THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim O'Neil

stillmotion

The Cleveland defense has not held an opponent under 30 points since Week 7.

In four games since Week 7, Cleveland has allowed 32.0 points and 414.3 total yards per game while going 0-4. The Browns have also recorded just four sacks in that span and haven’t been close to the fantasy radar all season. Week 13 will be no different, when the Browns host the Cincinnati Bengals, who are fourth among NFL offenses in scoring at 27.0 points per game.
VIA ROTOWORLD
Coordinator Jim O'Neil says there is no major scheme issue with the Cleveland Browns' defense

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns rank at or near the bottom of the NFL in points, passing yards, rushing yards and total yards allowed, and the coaching staff used the bye-week break to evaluate the performance of the defense.

However, according to defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil, the coaches discovered that "there wasn't one major schematic thing that jumped out" in the evaluation of the film.

"It was we were in this defense, we got hit for a long one; we were in this defense, we got hit for a long one; we were in this personnel group, we got hit for a long one," O'Neil said. "You wish it was you go back and every time we called Under Cover Four, they're averaging eight yards a play and we gave up 12 explosive plays on it, so that's easy, that's out. That wasn't the case.

"The one thing that we did find was most of our mistakes came when we might have had a breakdown in communication. What we're really trying to emphasize with our guys is we have to communicate at every level of the defense. Most of that falls on our safeties and our inside backers. It starts with the safeties, then goes to the inside backers and the inside backers have to get it to the front. That was the first thing that we discovered that we need to get better at.

"When our guys are out there and they're communicating and we're executing as a defense and I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times. We're just trying to build on that, keep executing, keep playing together, keep playing good team defense, trust that the plays are going to come to you, you don't have to break structure to make plays. I like how the guys have come back after the bye."

Although O'Neil said there was not one schematic area that stood out to the Browns' coaches, he did acknowledge that "a bunch of things" need to be improved in order for the team to turn around their fortunes and make the most of the last five games of the season.

"Start with me," O'Neil said. "Things I could do better in specific situations to help the guys make plays, some scheme things that maybe we thought were good that maybe weren't as good as we thought just going back looking at the win-losses throughout the first 10 games of the year. Just some guys that maybe were better suited in different roles than maybe what we were playing them in.

"We learned a lot about ourselves throughout the course of the bye. It's always good to step back when you're not in a mode where you have to work at warp speed and figure it out because you have an opponent coming up. It was good.

"Our goal hasn't changed on defense. We want to play dominant defense. It was good over the bye to go back and study ourselves, what we're doing well, what we're not doing well, what we can do better, what we have to do better, but the mentality in the room hasn't changed."

http://www.wkyc.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2015/12/05/jim-oneil-says-there-is-no-major-scheme-issue-on-d/76831226/

I can't take it anymore. Pettine please fire your boy. He's way in over his head..... Will Jim O'Neil be our D-Coordinator next year???? Does anyone agree with what he said?

"I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times"

That's the real question.....

Dude makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells.

Stillmo, you completely plucked that one part out of context.

The "When..." way back at the beginning of Jim's monster, run-on sentence covered your excerpt as well. So read this again:

"When our guys are out there and they're communicating and we're executing as a defense and I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times."

The breakdown is:

When our guys are out there and

When they're communicating and

When we're executing as a defense and

When I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays...

THEN we've played really well at times.

It's inarticulate as hell. You'd hope the percentages behind the 1st condition is damn close to 100%. You can forget the 3rd "condition" as it is axiomatic. So boil it down and clean it up a little and basically he is saying:

"When our defense is communicating and I have made the right call, we've played well."

The main issue I would have with this would arise if the defensive communicators on the field are not empowered to change defenses. One of our recent OCs, Turner I think, did not allow audibles... which is fucking stupid if your QB is worth a damn. Same goes for the D.

The main problem I do have with what was said is how it was said. It is representative of many of O'Neil's public statements. If he expresses himself as badly in the meeting room(s) as he does in his weekly presser, then the communication issues of which he speaks start with him.

As for the rest... how much more blame do you want him to take than he does when he says:

"Start with me," O'Neil said (after) he did acknowledge that "a bunch of things" need to be improved in order for the team to turn around their fortunes and make the most of the last five games of the season.

Stillmo, you completely plucked that one part out of context.

The "When..." way back at the beginning of Jim's monster, run-on sentence covered your excerpt as well. So read this again:

"When our guys are out there and they're communicating and we're executing as a defense and I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times."

The breakdown is:

When our guys are out there and

When they're communicating and

When we're executing as a defense and

When I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays...

THEN we've played really well at times.

It's inarticulate as hell. You'd hope the percentages behind the 1st condition is damn close to 100%. You can forget the 3rd "condition" as it is axiomatic. So boil it down and clean it up a little and basically he is saying:

"When our defense is communicating and I have made the right call, we've played well."

The main issue I would have with this would arise if the defensive communicators on the field are not empowered to change defenses. One of our recent OCs, Turner I think, did not allow audibles... which is fucking stupid if your QB is worth a damn. Same goes for the D.

The main problem I do have with what was said is how it was said. It is representative of many of O'Neil's public statements. If he expresses himself as badly in the meeting room(s) as he does in his weekly presser, then the communication issues of which he speaks start with him.

As for the rest... how much more blame do you want him to take than he does when he says:

"Start with me," O'Neil said (after) he did acknowledge that "a bunch of things" need to be improved in order for the team to turn around their fortunes and make the most of the last five games of the season.

My bad, I realized shortly after I posted that I took what he said out of context, and I apoligize for that, but he didn't use the correct wording himself.

I just think we should fire him. I think he has nothing left to say and his defense should do the talking.

Has he done a good job putting them in a position to make plays when they're executing on defense and communicating? Or is that just bullshit?

I do applaud O'Neil for saying "Start with Me". Hopefully he can "Try Harder" for a couple more years and we'll be the second or third to last defense instead of the last by then.

so, when Oneil says "not communicating"...

I think that's a farce of a defense when it's so complicated

that this late in the season, it's still a major problem.

So, how many years will it take for the players to get

all the communications right?

Seriously?

And as a coach, how many times is he NOT putting them into a postion to make plays?

Maybe, that's frustrating the players to the max?

The Cleveland defense has not held an opponent under 30 points since Week 7.

In four games since Week 7, Cleveland has allowed 32.0 points and 414.3 total yards per game while going 0-4. The Browns have also recorded just four sacks in that span and haven’t been close to the fantasy radar all season. Week 13 will be no different, when the Browns host the Cincinnati Bengals, who are fourth among NFL offenses in scoring at 27.0 points per game.
VIA ROTOWORLD
Coordinator Jim O'Neil says there is no major scheme issue with the Cleveland Browns' defense

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns rank at or near the bottom of the NFL in points, passing yards, rushing yards and total yards allowed, and the coaching staff used the bye-week break to evaluate the performance of the defense.

However, according to defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil, the coaches discovered that "there wasn't one major schematic thing that jumped out" in the evaluation of the film.

"I'm doing a good job putting them in a position to make plays, we've played really well at times"

That's the real question.....

Dude makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells.

Thanks for the article. IMO, nobody makes Rob Ryan look like Bill Parcells but I can see a resemblance to Captain Kangaroo. Ryan was going to cut his hair the first time his prevent defense prevented losing to explain the only slight difference.

My guess is Jim O'Neil is only a symptom of Mike Pettine wanting HIS defense, which means it's Rex Ryan's defense plus retired high school football coach Mike Pettine Sr's wrinkles and gray hairs. Bringing in an experienced DC takes Mike Pettine Jr out of the comfort zone of the only defense he has been affiliated with the length of his career minus guys like Revis, Cromartie, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and T. Suggs. So where are we now? Gagging on the outcomes summarized by countless defensive stats/categories mentioned in the article. Nobody has improved from 2014 to 2015 as we count 2 wins in our last 16 games.

Not to worry though - our running game has cozied up to ranking 31st overall while our pass protection stopped allowing our 36 year old to survive starts in that wonderful POCKET no QB should ever dare to leave ever again. Thanks for the advice Marvin Lewis - our Head Coach agreed with you. We might have to pull Canton Mike out of the stands to play QB today when Austin gets killed while they need 1 more golden opportunity to remind Cleveland fans Manziel still needs to be punished. How grown up of our braintrust to DRAFT kids they can't wait to punish in lieu of scouting character and inner chest to draft people that can make this team better. THIS brain trust took 2 first round picks in 2014 and flushed them down the toilet; and now they're hoping their survival here can be the distraction one of them has continued to cause them. LOVE that! Yep, it's all the guy's fault that should have never been here in the first place.

Cam Erving looked more like Raggedy Ann than a first round talent. While I think Danny Shelton has potential, he's going to need a staff that can bring his pad height down to a competitive level. Right now, they're sprinting him on and off the field every other play so before he surrenders his legs/base again to coming out of stance to high - he's gassed from the 40 yard sprint from the sideline to defending in the red zone. Meder looks like he came from good coaching prior so they haven't totally de-programmed his promise just yet. Stay tuned though...

I didn't think I'd ever see a more nauseating defense here than Bob Slowik's until this one. I keep hearing/reading we need continuity while I'm watching a staff that has lost this team. Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge are going to be FAs next year. When one of them says he'll stay if we have the RIGHT staff, think of why he felt compelled to say such a thing. If we had the right staff he would have never said it.

Speaking of this continuity for keeping coaches - did anyone notice Baltimore beating us on Special teams exactly like they did last year? They blocked a FG late in the game again right? Gee, why would history matter here? Would that late FG attempt have mattered if we didn't already surrender a punt return for a TD earlier in the game? Watch the replay of that discipline that unfolded - the only thing missing was Larry the Cable Guy narrating it. I've never seen our return game flagged more than the last 3 years (since he was the 1 coach we kept from Chud's staff for the sake of continuity). We're real good at blocking in the back since we're rarely in position to make anything but ill-advised blocks. Consequently, we start way too many drives pinned deeper because of a penalty.

When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

While Im not convinced our D plan is horrible, I AM convinced our guys either dont "get it" or dont have the skills/talent to execute it properly. Lets be honest, its not as if ONeill is out there calling every play or telling these guys what to do.....they make a lot o assessments and adjustments themselves, based upon Oneill and Pettines philosophy and what they see when they line up.....so maybe Dansby isnt making the right calls....or players are miss-understanding their responsibility in certain situations....not really sure..

I do know none of this was an issue last season and we are running the same defense.....so for NO ONE to have issues with Oneill or the system last year, and then suddenly everyone does???.....doesnt make sense to me....

None the less, I think there are 2 things at play here......1) the system seems complex and the players seem to not get it.......2) and many of the players just aren't playing well......and you only have to watch them to see that.....

Ive asked repeatedly for "someone" to tell "what" is wrong with the system, but the only answer Im getting is the D sucks, therefore the coaching sucks.....(not a good answer).......so Im still waiting for ONE person to actually show me what the coaches are doing wrong or have done wrong....because Ive shown,over and over, how the LB's have completely failed(yet, no one wants to accept that, even though its on tape and very obvious).....and explained how the damaged DB's have not been up to par, which in turn, has drastically diminished our pass rush and ability to defend....

So....while I think it's really on the players, I also think the coaches should see this and, basically, dumb down the defense. You hate to say that, because you would hope you had good enough players......but if its too complicated or the players cant do it...then you have to adjust and make it easy for them......

I see the same issue is now happening in Buffalo.....their players are crying that Rexys Defense is too complex and that the pass rushers have to cover....HAHAHAHAHA........where have we heard THAT????....so, it seems this D is a bit much for some players to handle......(unless they are in NY, I guess).....here's a few blurbs from a recent article....

Mario Williams sounded off on his frustration with Rex Ryan's defense. "We're still doing the same thing," Williams told Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News this week, ahead of Sunday's critical showdown with the surging Texans.

0ap3000000587588.jpg

The core complaint from Williams centers around a scheme that asks its pass rushers to frequently drop into coverage, leaving less opportunity to wreck the quarterback. He has a point after watching the Bills drop from a franchise-record 57 sacks in 2013 -- and a league-leading 54 last season -- to just 13 all year by their defensive linemen in 2015.

Williams admitted that he's still catching up to Ryan's complex playbook.

"It makes us switch up certain things that we do," Williams said Friday. "Now, we might have to do this, we might have to go that way and might not be in the same, as comfortable a position as we've been in previous years. But other than that, I don't think it makes it difficult. It's just a different look. It's a different feel for us."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000594427/article/mario-williams-says-hes-still-learning-bills-defense

So.....there it is.....exact same complaints from their players as we are hearing here......and to me, that means maybe the system is beyond what "average" players can execute.....so, it looks good on paper, but not so much in real life.....

So.....time to create "defense for dummies"......or get better talent........or both

Did I dumb that down enough?

Do you think losing CBs has an effect on team play? My answer is yes! put a J ang K back there and my bet is that things look much better...and I mean healthy Joe

Of course it makes a difference.....a HUGE one too......

Look at last years sacks and interceptions alone.....last year, all those turnovers really helped the team, but this year they are non existent....and, when your DB's cover well, then opposing QB's cant find receivers and then the D line and LB's have all day to get to the QB, which results in more sacks and more turnovers....

But this year.....with all the injuries and poor play from the DB's, opposing QB's have been able to find receivers more quickly, which has severely diminished our pass rush...and pretty much represents a break down of the ONE area our D was strong....

Gipson has not been the same, since returning from surgery(plus he's had addl injuries to deal with).....and Haden pretty has a lost season......so remove your 2 best DB's and what do you get?....hatred for Jim Oneill....

I watched the 64 Champs with my dad and his friends. Even with Dr Frank and Jim Brown tearing the dolts D a new one, my strongest memory is the guys hooting up our D. Unitas couldn't buy a point and got skunked 27 - 0. This teams fans has a huge cadre that love their Browns D. I do understand the frustration but feel we gotta do it different this time or it's just back to a quicksand D

So whats the over/under for Krugers tackles today....1.5...?

I say this week he equals his best game of the season and records a whopping 3 tackles.......and almost a sack.....

Not to be outdown, Mingo steps up and actually touches a call carrier.....it's gonna get crazy!!!!!!

Of course it makes a difference.....a HUGE one too......

Look at last years sacks and interceptions alone.....last year, all those turnovers really helped the team, but this year they are non existent....and, when your DB's cover well, then opposing QB's cant find receivers and then the D line and LB's have all day to get to the QB, which results in more sacks and more turnovers....

But this year.....with all the injuries and poor play from the DB's, opposing QB's have been able to find receivers more quickly, which has severely diminished our pass rush...and pretty much represents a break down of the ONE area our D was strong....

Gipson has not been the same, since returning from surgery(plus he's had addl injuries to deal with).....and Haden pretty has a lost season......so remove your 2 best DB's and what do you get?....hatred for Jim Oneill....

The good news is we only lost to Cincy 37-3.

This is where I'm coming from. What happens to a scheme when there is no Revis and Cromartie shutting everything out? To quote those that always say this - what kind of scheme is good if it can't adapt to the personnel at hand? O'Neil is just an inevitable scapegoat/symptom of an unrealistic plan today.

I don't blame O'Neil for the schemes Mike Pettine kept from Rex Ryan. O'Neil is not experienced enough to be a DC with nice alternatives. Like Pettine, this is the only defense he's ever been a part of - which has yet to duplicate what was once accomplished with young versions of Revis and Cromartie in NY. When Pettine was Buffalo's DC - that was the only defense incapable of getting Weeden to self destruct.

IMO Pettine is closing off his opportunity to grow in this league if all he ever wants to be a part of is 1 scheme rather than bringing in an experienced DC that could teach him new things, vary up fronts and expose him to an ability to have alternatives rather than excuses like Joe Haden is injured so game over folks. We weren't really witnessing the best of Joe Haden before he got injured this year when we get right down to it.

My concern is the brain trust we're relying on moving forward is counting on a scheme that needs a corner tandem like the version of Revis and Cromartie without any wear and tear on it. Seems to me, Pettine and his staff had a lot of input on the draft choices all the way down to what shook out at the top of round 1 in the 2014 and what our first pick ended up being in that draft. Now when I see our staff giving up on this corner we just had to have with a new plan to train an undrafted Safety Johnson Bademosi to play corner covering people on the perimeter - color me nervous about the brain trust and their ability to develop young players.

We're not 2-15 in our last 17 games by accident.

I sincerely wish our only problem was Jimmy O'Neil. We had another time management clinic right before the end of the first half as if we learned what from Monday Night specifically? Didn't we have another FG blocked too? Maybe only our opponents watch film and practice situational football.

Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

Mud, good post but here's what I'd say broadly speaking. If the system is really some complicated system the players aren't getting, sitting on your hands and doing nothing is on the coaches. We've seen these guys play at least at a competitive level. It's way too much of a coincidence that ALL of these guys have regressed that badly to literally be an embarrassment to even be on the field?

I don't have hard evidence, but I think the whole scheme just puts players in the wrong positions to make plays in the first place. On so many runs plays the hole is just incredible. Again, are the players really that bad or does the whole scheme put them in the wrong place? There's a lot of above average players (Williams x2, Dansby, Gipson, Whitner Haden before the injury) playing awful football that I just can't see not being on the coach in a major way. These coaches are trying to round pegs in square holes IMO to the huge detriment of the team.

Right...Jim was terrible today.....missing tackles, not covering his receivers, getting pushed all over the place at the line......it was ugly...

Flip was just as bad....didnt score, gave up sacks, couldnt block a lick.....just turrble.....

I get the lynch mob is ready and Im not getting in the way....go ahead and fire em all......but dont get all yakked up when a lot of these same guys still suck with the new coach....

Maybe coming to the crossroads that the challenge here was much bigger than a Rookie Head Coach with Rookie Coordinators.

Flip's offense has scored 10 points or less in 5 games so far this season.

He's certainly not blameless either.

he had hartline and a practice squad WR while bowe and pryor were inactive. Also had crowell whos averaging like 2 YPC running it, dipshit erving blocking, and a QB we picked up a few weeks ago Starting.

What do you expect out of him? I like Pettine and Farmer's "whoever practices the hardest and does what we say will play" method. Maybe it works in high school, but we paid Bowe 9 million to sit on the sidelines while we let Marlon Moore and Darius Jennings run wild?

he had hartline and a practice squad WR while bowe and pryor were inactive. Also had crowell whos averaging like 2 YPC running it, dipshit erving blocking, and a QB we picked up a few weeks ago Starting.

What do you expect out of him? I like Pettine and Farmer's "whoever practices the hardest and does what we say will play" method. Maybe it works in high school, but we paid Bowe 9 million to sit on the sidelines while we let Marlon Moore and Darius Jennings run wild?

That's all well & good, but at the end of the day the Browns are ranked 30th in total defense and 26th in total offense.

I don't care how you polish that turd, it's still a turd.

When I think of the Ryan Brothers and Mike Pettine - I think of guys that need their daddy and a defense disappointing fans in Buffalo and Cleveland. Continuity? Why ask for more when we can rank last in so many categories? F--- that, we deserve way better than this skipping record. This is worse than 1999 folks so investigate this continuity a little deeper than contentment with being the laughing stock of the league. This is the most loyal fan base on the planet; BUT that doesn't make anyone a bad fan or less loyal for wanting more competitive football in return for all their time and devotion invested. I'd like to be a little further along than 1999 some 16 years later - why shouldn't I?

We have more talent than 1999, and are playing even worse, if that's possible.

So are you saying fire Farmer? Pettine is even more clueless than old Pat Shur-loss when it comes to clock management.

I'm getting pretty close to the Nuke it all strategy.

Archived