THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Offseason/Drafting 2016

Harry Taintsniffer

Again, accepting the premise...

Nothing wrong with pairing a pass with a run-leaning ILB. Problem I would have is spending a #1 on a one-dimensional ILB.

Here's PFF's assessment in their All-SEC article from yesterday:

"Ragland brings a strong all-around game to the table as he grades +10.7 against the run, +8.2 in coverage, and +9.3 as a rusher (three sacks, 5 hits, 10 hurries on 75 attempts)."

Unsympathetic wrong yet again. Glad we only accepted the premise for the sake of discussion.

I have not scouted him and watch very little ND (gag reflex) so take this with a grain of salt, but...

If Smith is as well rounded as you indicate, then why so few sacks, so few Pass Defenses and no INT's?

Well Tour, I cant answer that because I haven't watched enough of him either...(so, he's just my preliminary crush)....

But, my initial reaction is that he reminds me of the Mingo I saw at LSU....IE: flying all over the field....except he's a solid knock out tackler....

You seen much of Bosa's coverage skills? I have not, just curious. He's been a 4-3 DE, so probably not used in coverage so much.

bosa's been very good when they've dropped him into zone. He could play strong side OLB'er in a system that just drops him into zone, as those guys are basically DE's that standup a little and drop back 'some" but strictly into zone. That's how Armonty and Kruger should have been used. One of the reasons I "was" so high on Bosa was cause of his cover skills, I've seen him jump a route and bat a pass down without making contact with the receiver. I mean he's real 5 tool player no doubt, but don't want him here if he thinks Cleveland is a dirthole. You don't have to love the place but nobody like that is gonna be happy and productive if he thinks the city he plays is a shithole. He obviously thinks the people in Cleveland are shit as well even though he didn't outright say that, but it's clear what he thinks of this area.

But, my initial reaction is that he reminds me of the Mingo I saw at LSU...

Fair enough... at least I discovered I have another trigger for my gag reflex.

Here's PFF's assessment in their All-SEC article from yesterday:

"Ragland brings a strong all-around game to the table as he grades +10.7 against the run, +8.2 in coverage, and +9.3 as a rusher (three sacks, 5 hits, 10 hurries on 75 attempts)."

Unsympathetic wrong yet again. Glad we only accepted the premise for the sake of discussion.

Or, cbs sports analysis of him "He isn't the rangiest linebacker"

Or, walterfootball

"showing improved coverage skills in pass defense" - 11/21... but if you look at what they said on 8/24, "He is a big, physical in-the-box defender."

Ragland came to school as a 2-down LB and is improving this year against college TE's. He's not athletic enough for the NFL.

Go look at Kuechly's analysis on NFL.com = " He has the sudden burst and long speed to cover a very wide range" - and that is NOT what Ragland brings to the table. If the standard is Kuechly, which I think it is, Ragland is not in the same universe. Hopefully the final word on Ragland.. On walter.. "Sources say that Ragland is not a special athlete."

Why consider prospects who aren't both athletic and good at hitting? Jaylon Smith, Kentrell Brothers, Scooby Wright should be the order for looking at LB's to draft. Look at PFF's all-american list.. Smith/Brothers are the second team for all LB's, and the first team are underclassmen.

So.. you picked a rating system.. found Ragland.. and didn't think that maybe you should be promoting the guy [brothers] who finished ahead of that guy? With the very rating that you're using to say I'm wrong?

Mid round candidate for the conversion of 2pt OLB - Ex Buckeye Noah Spence.

You absolutely do NOT draft Bosa to play anything near a backer spot.

I saw the name pop up the other day and I wondered how he'd progressed. Probably worth a late round flier.

What scares me is hearing that our organization has people that are through with Josh Gordon and want to cut ties. The article I read didn't name anybody, but apparently there is some discrepancy among our management about what to do with him. It gets more complicated when you figure we'll have new components in our management, and lord knows how they'll feel.

Been hearing Hue Jackson's name from a few people, and I'd be fine with that. The real question to me is who will be our defensive coordinator?!

During his suspension, Gordon was subject to a maximum of 10 tests/month. He's been working his butt off to stay in shape. An article that doesn't name sources is certainly suspect. You don't get rid of an elite player like Gordon.

Or, cbs sports analysis of him "He isn't the rangiest linebacker"

Or, walterfootball

"showing improved coverage skills in pass defense" - 11/21... but if you look at what they said on 8/24, "He is a big, physical in-the-box defender."

Ragland came to school as a 2-down LB and is improving this year against college TE's. He's not athletic enough for the NFL.

Go look at Kuechly's analysis on NFL.com = " He has the sudden burst and long speed to cover a very wide range" - and that is NOT what Ragland brings to the table. If the standard is Kuechly, which I think it is, Ragland is not in the same universe. Hopefully the final word on Ragland.. On walter.. "Sources say that Ragland is not a special athlete."

Why consider prospects who aren't both athletic and good at hitting? Jaylon Smith, Kentrell Brothers, Scooby Wright should be the order for looking at LB's to draft. Look at PFF's all-american list.. Smith/Brothers are the second team for all LB's, and the first team are underclassmen.

So.. you picked a rating system.. found Ragland.. and didn't think that maybe you should be promoting the guy [brothers] who finished ahead of that guy? With the very rating that you're using to say I'm wrong?

Not really sure what to say here. Might want to look at your WF link again. They think Ragland is the #2 LB. Ahead of Brothers, Scooby, etc.

FTR, I have no problem with Brothers. I must have missed where you were advocating for him prior to this post though. I will say, Brothers doesn't play in a 3-4.

Your CBS link didn't work on my phone, but based on the URL, it was written in mid-September. Well, this was only Ragland's second year starting. Making sweeping judgments before a kid has even developed is not a great evaluation strategy.

Archived