THE BROWNS BOARD

The Dysphoric Empire

The Gipper

They call the Browns Stadium the "Factory of Sadness".....but lets give a new moniker to the entire organization....especially the front office: I come up with "The Dysphoric Empire"

Here listed are the architects of that Empire. By year, these are the people that have been running this inept show...since 1999. Each year I will list the Owner/Team President/GM/HC:

Year...Owner................Team President............General Manager.....Head Coach

1999...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Chris Palmer

2000...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Chris Palmer

2001...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Butch Davis

2002...Al/Randy Lerner..Carmen Policy...........Dwight Clark..............Butch Davis

2003...Randy Lerner....Carmen Policy.............Butch Davis...............Butch Davis

2004...Randy Lerner....John Collins.................Butch Davis/ vacant..Butch Davis/Terry Robiskie

2005...Randy Lerner....John Collins.................Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2006...Randy Lerner....Randy Lerner...............Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2007...Randy Lerner....Randy Lerner...............Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2008...Randy Lerner....Mike Keenan................Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2009...Randy Lerner....Mike Keenan................George Kokinis..........Eric Mangini

2010...Randy Lerner....Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Eric Mangini

2011...Randy Lerner....Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Pat Shurmur

2012...Lerner/Haslam...Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Pat Shurmur

2013...Jimmy Haslam...Joe Banner..................Mike Lombardi............Rob Chudzinski

2014..Jimmy Haslam....Alec Scheiner..............Ray Farmer................Mike Pettine

2015...Jimmy Haslam...Alec Scheiner..............Ray Farmer................Mike Pettine

Learn a new word... check...

Couple random thoughts...

I remember thinking Lerner/Policy/Clark looked like a dream team.

If we had to pick a GM since '99 to go forward with, who better than Heckert?

"Dysphoria (from Greek: δύσφορος (dysphoros), δυσ-, difficult, and φέρειν, to bear) is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. It can also mean someone that is not comfortable in their current body, particularly in cases of gender dysphoria. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference. The opposite state of mind is known as euphoria."-Wiki

I'm familiar with the word from my counseling background and it's usually hand in hand with depression on some level. Sounds like an exact fit to me. :D

Learn a new word... check...

Couple random thoughts...

I remember thinking Lerner/Policy/Clark looked like a dream team.

If we had to pick a GM since '99 to go forward with, who better than Heckert?

Had Al Lerner lived.....and if they would have replaced Clark as GM....and had Butch just coached and left it at that.....it may have.

"Dysphoria (from Greek: δύσφορος (dysphoros), δυσ-, difficult, and φέρειν, to bear) is a profound state of unease or dissatisfaction. In a psychiatric context, dysphoria may accompany depression, anxiety, or agitation. It can also mean someone that is not comfortable in their current body, particularly in cases of gender dysphoria. Common reactions to dysphoria include emotional distress or indifference. The opposite state of mind is known as euphoria."-Wiki

I'm familiar with the word from my counseling background and it's usually hand in hand with depression on some level. Sounds like an exact fit to me. :D

A number of "science fiction" books are actually Dystopian stories (opposed to Utopian).....where society falls apart....

Like the Hunger Games, Divergence. The Book of Elah. Mad Max. Soylent Green. A Clockwork Orange. The Matrix. Blade Runner. The Terminator. Planet of the Apes. Gattaca. The Cleveland Browns Highlight films 1999-2015. There can be a narrow margin between dystopia and science fiction Also Go back to the novels like 1984, Brave New World. Fahrenheit 451. etc.

They call the Browns Stadium the "Factory of Sadness".....but lets give a new moniker to the entire organization....especially the front office: I come up with "The Dysphoric Empire"

Here listed are the architects of that Empire. By year, these are the people that have been running this inept show...since 1999. Each year I will list the Owner/Team President/GM/HC:

Year...Owner................Team President............General Manager.....Head Coach

1999...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Chris Palmer

2000...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Chris Palmer

2001...Al Lerner..........Carmen Policy..............Dwight Clark..............Butch Davis

2002...Al/Randy Lerner..Carmen Policy...........Dwight Clark..............Butch Davis

2003...Randy Lerner....Carmen Policy.............Butch Davis...............Butch Davis

2004...Randy Lerner....John Collins.................Butch Davis/ vacant..Butch Davis/Terry Robiskie

2005...Randy Lerner....John Collins.................Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2006...Randy Lerner....Randy Lerner...............Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2007...Randy Lerner....Randy Lerner...............Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2008...Randy Lerner....Mike Keenan................Phil Savage...............Romeo Crennell

2009...Randy Lerner....Mike Keenan................George Kokinis..........Eric Mangini

2010...Randy Lerner....Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Eric Mangini

2011...Randy Lerner....Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Pat Shurmur

2012...Lerner/Haslam...Mike Holmgren.............Tom Heckert...............Pat Shurmur

2013...Jimmy Haslam...Joe Banner..................Mike Lombardi............Rob Chudzinski

2014..Jimmy Haslam....Alec Scheiner..............Ray Farmer................Mike Pettine

2015...Jimmy Haslam...Alec Scheiner..............Ray Farmer................Mike Pettine

ugly, very very ugly...

and some board memebers complain about continuity. Would you want continuity with any of these gems. Chris carter on mike and mike today. Multiple problems exist. First of all they stink. Why he said. He answers lack of talent, poor coaching. gm's are a disaster. To me this all points to the owner. golic in response says yes lack of talent. He says, "do you see any of these players, coaches, etc that go to other teams flourish?". They all shook their heads no. There is the proof. You can have continuity if the participants know what they are doing and are going in the right direction, but we have participants that have no clue whatsoever. Good analogy is matt millen. Look what he did with the lions. He firmly admits, he did not know what he was doing. We have had many matt millens and still have them today....

and some board memebers complain about continuity. Would you want continuity with any of these gems. Chris carter on mike and mike today. Multiple problems exist. First of all they stink. Why he said. He answers lack of talent, poor coaching. gm's are a disaster. To me this all points to the owner. golic in response says yes lack of talent. He says, "do you see any of these players, coaches, etc that go to other teams flourish?". They all shook their heads no. There is the proof. You can have continuity if the participants know what they are doing and are going in the right direction, but we have participants that have no clue whatsoever. Good analogy is matt millen. Look what he did with the lions. He firmly admits, he did not know what he was doing. We have had many matt millens and still have them today....

Except I still think that a lot of talent is here. Yes, they are missing good players at some key positions. But spot by spot, position by position, they have talent.

They have missed on 1st rounders, clearly. But, with the right GM/HC,,,and a few new good players (a real QB)...this team could contend.

It really just has been bad management....not the personell.

Let's look closer at what each GM brought to this Dysphoric Empire. I will list who they chose in the critical first 3 rounds of the draft (though, yes, I understand that a GM can make or break his career in the later rounds.....but we will just look at these...but at the end perhaps give some notable lower round picks.

Dwight Clark
1999: Couch, Kevin Johnson, Raheem Abdullah, Daylon McCutcheon

2000: Courtney Brown, Travice Prentice, Dennis Northcutt, JaJuan Dawson

2001: Gerard Warren, Quincy Morgan, James Jackson

2002: William Green, Andre Davis, Melvin Fowler

Lower picks OK: Anthony Henry

Butch Davis:

2003: Jeff Faine, Chaun Thompson, Chris Crocker

2004: Kellen Winslow II, Sean Jones

Phil Savage:

2005: Braylon Edwards, Brodney Pool, Charlie Frye

2006: Kameron Wimbley, DQwell Jackson, Travis Wilson

2007: Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn, Erick Wright

2008: traded away all picks in 1st 3 rounds

Lower picks OK: Ahtyba Rubin

George Kokins:

2009: Alex Mack, Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi, David Veikune

Tom Heckert:

2010: Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Monterio Hardesty, Colt McCoy, Shawn Lauvao

2011: Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard, Greg Little

2012: Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden, Mitchell Schwartz, John Hughes

Lower picks OK: Buster Skrine, Jordan Cameron.

Mike Lombardi:

2013: Barkevious Mingo, Leon McFadden

Ray Farmer:

2014: Justin Gilbert, John P. Manziel, Joel Bitonio, Christian Kirksey, Terrence West

2015: Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving, Nate Orchard, Duke Johnson, Xavier Cooper.

So....give your grades/assessments of how each of these GMs did.

Who signed Cribbs?

Josh Gordon?

I think Farmer has done okay. He's broadly gone for solid players, might have been pushed in for Manziel. Before him a lot of busts and players that came highly rated that went bust. I still think the Farmer-Pettine era needs another season unless someone irresistible comes along.

Great work Gip..Clearly to me if Heckert & Mangini had more than 1 year together & the Shurmur years never happened there was talent their to gell with a Mangini over Shurmur coached team. Cannot give A's on passing talent but Heckert B-. Savage C. (only 2 I liked) Rest our fails with Farmer C- incomplete & question coaching with some of the best QB play since 99 but with JM & Gilbert building their own doghouses guess Farmer goes to a D-. Good scouting has a Big F-

Even before this season started the Houston Chronicle had Ray rated dead last in the NFL. Sporting News wasn't much better either. In fact just about anyone ranking GM's has him that far down as well.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2015/09/ranking-the-nfls-general-managers/#photo-692031

Archived