THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Speech and Microaggression on college campuses

It's screwed up that pretty much all of the majors cost the same (slight variance between colleges, but generally cost is about the same)

You can get in the hole like $50,000 to get a liberal arts degree that isn't even good for a management position at McDonalds.

Haha. That got me thinking, if you are a theater major what would be the benefit of getting a masters?

Not much unless you are planning to teach and possibly run a theatre department in a school that has one. If you were deep into the theatre arts, stage construction etc you might have a leg up on the competition with the stage hands Union.

As a performer I would guess the most valuable experience would come from networking, especially if you studied in New York.

That and on stage experience. Anywhere you get to use your chops makes you better.

Hell as a matter of fact a bachelors isn't worth very much if you plan to act.

Not much unless you are planning to teach and possibly run a theatre department in a school that has one. If you were deep into the theatre arts, stage construction etc you might have a leg up on the competition with the stage hands Union.

As a performer I would guess the most valuable experience would come from networking, especially if you studied in New York.

Hell as a matter of fact a bachelors isn't worth very much if you plan to act.

Yeah I wouldn't think that getting a degree would matter all that much unless it is some mind blowing acting school. Like doing trades, actually doing the job is more valuable than class room education.

Yeah I wouldn't think that getting a degree would matter all that much unless it is some mind blowing acting school. Like doing trades, actually doing the job is more valuable than class room education.

No doubt. The thing about being in New York is let's say you are in the same class with Gene Hackman or Dustin Hoffman or Robert De Niro...

As for experience indeed, I often argue with kids who refused to play cover songs and would rather work on the originals in a basement. I tell them any stage experience makes you better and you can use those skills when the time comes to play your own music. That's better for your craft than 40 hours a week at Lowes.

WSS

I think that's true for almost any job. I hardly use any of the detailed knowledge I got at school. Just the high level stuff

I think that's true for almost any job. I hardly use any of the detailed knowledge I got at school. Just the high level stuff

Disagreeing over here. I use a lot of the details I got in my masters, frequently.

Another large part of it is also learning a different way of handling projects/tasks, so it isn't necessarily the content, but the skills you have acquired to pass the masters.

I use "problem solving" "communication" and other broad skills that I developed in school, but not necessarily Differential Equations or Heat Transfer. That's what I meant.

But I'm in manufacturing, not design work.

I need for example to identify why a yield curve looks a certain way, what are the driving factors, do the results we're getting make sense. None of that I could have done without my masters.

Your obsession with me is creepy woodygaypeckerhead

nah. you have a serious and glaring lack of self-awareness of how

you screw with people. I respond to you in self-defense.

Once more...you started smarting off to me again, you always do,

you don't have anything else to add to this forum except for interpersonal bickering.

You start it, I finish it. Then I forget about it, and later, you start your assholeness up again,

and then I start teaching you again, to stop your woodygaypeckerheadish garbage.

When will you ever learn? Apparently, never. The rest of the board would probably appreciate it

if you would knock it off.

Oh, and btw, you know you are making yourself be a victim, so you can claim victimhood

like the weasel liberal pantywaist that you are?

It's what liberal pantywaists do. Now, STFU, stop your crap and leave my stuff on the board alone.

Archived