards Tim and Tour's assessment of Henry.

As for Terrelle - Pettine said he likely would not be active Sunday. Sure, I'll give him a week of practice to get caught up.

However, if Pryor is 'NOT' active next Sunday and Bowe is... that might make me start question Coaches decision making process.

Especially with Hawk and Gabe potentially out.

edit: Just had a brilliant idea. Allow me to collect my thoughts and I'll be back.

Early morning film has me leaning more towards Tim and Tour's assessment of Henry.

edit: Just had a brilliant idea. Allow me to collect my thoughts and I'll be back.

1. Mine was more of a fear than an assessment.

2. This had better be good... you put a lot of pressure on yourself.

Just fired up the old Madden machine and I'll say this - a Browns offense with Cardale Jones, Josh Gordon, Laquon Treadwell, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, Duke Johnson and Ezekiel Elliott is a crazy fun video game team to play with.

I also drafted Joey Bosa, in case you were wondering if I liked Ohio State.

So did any of you watch him in the SEC championship game? See what a power back he can be for us and also can outblock any of our TE's. Florida has one off the best running D's anywhere and yet he made almost 200 yds and broke Hershel Walker's single season SEC rushing record. If they had used him much against that lower level college a few weeks back he'd have broken 2000 yds for the season.

Yup... watched some. Saw a couple minor adjustments to holes moved a yard one way or the other. Even saw one play bounced completely to the outside. Also saw a couple of run stuffs that had him burrowing to make a yard. But mostly saw well defined holes where they were drawn up with clear paths to the 3rd level.

How any ZBS plays did Bama run? How many times did Henry reverse field or even cutback during a run?

So did any of you watch him in the SEC championship game? See what a power back he can be for us and also can outblock any of our TE's. Florida has one off the best running D's anywhere and yet he made almost 200 yds and broke Hershel Walker's single season SEC rushing record. If they had used him much against that lower level college a few weeks back he'd have broken 2000 yds for the season.

He looked wholly ordinary.

Well I guess you guys just don't really want a power back who makes yards after the hit. You want another dancer I guess. But if we want to be a run first O as Pettine claims, then go ahead and dance away.

I want a LB with nasty attitude. And we are developing a pretty good rb already. The team makes Henry look good, to draft him, I would much rather have it the other way around

Took him 40+ carries to reach the number. As I said, endurance is his strength, but it's only one part of the evaluation. In the first half, his YPC was 3.something. In college, where YPC isn't "good" until it's well over 5, 3.something is highly average. It's extraordinary how average Bama's running game is until they get to the late part of the contest. Still, no one's been able to beat it at that time, at least not in the back half of the season.

Tia, what's a man gotta do to get some credit around here?

Well I guess you guys just don't really want a power back who makes yards after the hit. You want another dancer I guess. But if we want to be a run first O as Pettine claims, then go ahead and dance away.

I'd take a talented power back, just haven't seen one yet.

I just meant on Alabama over the last 8 or so years now.

I'd take Zeke.

That has been my point all along. Zeke will not be there unless he is taken as our first pick. I like our Johnson too but he does not have the endurance to take NFL pounding, nor can he get the tough yards inside required of a team that declares it wants to pound the ball the old fashioned way. If he is there for our second pick and we take a pass then shame on us once again. This guy makes those yards despite everyone in the house knowing he is 80% of Bama's O. His power sets up everything. Pettine would give anything to win the way Bama wins, tough D and a controlling, in your face inside running game that sets up PA for the QB. Like I said, persist with the dancers and nothing changes in Cleveland. Let him go set up someone else's offense. I shall be vindicated. ;):lol:

So he's under 4 YPC in first halves fairly often, but you expect him to move the chains consistently in the first half of NFL games? Especially with our ungelled OL? Ain't happening.

Btw Tour, I believe Bama does use some ZBS. I see Henry flow outside then one cut a decent amount.

So he's under 4 YPC in first halves fairly often, but you expect him to move the chains consistently in the first half of NFL games? Especially with our ungelled OL? Ain't happening.

Btw Tour, I believe Bama does use some ZBS. I see Henry flow outside then one cut a decent amount.

True-but Bama's O is very run oriented that first half to soften teams up for him the second half. If everyone in the stadium knows what's coming, then under 4 ypc the 1st half should be expected. You can't just sneeze and write off a back who broke Walker's season record, especially when D's were geared to stop him. They used him that way to help their serviceable QB move the team. Everything they do starts with Henry in the backfield. Like I say someone will sign a valuable addition to their team late 1st or early 2nd. We do not have a back that can help set up the kind of O Pettine wants to run. Elliott won't be there unless we trade down and take him mid-1st as our first player taken. I could live with that. He's a fine player and we could help fill a lot of obvious needs in a trade down.

I think we need to draft LB in rounds 1 thru 5.....and hope we score at least 2 that can play......otherwise, nothing will get better....

Don't worry Mud, we have a reputation to maintain. So QB it is in rounds 1-5! One will stick. ^_^:P:lol::D

Thats what they need to do....overdraft their chosen position....

Good example?....how about picking Gilbert in Rd1....then Desir in Rd 4.....then Kwaun as a UDFA.....

Tapped 3 and got 2......just not in the order you would expect.....but those are the odds when drafting, so you take what you can get.....

Time to overdraft LB's.....lots and lots of LB's......fast ones, SMART ones, versatile ones, aggressive ones & mean ones....

But, please, dont bring me "potential" or " a DE conversion" or "a project"......just an accomplished(3 down) LB x 2 (or 3)

Archived