THE BROWNS BOARD

Historically Bad Defense

The Gipper

It is my understanding that the current Cleveland Browns defense has set a new historic low in the history of the National Football League.

Since holding the Tennessee Titans to 10 points in the second game of the year, the Browns defense has now given up at least 24 points in 10 consecutive games.

And....apparently that is the first time in the history of the National Football League that has happened.

Not the winless Lions a few years back, not the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs.. Not no one, not no where, not no how.

While the Browns have not allowed the most points in the league this year....the Saints have allowed more.....apparently they do now hold this record.

And with this knowledge.....is there anyone here that believes that Jim O'neil should not be relieved of his duties as DC?

I mean....how can you do any worse than "Worst ever?"

This may become the worst defense in the history of the Browns....in terms of where they are ranked in the leagues worst defenses in pts. allowed.

They are now 31st. Next to last. They could tie the 1990, and 1974 Browns who finished last in the league in giving up the most points.

The most points give up by the Browns in a season was the 462 given up in 1990. That is 28.875 pts. per game. This team has already given up 347 points through 12 games....or 28.916 pts. per game. Which would likely be the worst in Browns history.

(even the 2008 Browns that went 4-12 gave up a total of 350 pts. in 16 games)

Already the Browns have their 5th worst overall season negative point differential. In 2000 they were -258 pts....in 16 games. Already they are negative 131 points....through 12 games. Only in 1990, 1975 and 1990 did they have a worse total point differential.

And....to me....it is almost all coaching.

As someone noted....how could 5 productive Pro Bowlers on the defense have gone so bad all at once.

I think what hurts most of all is hearing ALL offseason about how much better we'll be against the run, and how aggressive our defense will be, and how we'll be implementing "graduate level" schemes, and blah blah blah. What really hurts is that the fans and ownership was promised the complete opposite of what we got. I can understand not being able to follow through on SOME things, but this team hasn't accomplished ANYTHING it was supposed to. Worse yet, we don't have much young talent to build our team around. What little we do, Gordon and Manziel, are linked to behavior and substance problems. I guess Bitonio is a young player with potential, but he's a guard. Nice to have, but not somebody we can build a team around.

I think what hurts most of all is hearing ALL offseason about how much better we'll be against the run, and how aggressive our defense will be, and how we'll be implementing "graduate level" schemes, and blah blah blah. What really hurts is that the fans and ownership was promised the complete opposite of what we got. I can understand not being able to follow through on SOME things, but this team hasn't accomplished ANYTHING it was supposed to. Worse yet, we don't have much young talent to build our team around. What little we do, Gordon and Manziel, are linked to behavior and substance problems. I guess Bitonio is a young player with potential, but he's a guard. Nice to have, but not somebody we can build a team around.

Well, perhaps we will have Joey Bosa.

bitonio is not bad but i have seen him get his ass kicked alot. but again, he's young....

What happened to the secondary? Joe Haden hasn't played but he's overrated anyway. He let Amari Cooper have a field day. I thought with all these draft picks we had depth! Also, Tashon Gipson isn't performing either do to injuries or whatever.

I cringe when opponents have a third and long. Do you have any stats on third and long? It seems they really suck on stopping teams and teams know it.

The way they look during games doesn't lend to any optimism things can change quickly. What happened to depth? Teams can throw, run and block them like they were playing against a high school team.

Farmer isn't cutting it. Would I give to have two of the players he passed on. Mack, Barr, Ray, Dupree, Carr, are playing well for their teams.

They won't beat the 49ers either. Blane Gabbert, Shaun Draugn, Torrey Smith, will beat us. Cast offs. Just like Baltimore playing without NINE starters including their QB. It's been ugly! Haslam needs to apologize to Cleveland.

Archived