THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Offseason/Drafting 2016

Harry Taintsniffer

How do you fans of the Browns want to see this year's draft and off season pan out?

I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking a QB. Is that really the answer though? Is Jared Goff going to be the franchise's savior? I have my doubts personally. Not because of anything Goff beings to the table, but because there are not many QB's in the league who can elevate a team by themselves.

This isn't to say that the Browns do not have some nice pieces, but I'd like to look to my own Cincinnati Bengals for what I consider a superior option for the Browns. Rather than spending another 1st round pick on a QB.

in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals selected AJ Green 4th overall, and waited until the 2nd round to select Andy Dalton as their plan for QB. Palmer wasn't coming back. We could have panicked and reached for someone like Ponder (like the Vikings), but we stuck to a plan. Get a solid, accurate, smart QB and build an offense around him. Coupled with a good defense that flashes signs of greatness, and the Bengals have been to the playoffs every year since.

The interesting thing for the Browns is that they actually are doing better at QB than the Bengals were prior to selecting Dalton. Palmer was gone, and we had nothing else beyond him. Austin Davis and Johnny Manziel are two young QBs who have shown flashes. Maybe they won't be elite, but I argue they do not have to be.

Next year the Browns get back Josh Gordon. Now, to rely on him would be a stretch, so I would still draft like he isn't there, but, that doesn't mean he won't have an impact in 2016. When on the field, he is an amazing talent.

With all of this said, how do the Browns accomplish what Cincinnati has seemingly done with Dalton and the offense being built around him while he has improved?

Is there a Stud WR worth taking in the early first round? Is there a Giovanni Benard or Jeremy Hill in the 2nd round that the Browns can grab? Personally I think a satellite back like Bernard to dump passes off to would do wonders for the Browns offense. Especially if Gordon can stretch the field,

Here is my admittedly amateur guess at what the Browns should look to do this year in the Draft in the first couple rounds.

Keep both Manziel and Davis. McCown is probably done.

This pains me to say it but... Hire Hue Jackson. Stick with him. Turning around a franchise won't be overnight, but I think he can do it. Especially on offense.

Round 1. Try to trade back and take Laquan Treadwell, WR Ole Miss. He is physical and can make tough catches. His injury in 2014 may be a concern, but he has appeared to make a full recovery. Joey Bosa would be considered, and he is a great talent. However, so is JJ Watt. Look at the Texans. Don't be the Texans. Build your Offense. Not saying to neglect the defense, but Offense should be number 1 priority with young QBs and their development.

Round 2. This is where the Browns have it a little easier than the Bengals. You don't have to find your "Andy Dalton" here. Maybe you can get back in the first to get Ezekiel Elliot, RB Ohio State? Assuming he goes in the bottom half of the 1st round. He won't be the Satellite back I described above, but there isn't anyone available like that without being a massive reach. I normally am reluctant to suggest taking Ohio State guys, they never seem to pan out for the Bengals. Silly reason I know, but it's all I got. Still, the guy flat out dominated, even when he was game-planned for. I wouldn't go to crazy to trade up to get him, but if he drops past 19-20, it probably should be considered.

After that you probably address Defense and Line Depth. You guys would know better than I though what your most pressing needs are. Still a lot of time obviously, and a lot can change between now and then.

Just thought I would throw it out there. It could be a really bad idea, but it's something to discuss. I know it sucks to talk about the draft in December, I lived through the 90s after all...

You realize you have just sealed your team's doom...

Maybe, but I hope that I don't have that kind of influence! Still, I better knock on wood!

Also, I know the Bengals aren't perfect. It's not as if they have had any real success when it matters, but I will take what they have done the last 4-5 years over not making the post season at all.

But I hope no one takes what I said the wrong way. I am not trying to exert any fan superiority over anyone. I personally think the Browns are better than their record. They do seem to have quit on Pettine though.

If they are going to hire Hue Jackson, then the need to take a QB. He's an offensive guy, and he has developed QB's before

I don't believe Zeke Elliot will drop to the second round. Derrick Henry may win the Heisman......and he, to me is either boom or bust.....either he is the next Eric Dickerson or the next Trent Richardson.

Elliot is not.......I think he will be a much more sure thing. Perhaps not as spectacular as Henry....if Henry comes out on the 50% good side...not the 50% bad side.

Elliot can block, catch, run, anything....and will be productive as a pro.

I don't believe Zeke Elliot will drop to the second round. Derrick Henry may win the Heisman......and he, to me is either boom or bust.....either he is the next Eric Dickerson or the next Trent Richardson.

Elliot is not.......I think he will be a much more sure thing. Perhaps not as spectacular as Henry....if Henry comes out on the 50% good side...not the 50% bad side.

Elliot can block, catch, run, anything....and will be productive as a pro.

You are right, but he may be available to grab at bottom half of first round. I don't like Henry myself. Ezekiel on the other hand should be a good back. Maybe even great.

yeah we'll be right back here next year if we make offense our priority. We scored a lot this year in case nobody noticed. Not every game but offense certainly wasn't what was make us pull our fucking hair out and want to run out to the woods and say things that would make the devil blush.

That is a fair point, but I still think with the young QBs on the roster, that you need more weapons. Not saying defense should be ignored. However, I was under the impression that the problem is the scheme, more than the players. Not to mention injuries to key components like Haden. Though I wouldn't know as well as Browns fans, so take that as you will.

If they are going to hire Hue Jackson, then the need to take a QB. He's an offensive guy, and he has developed QB's before

Not a bad point. But why not develop Davis or Manziel? Assuming the Browns front office doesn't like someone in the draft better. Though, there is no such thing as a sure prospect in the draft...

You are right, but he may be available to grab at bottom half of first round. I don't like Henry myself. Ezekiel on the other hand should be a good back. Maybe even great.

That is a fair point, but I still think with the young QBs on the roster, that you need more weapons. Not saying defense should be ignored. However, I was under the impression that the problem is the scheme, more than the players. Not to mention injuries to key components like Haden. Though I wouldn't know as well as Browns fans, so take that as you will.

Not a bad point. But why not develop Davis or Manziel? Assuming the Browns front office doesn't like someone in the draft better. Though, there is no such thing as a sure prospect in the draft...

Thing is- can we count on Manziel to fly right? No news on Gordon is good news in my book. By all accounts Josh is keeping his nose clean and working out like crazy.

Regarding the defense- Gip just pointed out in another thread, the Browns have set an NFL record giving up 24+ points 10 games in a row. That's way bad, and can't be solely attributed to scheme. I look for both Mingo and Kruger to get sent packing. We desperately need a linebacker the order of a Clay Matthews. None of our lbs would start for the Bengals, I fact the only one of our defensive players that might start for Cinci is a healthy Joe Haden.

The hits just keep coming. your 2016 FA ===FS T. Gipson ILB C. Robertson & T. Carder OLB S. Soloman K T. Coons RT M. Schwartz & A. Pasztor TE G. Barnidge CB Bademosi DT J. Meder WR's T. Benjamin, T. Pryor, D. Jennings Josh Gordon (pending appeal) C A. Mack (pending opt out or in @8mill.) Resigning in Cleveland? & your drafting who? Far to Early & you may want to call Duke "Zeke"?

How do you fans of the Browns want to see this year's draft and off season pan out?

I keep seeing mock drafts with the Browns taking a QB. Is that really the answer though? Is Jared Goff going to be the franchise's savior? I have my doubts personally. Not because of anything Goff beings to the table, but because there are not many QB's in the league who can elevate a team by themselves.

This isn't to say that the Browns do not have some nice pieces, but I'd like to look to my own Cincinnati Bengals for what I consider a superior option for the Browns. Rather than spending another 1st round pick on a QB.

in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals selected AJ Green 4th overall, and waited until the 2nd round to select Andy Dalton as their plan for QB. Palmer wasn't coming back. We could have panicked and reached for someone like Ponder (like the Vikings), but we stuck to a plan. Get a solid, accurate, smart QB and build an offense around him. Coupled with a good defense that flashes signs of greatness, and the Bengals have been to the playoffs every year since.

The interesting thing for the Browns is that they actually are doing better at QB than the Bengals were prior to selecting Dalton. Palmer was gone, and we had nothing else beyond him. Austin Davis and Johnny Manziel are two young QBs who have shown flashes. Maybe they won't be elite, but I argue they do not have to be.

Next year the Browns get back Josh Gordon. Now, to rely on him would be a stretch, so I would still draft like he isn't there, but, that doesn't mean he won't have an impact in 2016. When on the field, he is an amazing talent.

With all of this said, how do the Browns accomplish what Cincinnati has seemingly done with Dalton and the offense being built around him while he has improved?

Is there a Stud WR worth taking in the early first round? Is there a Giovanni Benard or Jeremy Hill in the 2nd round that the Browns can grab? Personally I think a satellite back like Bernard to dump passes off to would do wonders for the Browns offense. Especially if Gordon can stretch the field,

Here is my admittedly amateur guess at what the Browns should look to do this year in the Draft in the first couple rounds.

Keep both Manziel and Davis. McCown is probably done.

This pains me to say it but... Hire Hue Jackson. Stick with him. Turning around a franchise won't be overnight, but I think he can do it. Especially on offense.

Round 1. Try to trade back and take Laquan Treadwell, WR Ole Miss. He is physical and can make tough catches. His injury in 2014 may be a concern, but he has appeared to make a full recovery. Joey Bosa would be considered, and he is a great talent. However, so is JJ Watt. Look at the Texans. Don't be the Texans. Build your Offense. Not saying to neglect the defense, but Offense should be number 1 priority with young QBs and their development.

Round 2. This is where the Browns have it a little easier than the Bengals. You don't have to find your "Andy Dalton" here. Maybe you can get back in the first to get Ezekiel Elliot, RB Ohio State? Assuming he goes in the bottom half of the 1st round. He won't be the Satellite back I described above, but there isn't anyone available like that without being a massive reach. I normally am reluctant to suggest taking Ohio State guys, they never seem to pan out for the Bengals. Silly reason I know, but it's all I got. Still, the guy flat out dominated, even when he was game-planned for. I wouldn't go to crazy to trade up to get him, but if he drops past 19-20, it probably should be considered.

After that you probably address Defense and Line Depth. You guys would know better than I though what your most pressing needs are. Still a lot of time obviously, and a lot can change between now and then.

Just thought I would throw it out there. It could be a really bad idea, but it's something to discuss. I know it sucks to talk about the draft in December, I lived through the 90s after all...

I like it.

Mike

What scares me is hearing that our organization has people that are through with Josh Gordon and want to cut ties. The article I read didn't name anybody, but apparently there is some discrepancy among our management about what to do with him. It gets more complicated when you figure we'll have new components in our management, and lord knows how they'll feel.

Been hearing Hue Jackson's name from a few people, and I'd be fine with that. The real question to me is who will be our defensive coordinator?!

Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.

I hope you're right, but I doubt it. Crow is part of the problem, and I can't agree with any Duke-EZE comparisons.

Zeke is gonna be a good football player but RB is way down on the needs of this team. Also, RB's are often round in later rounds which is what I'd much prefer. As of this second, I'm all in on Jaylon Smith from ND. The Browns desperately need a guy on defense to rally behind, and Jaylon is a beast. He's a day one starter in our weakest position IMO (LB) and could be the leader in a hurry.

For the rest of the draft, I have two scenarios depending on the play of Manziel. If Manziel plays poorly, I get this gut feeling that Conner Cook is going to fall although he's IMO again the best QB in the draft. I'd be totally happy hopping back into the later first (but jesus christ not at 22!) to draft him even if that means couging up a high 2nd. If Manziel plays well, draft BPA between DE and WR with the 2nd round pick. Michael Thomas from the Buckeyes is an interesting prospect there at WR but I'm not in draft mode yet of guys I like or don't fully.

Since I only watch the Buckeyes by in large, a couple guys I'd love to see as well is Braxton Miller and Darron Lee (if he declares, hope he doesn't) if it works out.

Maybe he can't cover (not sure but I'll accept your premise), but he's damn sure stopping the run, and last I checked, that's what we need. Dansby can cover.

Again, accepting the premise...

Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.

Hence....Jaylon.....

Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....

Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....

You seen much of Bosa's coverage skills? I have not, just curious. He's been a 4-3 DE, so probably not used in coverage so much.

You seen much of Bosa's coverage skills? I have not, just curious. He's been a 4-3 DE, so probably not used in coverage so much.

Ive watch most of OSU's games and like Bosa ok....but not nearly as high on drafting him as others seem to be.....and definitely dont want him as an OLB.......we have too many DE's playing LB already.....

And i cant say Ive seen him really cover much, but doubt he has the speed for that in the NFL....

I just want multi skilled - 3 down OLBs......then, whatever.....

Hence....Jaylon.....

Hes as close to a 3 down player as were gonna get....

Run, rush & cover.....he does em all.....

I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?

I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?

That's interesting to ponder, I don't have a great answer but here's a pretty solid scouting report: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082844/jaylon-smith

I've only watched a half of a ND this season admittedly, but the guy just looks incredible out there. Quick and a tackling machine who has been making defensive calls for ND starting a true sophomore. The only negative I see actually is the fact that he won't even be legally allowed to buy a beer come draft day so hopefully youth and millions of dollars don't mix badly.

I don't think this guy has played hardly at all this year.......or am I confusing him with the guy from UCLA?

I don't think this guy has played hardly at all this year.......or am I confusing him with the guy from UCLA?

You're thinking of Miles Jack who tore his ACL. Gft, as I understand he plays both positions at ND but he projects because of his abilities to the OLB position which is way more coveted in today's NFL.

Pretty good write-up on him. Give me a guy who can call the D plays AND has the instincts to find the ball. If he can play like Sean Lee without the injuries (inside) or Von Miller (outside), then take him.

But trade down to get him if that is the Browns first choice guy.

Excellent post Bengal fan. From the short time I've been on this site most non Browns seem to come on here to wind us up, but your post was polite, well put together and has generated a very healthy discussion with no-one as yet attacking one another.

Archived