THE BROWNS BOARD

Haden and Hawkins probably to IR

Kvoethe

Not to mention multiple concussions that will most likely lead to early retirement and a real possibility of early death. I kinda thought this site was for fans. You?

Who's leading the parade of tears for Evander Holyfield? Don't want to run into a burning building don't be a firefighter. Football is sport with risk and reward. You just don't see too many dominant DBs getting paid in their prime and then quietly exiting stage right with the cash.

it's also the first season Joe has been hit with injuries all season & multiple concussions in one season does not make him a crook when a Doc says NO

it's also the first season Joe has been hit with injuries all season & multiple concussions in one season does not make him a crook when a Doc says NO

And the really hard part is that you have no kind of rehab like a sprain or surgery would have. Those things you can push to recover from. Head injuries have a lot of unknowns to them and there is no real prescribed recovery process. And with the NFL concussion protocol rules, Joe has zero say so on his return right now. And that has to suck!

Almost $1 million per tackle in the first year of a 5 year $67 million deal, stellar for a 26 year old DB. bacon

cherry picked nonsense. He isn't a lb or a de. He's a cb. He's paid to prevent completions.

Go look at how many passes he's successfully defensed, and how many times nobody throws at him.

Preferable when 100 %.

Almost $1 million per tackle in the first year of a 5 year $67 million deal, stellar for a 26 year old DB. bacon

cherry picked nonsense. He isn't a lb or a de. He's a cb. He's paid to prevent completions.

Go look at how many passes he's successfully defensed, and how many times nobody throws at him.

Preferable when 100 %.

Have you watched this season? Joe was getting owned the before he went out

fIyingfool---I had 2 playing my junior year in Toledo. I was not right till the 5th month. the test you don't pass is when they tell you to keep your eyes closed, than tilt your head straight back & you go dizzy. Joe ain't foolin no one, it would be best for Joe to already be on IR.

fIyingfool---I had 2 playing my junior year in Toledo. I was not right till the 5th month. the test you don't pass is when they tell you to keep your eyes closed, than tilt your head straight back & you go dizzy. Joe ain't foolin no one, it would be best for Joe to already be on IR.

I've done the torn labrum and foot surgery thing but never got my head rattled that hard. I think a lot of vets coming back from Iraq with brain trauma brought these types of injuries to light and they looked into them closer. Glad your alright, for some it's constant headache or a buzzing in the ears. Gotta suck big time

the test you don't pass is when they tell you to keep your eyes closed, than tilt your head straight back & you go dizzy.

That's not normal?

I like Joe, on and especially off the field, however I have always thought he was over rated. A good CB for sure, but shut down CB? No, not even close. Hopefully he recovers and comes to camp next year, refocused and ready to ball out, because our new DC is going to need him.

No, no, no. He hasn't been himself this year...

but in past years, he's the guy who shut down Antonio Brown

and A.J. Green.

that is a shut down cb. His measurables are outstanding on the test

that gauged his range and quickness.

He isn't a kid anymore, but the Browns miss him in the backfield.

Look at the rankings on pass defense last year vs this year.

Joe Haden was everything right about the Cleveland Browns for several years. He was active in the community, supported other Cleveland teams, and was gracious with the media. He fought hard, often on terrible teams, and his play was never in question. It really sucks that he had such a bad year, and it didn't help at ALL that he was hurt for most of this season. He never got any traction, and it started in the preseason. I don't recall him playing hardly at all in the exhibition games, and I really think that hurt his rhythm. I'll never say a bad thing about Joe. He had a terrible season that was riddled with injuries and subpar play...but to me, it's one off year. Not a representation of him as a person or player.

Joe Haden was everything right about the Cleveland Browns for several years. He was active in the community, supported other Cleveland teams, and was gracious with the media. He fought hard, often on terrible teams, and his play was never in question. It really sucks that he had such a bad year, and it didn't help at ALL that he was hurt for most of this season. He never got any traction, and it started in the preseason. I don't recall him playing hardly at all in the exhibition games, and I really think that hurt his rhythm. I'll never say a bad thing about Joe. He had a terrible season that was riddled with injuries and subpar play...but to me, it's one off year. Not a representation of him as a person or player.

+1

The real question (if we decide to part ways with Johnny), is trying to determine is value. We all have heard how much Jerry Jones covets the young man, but what will he give up for him? Teams don't often part ways with high draft picks, especially for a player without a documented successful career AND one that displayed a pattern of questionable behavior. I think we'd be lucky beyond all luck to get a third rounder for him, and I'm probably crazy for saying that.

What really kills me is "what could've been". Johnny's talent is evident. Hell, just watching him in the pregame makes me drool. He fires the ball out so quickly, and his release is deadly fast. What would happen if he had an amazing running game? Can you imagine Johnny facing 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2? He'd be a nightmare to defend against. Teams wouldn't know if he was handing off, throwing the ball, or scampering for a first. He could run QB draws, swing passes, or play-action bombs. Johnny playing in a balanced offense would be fun to see, but unfortunately...we have the exact opposite. We have NO running game, and he has to throw almost all of the time, often facing 3rd and longs.

The real question (if we decide to part ways with Johnny), is trying to determine is value. We all have heard how much Jerry Jones covets the young man, but what will he give up for him? Teams don't often part ways with high draft picks, especially for a player without a documented successful career AND one that displayed a pattern of questionable behavior. I think we'd be lucky beyond all luck to get a third rounder for him, and I'm probably crazy for saying that.

What really kills me is "what could've been". Johnny's talent is evident. Hell, just watching him in the pregame makes me drool. He fires the ball out so quickly, and his release is deadly fast. What would happen if he had an amazing running game? Can you imagine Johnny facing 2nd and 3 or 3rd and 2? He'd be a nightmare to defend against. Teams wouldn't know if he was handing off, throwing the ball, or scampering for a first. He could run QB draws, swing passes, or play-action bombs. Johnny playing in a balanced offense would be fun to see, but unfortunately...we have the exact opposite. We have NO running game, and he has to throw almost all of the time, often facing 3rd and longs.

This is like any other negotiation: What is a willing buyer willing to give up to secure a commodity.....what is a willing seller willing to accept in return for that commodity.

Sometimes it may appear that "value" is overrated....because you get that one person that is willing to up the ante to beyond what many or most would think something is worth.

The question is what is a desperate man with a 35 year old walking hospital for a QB willing to give up for a talent with a lot of warts? My guess is that if you throw our other troubled 1st rounder in there he'd give us a 1st and a 5th or so in exchange. He does have a history of taking off field problem prone guys on his team. And the "fact" that other teams are interested shows that others see the potential, no matter the known risks.

The second question is whether Haslem really wants to part with him yet. I certainly don't know.

A 3rd may be high, but a conditional pick (or picks) could be a route. Depending on the contribution JM made our compensation could be that high... maybe higher.

Your JM impact assessment if we had a run game is reasonable, and can add that he has decent PAP skills. But the questions I have are:

1. Why haven't we used his read-option skills to jump start our anemic run game?

2. If we had a run game, why would we need his read-option threat?

The question is what is a desperate man with a 35 year old walking hospital for a QB willing to give up for a talent with a lot of warts? My guess is that if you throw our other troubled 1st rounder in there he'd give us a 1st and a 5th or so in exchange. He does have a history of taking off field problem prone guys on his team. And the "fact" that other teams are interested shows that others see the potential, no matter the known risks.

Gilbert? I don't see Jerrah parting with even more draft picks for another reclamation project. Especially since he has DB prospect issues of his own. However, he might be open to swapping disappointments in the hope that fresh starts in new systems might salvage them.... so maybe tack on Gilbert for Claiborne???

Question then is: would we be open to that?

Your JM impact assessment if we had a run game is reasonable, and can add that he has decent PAP skills. But the questions I have are:

1. Why haven't we used his read-option skills to jump start our anemic run game?

2. If we had a run game, why would we need his read-option threat?

Only one guy can answer that question and it seems like he doesn't even want him to play.

That's like asking why you would need potatoes when you already have roast beef.

WSS

Jerrah will probably unleah him and he will wreck the league while re-defining the quarterback position. While we sit and jerk it furiously thinking we are teaching him a lesson.

Jerrah will probably unleah him and he will wreck the league while re-defining the quarterback position. While we sit and jerk it furiously thinking we are teaching him a lesson.

That only thing that will 'unleah' JM will be playing behind a stout Oline with a proven running game and having Dez.

What if Haden is done?

Haden can't get past the concussion protocol. I don't know the particulars about his condition or its severity - but it seems pretty damn serious. What if he's done with the NFL? Can the Browns proceed with their current roster of DBs and be successful? Will they feel the need to draft a DB in the first round?? Will they grab some free agent???

Before the season starts, all players take a battery of tests. Hand eye, memory types of tests and these results create a base for each individual player. If they get their "bell rung" they have to retake these tests and if they hit below their base, they sit.

Is Joe done? could be but doubt it. My bet is that he returns next year better than ever. Shit, he got hurt preseason and then the head shots.

Joe would not be the first player to elect to retire due to concussions.

Someone will be the first to be forced out of the league by the new protocol.

I thought concussions were physical brain injuries related to the brain impacting the skull, but they are chemical disruptions. Simple distortion of brain cells through flexing or torqueing of the brain apparently is all it takes to alter the chemistry. So "recovery" is the nominal return to the base chemistry.

Short video here includes a segment illustrating "ripples" passing through the brain mass. That image had never occurred to me before.

http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_whatis.html

Apparently mental rest is only marginally secondary to physical. On the CDC list of activities to avoid, two would be problematic for most here:

- "Do not drink alcoholic beverages until your health care professional says you are well enough." and

- "Avoid sustained computer use, including computer/video games early in the recovery process."

Full list is here: http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/feel_better.html

What if Haden is done?

Haden can't get past the concussion protocol. I don't know the particulars about his condition or its severity - but it seems pretty damn serious. What if he's done with the NFL? Can the Browns proceed with their current roster of DBs and be successful? Will they feel the need to draft a DB in the first round?? Will they grab some free agent???

Ifo Expre-Olomu maybe the best 7th rounder we have never seen of Farmers in 2015. Any rehab updates?

Archived