THE BROWNS BOARD

Why / How did you become a Browns fan ?

BrownsfaninPa

I began collecting football cards in the late 1970's. Not really knowing much about the game, but I did know who the teams were. I decided to choose the Browns only because of their team colors.I always liked the color brown ever since I was very young. The color brown was dull and ugly to others, but I saw it s a bold, color. The color brown was a different color than all the other teams, and that orange plain helmet was also different. I ddint know anything about the history until I read and learned how great this team once was back in the 40's and 50's. To know the Browns had the all-time rushing leader named Jim Brown, and players such as Otto Graham, Marion Motley, and Donte Levelli. These were names in NFL archives. Then the 70's came along with players like Brian Sipe, Greg Pruitt, . The 80's came along with players like Clay Matthews, Ozzie Newsome, and Bernie Kosar, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner.

Those were good times, but then the 90's came along, and then it was over, the team was on a losing streak, Ozzie retired, Bernie was sent away, Clay Matthews moved on too. Then the ultimate heartbreak, the team left Cleveland. Fortunetly, the NFL ruled that the Browns team will return with a new stadium, a new team and were allowed to keep the team colors and franchise NFL records.

But not all was good. Rookie Tim Couch struggled , Kevin Johnson was a breath of fresh air, but that too went bad. And it hasn't been good since 2002. I cheer this team every year, hoping that something good to celebrate, but as usual, another heartbreak season. I don't talk to my co-workers as being a Browns fan, they don't win, and its the same thing year after year. Iam still a Browns fan deep down, but I don't bragg about it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am from UK originally lived in USA since 2005 .....when American football was first shown on TV in UK I loved the Kosar, Mack, Byner team that was around then ....been a fan ever since.....

Kosar, Mack, Byner were in the 80s, not 2005. Did you mean 1985?

What I meant was I moved here in 2005 but been a fan since it was first shown in uk in the 80s .......

Family is from Ohio, and as a boy, I loved the team that my father rooted for. It sickens him to even discuss the Browns now, and he doesn't understand how a team could be so inept for so long.

I was about 10 years old or so during the good Kosar years, and some of Vinny's. I can remember picking up the newspaper on Monday morning and hoping to find a small paragraph written about the previous Browns game, hoping for anything that could get me by to the next week. Some of the happiest times I can remember was when my dad would take me to a family sports bar on Sunday afternoon and we'd sit with the Browns backers and bark at the screen. It was probably the last thing he wanted to do on a Sunday after working his ass off all week, but he would do it almost every Sunday. Back then, there was no guide or "on demand" listings. The bar had about a million channels they would look through in hopes of seeing the orange helmets. I can still remember a run by Metcalf at the end of the Raiders game that won it just about as time expired.

Many people will say it's just a game, and they'd be right to a large extent. The thing is, so many of us tie the Browns to strong family bonds and good times. People that may not be with us anymore, or friends that have gone their own way. The Browns mean something to us, and that's why some of us lose our collective minds when we perpetually see a product that isn't even close to respectability. Rooting for a team was passed down to us by people we loved, and we went to the games with them, talked incessantly about the team with them, and no matter what differences you had with your family...you could still talk about the Browns.

There is a generation of Browns fans that know nothing but losing. Hell, I'm almost one of them. Our fans are loyal, fierce, and dying for a winner. It makes me sad to be the butt of jokes around the league, and sadder still knowing that next year probably won't be much better. That being said, we all remember the tough years the Bengals went through, and they didn't seem like they'd ever get out of the cellar. We'll get there eventually, just like they did.

When the great betrayal of 96 arrived I started following the Browns from their return in 99. Didn't really follow one team before then, but was edging towards the Bills. The 96-99 period was the reason for me- a great club betrayed by its owner. Still makes by blood boil! ?

Something I find myself asking more and more... Why, oh why, did I become a Browns fan?

Hunky dory.

Best Bowie album ever...

David_Bowie_-_Hunky_Dory.jpg

Dad has always been a Browns fan. I didn't really get full blown into football until about 2008 and I remember my dad liking the Browns and watching them, I remember loving the plain uniforms and helmets. And I've always been a fan of the underdog

Been a Browns fan since the early 70s, encouraged by my dad and grandfather. I moved away from Cleveland at a relatively young age, but followed the Browns thru the Sipe & Kosar eras and have become a die hard fan ever since. I thought losing the team in 1995 and sucking ever since would have been the end for me especially since I no longer live in the area, but I have become obsessed with seeing them turn things around. I may be old, wrinkly and grey before that ever happens. Crap...I just looked in the mirror.

Born and raised in Cleveland so I'm a Cleveland fan everything (Browns, Cavs, Indians)

I grew up watching all of the Cleveland sports and such.

Grew up in Cleveland move away in the '70s. Browns, Cavs, Indians not so much. Not much of a baseball fan.

How did I become a Browns fan? I grew up when they were big winners.

Raise your hands.....how many of you are old enough to remember the last Browns championship in 1964.

I am one. Who else?

You know I am Gip. My football memory goes all the way back to "the Greatest Game ever Played" the 1958 NFL Championship. The whole family loved the Browns- and I can happily say I had the opportunity to see Jim Brown play in person many times.

One of the reasons I probably don't care for baseball much is the 1960s Indians were as big a train wreck as the post 1999 Browns. They almost moved- and frankly, very few people at the time would have cared.

Monday Night Football, October 14, 2008 when the Browns beat the undefeated Super Bowl Giants 35-14.

That game was fantastic! Eric Wright with the 100 yd pick 6 to seal the win... Hard to believe you stayed with it after seeing the rest of that season..

My Dad grew up in Solon Ohio and I still have relatives in the Marion/Columbus area. Passed on the curse to me..

Born and Raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Browns season tickets till we moved to California in 1982. Stayed a Browns fan ever since...like the indians, just don't follow them as much. As long as there's a Browns team in Cleveland, I will be a NFL Sunday ticket subscriber and plan my Sundays around Browns football.

When I was 17 I took a bus trip to Ohio to see my first ever girlfriend who had moved there the previous summer. She dumped me after the visit so I thought to myself, "Some day I'll get you back!" So when JM asked to get drafted I figured now is my chance! So I've been here ever since. :D

PS-She now lives in Dallas. How ironic is that! :o

Archived