THE BROWNS BOARD

First Draft Pick Must be a QB - Paxton

MedinaDawg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exactly to be fair the last 1st round qb we have gotten is weeden, quinn and manziel

Audi A8's and Teslas are nice, but they don't win NASCAR. the more shots on goal, the more chances to score. the Browns may be on their 25th or 26th QB since '99...but in all that time only one was a #1 overall...and Tim at least took them to the playoffs. our record of 1st overalls that weren't a franchise QB isn't even 0-1. more like 0.5 - 1. the record on non first overall QBs being a franchise guy are about 0 - 25. we gotta hedge our bets this time, do all we can to find the guy. we did the diamond in the rough searches with the likes of Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy etc. second rate is, well, second rate. time to suck it up and go for it again. everything to gain, nothing to lose from my view. playoff births and potential Super Ball appearances vs perpetual 2 - 14, 3 -13, 4 - 12 seasons...no brainer to me.

What's up, Frisky?

if it's Johnny so be it it's Johnny. and if that's the case spending a #1 on a QB just to back him up and get groomed for the (potential) future won't even hurt.

You realize that if we draft a Senior QB, that he'll be the same age as JM?

If it's JM, it's JM... if it's not, then pray there's a worthy #1 QB on our board.

We drafted a first round QB last year; he's played 5 games; people want to draft another because he's not yet perfect?

Give me a break.

At *best* a guy like Lynch is a project. Given how many teams are going to be drafting a QB - two, us and SF - I think we can hold fire and get him later. There's absolutely no need to jizz all over our draft because a guy is 6'7"

Weeden played 23 games and started 20 games for us in his 2 years.

Manziel is going to gave played 15 games and started 9 games by the end of the year in his 2 years with us.

In 2 years weeden sucked but had some good games.

In 2 years manziel has sucked but had a good game so far. Has been to rehab, openly admitted to not taking his rookie year seriously, been benched for team discipline, has been a constant source of distraction in the organization, has been proven to be dishonest.

Unless he develops the abilty to fly and scores us 5 rushing touchdowns and 15 passing touchdowns in the next few games i don't really give a shit it's time to move on. And as a browns fan you should be happy that we get another chance at a franchise qb that actually garners some respect instead of mockery.

Manziel is going to gave played 15 games and started 9 games by the end of the year in his 2 years with us.

In 2 years manziel has sucked but had a good game so far. Has been to rehab, openly admitted to not taking his rookie year seriously, been benched for team discipline, has been a constant source of distraction in the organization, has been proven to be dishonest.

Unless he develops the abilty to fly and scores us 5 rushing touchdowns and 15 passing touchdowns in the next few games i don't really give a shit it's time to move on. And as a browns fan you should be happy that we get another chance at a franchise qb that actually garners some respect instead of mockery.

Oh, I'm sorry.

For a second I thought you had a point.

How many good games? One? Two? Buffalo he pulled out a win, assisted by a couple of D/ST touchdowns. Aside from that, he completed about 55% of his passes, and threw more picks than TDs (~70 QBR)

Manziel has had ups and downs, but this year, he's at 61%, 6TDs to 3 INTs (~89 QBR). Plus 2 wins from 4 starts to boot. I'm not saying he's definitely the guy, but let's maybe give him more than 6 games to figure it out before calling him a bust?

As a browns fan, I'm pissed off that we're picking near the top of the draft. To proclaim yourself happy at such a low win total garners yourself nothing but mockery.

As a browns fan, I'm hoping to see a solid running game to take a little pressure off of our QB, I'm hoping to see a defense that means we don't have to score 30+ to win a game, and I'm hoping to see a competitive team.

We drafted a first round QB last year; he's played 5 games; people want to draft another because he's not yet perfect?

Give me a break.

At *best* a guy like Lynch is a project. Given how many teams are going to be drafting a QB - two, us and SF - I think we can hold fire and get him later. There's absolutely no need to jizz all over our draft because a guy is 6'7"

I think any draft talk is premature at this point anyways. Johnny has 3 games left (if he hopefully stays healthy on the field and doesn't get stupid off of it) this year against 3 teams playing for the playoffs, 2 of them are in the top 5 toughest places to play in Seattle and KC. My hope for these last 3 is that he plays well in each of them (regardless of outcome) but looks like an NFL QB and puts some points on the board in each game and we play each team tough till the end. If that happens, I don't see us taking a QB next year in the early round which would be better for the team in the long run anyways.

Browns RB from Alabama-Richardson -Check

Browns Heisman Winner - Manziel -Check

Browns will not draft Heisman RB from Alabama -Check

Browns too gunshy?? -Check

:lol:

No....not necessarily........but they would not do at until round 2 if they do consider him.

I expect 2-3 other RBs to grade out better than he. Eliot, Fournette at least.

How many good games? One? Two? Buffalo he pulled out a win, assisted by a couple of D/ST touchdowns. Aside from that, he completed about 55% of his passes, and threw more picks than TDs (~70 QBR)

Manziel has had ups and downs, but this year, he's at 61%, 6TDs to 3 INTs (~89 QBR). Plus 2 wins from 4 starts to boot. I'm not saying he's definitely the guy, but let's maybe give him more than 6 games to figure it out before calling him a bust?

As a browns fan, I'm pissed off that we're picking near the top of the draft. To proclaim yourself happy at such a low win total garners yourself nothing but mockery.

As a browns fan, I'm hoping to see a solid running game to take a little pressure off of our QB, I'm hoping to see a defense that means we don't have to score 30+ to win a game, and I'm hoping to see a competitive team.

1st point nobody complained when him an josh gordon lit it up for a record. Weeden's problem was always his decision making skills and the fact his ball was always the fastball no touch.(except the weeden flip lol too much touch) I see the same problematic decision making skills and less arm talent in manziel.

2nd point at the end of this year he has had 32 games on this team to prove he is the starter 40 if you count preseason (which you should when you are EVALUATING TALENT) Face the facts he couldn't beat out mccown until mccown was injured he barely beats austin davis. take away the titans game and he has a 68.1 QBR. regarding his first season he just doesn't get a pass because he decided to screw off that 16 games owed to the browns in my opinion and he hasn't delivered this season. it may take him 3,4 maybe even 5 years to get his mind right and play football but lets break that down a little more lets says it take him 3 years that means not only this season but next season you are willing to give up just for him to mature....that is not acceptable at all...

I wanted manziel to be the guy. I wanted him to be the face of the franchise but frankly we as browns fans deserve better than the effort he has put forth and if he is giving 110% effort that is even worse. End of the day unless he lights it up crazy against 3 playoff caliber teams he doesn't deserve another opportunity.

3rd point. no I'm not happy but we can look ahead at the silver lining and see the advantages of a losing season just ask the colts about that 2011 season. our running game improved immensely after we simplified our offense especially when we ran more power. zone is for weak lines and High Vision/Smart RB. power is for strong lines and Unintelligent/Low Vision RB. Our defense looked fine Sunday mostly due to how bad the 49ers were but we also ran less complex reaction plays and more designed plays less audibles and more playing. Simpleness is quick and efficient and has less error and quick reactions. complexity is cumbersome and bulky and slower. Not to say a defense cant operate without both. but complex wild plays are seldom used and designed to surprise your opponent. we built our defense off of it and have looked a step slower all year. and tackling fundamentals apparently isn't taught anymore.

No....not necessarily........but they would not do at until round 2 if they do consider him.

I expect 2-3 other RBs to grade out better than he. Eliot, Fournette at least.

If Fornette were coming out, which he is not, then I would agree. Fornette is a Soph.

His clone and spiritual successor, Ryan Mallet, was just picked up by the Ravens.

Apparently, Mallett has "dealt" with his personal demons since he was released by HOU. I'm not entirely sure how you stop being an entitled douchenozzle in 6 weeks, but millions of dollars have a fun way of changing one's perspective.

Why stop at one mediocre ex-Texans QB when you can have two?

Apparently, Mallett has "dealt" with his personal demons since he was released by HOU. I'm not entirely sure how you stop being an entitled douchenozzle in 6 weeks, but millions of dollars have a fun way of changing one's perspective.

Why stop at one mediocre ex-Texans QB when you can have two?

Didn't the Ratbirds once have TJ Yates as well?

I think what may have changed Mallet's perspective is the LOSS of any income from playing football.

Face it.....if the Pats had not had Tom Brady, there QBs over the years could have been the likes of Cassell, Hoyer, Mallet, Damon Huard, even Flutie...and even Testaverde.

They may not have been quite the dynasty they have been....and Belichick would certainly not be given any genius label.

i have a few issues w that article. first of all, unless Farmer gets canned and Flash Gordon implodes again, the Browns aren't taking a WR in the first round. if the writer didn't know this about the Browns,i don't feel he knows them well enough to predict for them at all.

the three teams listed weren't predictions of final draft order, they were three teams predicted to possibly finish dead last. Buckner graded higher than Bosa, so why wouldn't either be options for San Diego AND Tennessee?

to me it seemed like the writer just wrote the entire piece hoping Buckner would end up in San Diego.

Give me a break.

yeah I don't get it either why people want to fist our draft with no lube by taking not just a QB, but a project QB. Another guy who we won't really see what he's got till year 2 or maybe even 3. Next year we need a defensive player that doesn't need to necessarily start, but needs to be a major part of the rotation next year. Khalil Mack not only started his rookie year but actually led the league or was close to leading the league in some categories. From what we've been told, this draft is defensively better than that one when he came out....soooooo why on earth would we not take a front 7 player when our front 7 has been virtually unwatcheable this season.

because QB is the most important position in football AND it is a position of need AND we HOPEFULLY wont have the opportunity to draft the top QB for the next 10 years. pair that with the fact the last couple of drafts the TOP defensive talents has played pretty shitty. some exceptions of course but for the most part pretty meh. and i think taking the player with the most POTENTIAL upside is the easier pill to swallow. i mean lets be honest here if pettine and o'neil stick around even if we draft a top flight defensive stud we will just waste his talents anyway

because QB is the most important position in football AND it is a position of need AND we HOPEFULLY wont have the opportunity to draft the top QB for the next 10 years. pair that with the fact the last couple of drafts the TOP defensive talents has played pretty shitty. some exceptions of course but for the most part pretty meh. and i think taking the player with the most POTENTIAL upside is the easier pill to swallow. i mean lets be honest here if pettine and o'neil stick around even if we draft a top flight defensive stud we will just waste his talents anyway

So because YOU feel we MUST take a QB, regardless of whether there is a sure-fire top flight guy, then we MUST take him. Great analysis based on the consensus of one poster with unknown qualifications to assess.

Winston 58.4% comp 3059 yds 18 td 11 int 184 rushing 5 td 85.4 QB Rating
Mariota 62.4% comp 2786 yds 19 td 10 int 252 rushing 2 td 91.9 QB Rating
Bortles 57.5% comp 3524 yds 30 td 13 int 261 rushing 1 td 88.4 QB Rating

seem pretty good to me

and 2015 had Fowler,Vic Beasley and Williams take before Shelton

Fowler got injured (unfortunate :( )

Williams 47 tackles and 2.5 sacks

Beasley 22 tackles and 3 sacks

Shelton 26 tackels and 0 sacks

stunning...

I dont see much in the way of prospects for 2017 qb class so this may be our last shot at a good one for 2-3 years. Look fact of the matter is we KNOW we gotta make a change at the helm its just going to happen 2 years is plenty of time to know if a prospect is going to work out or not. I see this as a near inevitable conclusion.

And one more minor point. I'm not a fan of the never-ending quarterback competition. Forgive me for one more rock and roll band allegory but some guys respond to a challenge and if they have been slacking off will put 100% into their performance and improve greatly. Other guys get beaten down by constantly having to look over their shoulder. It effects their attitude and their performance. You saw that with your boy Brian Hoyer.

WSS

I dont know if hoyer ever came back 100% from that knee injury :(. even in the texans games i have watched he's been a bit gunshy it seems. and agreed on the QB competition just play the best guy at seasons open until injury or benching is needed

another point here if we dont draft lynch I'm not going to be super sad and call it a mistake and be pissed the whole season. if we take say bosa or trade out of the first for like 3 number ones. it's going to be fine in 3-4 years another guy could be just as promising. shit maybe carson wentz is the next peyton manning.

What's up, Frisky?

oh, space stations, netflix stock, and irish setter tails i guess.

**tips hat**

You realize that if we draft a Senior QB, that he'll be the same age as JM?

ikr? it's pretty great. i genuinely believe in on-field Johnny. he finds open receivers, takes sacks and pressure like a boss, and cracks ipads like nobodies forehead.

but when Dr. Johnny drinks that elixer and transforms into Mr. JMZ...

it just doesn't seem like McCown's presence is enough to keep him on the straight and narrow. and if he and Austin don't scare him enough, maybe a QB taken first overall in 2016 will. the kid thrives inside pressure cookers. drafting competition and adding Flash Gordon back to his toolbox might just do the trick. and if not? still win/win.

If it's JM, it's JM... if it's not, then pray there's a worthy #1 QB on our board.

there's the rub, the unpredictable bitch variable. as a fan, we can only hope.

but what's the alternative? what if Johnny isn't "The One" and McCown gives us a 9-7 season and we are drafting 20th overall in 2017?

with a 1.5 Billion dollar company, i just dont think they can gamble and roll the dice with what they have like that. nor do they have the luxury of yet another year when they have top pick and a near guarantee at either Lynch or Goff.

McCown is clearly a great bridge but he's long in the tooth and obviously not the future. it is imperative the Browns do all they can to shore up the QB position once and for all right now while they have this opportunity. anything less is irresponsible.

with a business that large you gotta protect yourself as much as you can, control what you can control, minimize all the risks. 3 games just isn't enough time left to prove Johnny is the guy. not to mention potential durability issues like the AFCN creates every single year regardless of who is in there.

giving the keys to Johnny free and clear after all we've seen so far is just too risky. it's not fair to Johnny, it's not fair to the other players, it's not fair to the city and the fans, and it's not fair to the Browns legacy and former players.

they have to safeguard that position. they just HAVE to. future success depends and completely hinges upon it.

ok. i've beat this drum enough. now it's hurry up and wait...

Archived