THE BROWNS BOARD

Mechanics of a trade.

The Gipper

Yes it is Gip- go find an instance where it's happened. When you waive a player, he's gone, and up for grabs by all the other 31 teams. If he clears waivers, he's a FA, and can sign with any team. See: Pryor, Terrell.

As was pointed out- during the season, NFL teams are only restricted talking to people under contract with another NFL team.

Gip just hates to be proven wrong.

Perhaps, but the fact is what I looked up said that post trade deadline trades could be made......so its not like I completely made it up.

And maybe I AM mixing up my sports....because know that post trade deadline trades have been made in baseball. I recall some trades being "blocked" because a rival team did not want a particular team to acquire a certain player after the trade deadline.

We can't trade Johnny until March 15th, though there could be a deal in principle made long before that. :)

2016 significant dates:

January 17: Playoff teams' assistant coaches can be interviewed for head coaching positions until the end of divisional playoff games.

January 18: Deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft.

January 23: East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida.

January 24: Conference championship games.

January 30: Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.

January 31: NFL Pro Bowl, Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii. Assistant coaches participating in the Super Bowl can have a second interview for a head coaching job prior to the Super Bowl.

February 7: Super Bowl 50, Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California.

February 22: Franchise tag period starts

February 23-29: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana

March 7: Franchise tag deadline, 4:00 p.m. ET.

March 12-15: Free agency negotiating period, starts noon ET. No contracts can be executed yet.

March 15: League Year and Free Agency Period begin at 4:00 p.m. ET, allowing teams to sign unrestricted free agents. Trading period begins.

Archived