THE BROWNS BOARD

Chat Sports - Browns to offer Urban Meyer largest contract in NFL history

WalterWhite

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Multiple sources on this, I would be in tremendous favor of this, Urban has one every where and went, and will get these guys to to want to play. Praying this happens

oh for the love of fucking god

1) c'mon he's a college coach that does well at the college level. His offense will not work in the NFL as is evidenced that his QB's do real good in college and then they don't. Do you guys really want to be the NFL team that Urban Meyer experiments on and then runs back to college? And obviously not Ohio state when he goes back? wouldn't you guys rather see him stay OSU and win another title there then come to cleveland, suck, then go back to the SEC or ACC?

2) I'll take Fickell as DC though. Bring him in with Bosa.

Although I'm not in favor of this, you can't go on qbs he's coached. Alex Smith may not be a super bowl qb. But he's pretty darn good.

Though u can't be that guy who wanted chip Kelly and not like this.

I'd rather them take a look at kirk ferentz from Iowa if anything. They been linked with him before and I think the current roster fits his style of football. Browns are in no position to start running the spread.

oh for the love of fucking god

1) c'mon he's a college coach that does well at the college level. His offense will not work in the NFL as is evidenced that his QB's do real good in college and then they don't. Do you guys really want to be the NFL team that Urban Meyer experiments on and then runs back to college? And obviously not Ohio state when he goes back? wouldn't you guys rather see him stay OSU and win another title there then come to cleveland, suck, then go back to the SEC or ACC?

2) I'll take Fickell as DC though. Bring him in with Bosa.

I'll take Urban Meyer and his college level offense than Mike Pettine and his Jr. High style defense

Gruden, Cowher, Dungy, Manning, Saban, and now Meyer.

Let's just bring them all on board and get 1 super staff.

---

Regardless, none of these rumors should be taken with the slightest seriousness as long as Pettine is the coach.

Even so, I don't want Urban Meyer - the guy is not an NFL coach, period.

Saban is much better suited to coach in the NFL - if we're talking about unrealistic head coach prospects that could make the jump.

If we fire Pettine we'll hear all these great names in full force - then we'll pick up the jags defensive backs coach in March, per usual.

You all wanted Chip Kelly, hows he doin in Philly?

Nick Saban decided the pros wasn't his cup of tea.

Pete Carroll failed with the Jets and Pats before having success in Seattle.

Lou Holtz failed with the Jets.

Steve Spurrier, highly successful..failed as the Redskins coach.

Butch Davis.

Barry Switzer highly successful at Oklahoma won a Super Bowl as HC of Dallas...with Jimmy Johnsons team. When things started going south, he resigned.

Only three highly successful college coach have won a championship in the NFL...Switzer, Carroll, and Jimmy Johnson.

Only Johnson was legit IMO...because Carroll didn't adapt to the NFL right away (3 tries) and Switzer did it with Johnsons team.

Anyone telling themselves Meyer is gonna come in here and be the browns savior is just desperate for a for a solution..

I've said for a while now that Meyer is one of the few college coaches I think could make it in the NFL. He wouldn't be the first to transition successfully and I think he could make the jump. If they want to make a change this year and are not wanting to go after or can't land a Gruden or Cower then he would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

I don't like the guy very much (I'm a diehard FSU fan, and he was a douche at Florida). Not to mention he went on the O'Reily Show a few months ago and made a big stink about Jamies Winston "stealing crab legs", and he said that he'd have a hard time letting that go (insinuating that he'd cut Winston). And what happens a month later? His starting QB gets a friggin' DUI and he suspends HIS starting QB for one game, LOL. What a hypocrite. Urban had so many felony arrests under his watch, it wasn't even funny at Florida. But I digress, I don't want to offend our many Ohio State fans, and I like the Buckeyes.

Let's get one thing straight: Urban Meyer is a terrific college coach, and his track record completely speaks for itself. But what can he bring to the pros? Does anyone think his offensive philosophy has a prayer in the NFL? Does he understand the pro game? Can he relate to grown men like he did with the younger ones? Who would he bring in as coordinators (which is the most important question to me).

I very much believe Haslam wants to make a "dramatic hire", and I also believe Haslam is DYING to get this right. I can't think of too many awesome college coaches that came into the pros and tore it up right away. Spurrier? Nope. Saban? Nope. Chip Kelly? Not really. I know I'm missing a ton right now, but it just seems like it doesn't work that well. Am I wrong?

I've read articles that say there are scenarios that have one of Farmer of Pettine coming back, but it's anyone's guess as to which one it is. I don't know much about GM's, and who we would like to replace Farmer, but if there is a talented GM out there, I wouldn't mind a scenario involving a new GM and a new defensive coordinator. That would allow us to have a little continuity, and also keep the same offensive coordinator. Maybe get a new offensive line coach?

I dunno, I'm grasping at straws.

oh and btw here's what's gonna happen. We'll run Urb out of Cleveland in a year, guaranteed, he'll skate back to college with a ridiculous buyout from Jimmy....won't go back to OH St and we'll become the Pariah's of Ohio for ruining OSU. No fuck that. You know who wants this? Michigan Harbaugh that's who.

oh and btw here's what's gonna happen. We'll run Urb out of Cleveland in a year, guaranteed, he'll skate back to college with a ridiculous buyout from Jimmy....won't go back to OH St and we'll become the Pariah's of Ohio for ruining OSU. No fuck that. You know who wants this? Michigan Harbaugh that's who.

I think you're onto something there. To continue the scenario just steal prior SB winner Harbaugh out of Mich. and kill two birds with one stone.

No, not a serious suggestion. :D

His starting QB gets a friggin' DUI and he suspends HIS starting QB for one game, LOL.

A 1 game suspension for a dewy in college football isn't outside the norm these days. It has happened several times over the last few years.

Archived