THE BROWNS BOARD

Team color vs team name sake

BrownsfaninPa

The Cleveland Browns were based on their long time coach Paul Brown. The team color of brown also was connected to the coach. Paul Brown left the Browns team and created a new team in Cincinnati. Decades have passed and the Paul Brown family has no connection to the team in Cleveland. Could the new ownership of the team have the right to change the team name if they wanted, an keep the team colors of brown, orange and white?

If the team name BROWNS were to be changed, what name would you come up with? THE CLEVELAND _______ ???

Keeping with our infamous endzone fan section the DAWG POUND, Would the Cleveland Canines be appropriate ??

The Cleveland Wicker Baskets.

It would be customary to bring a wicker basket to the game with goodies filled inside them. At the end of the season the fans can vote MVB. Most valuable basket. Also the game vs the Bengals can be played call it the Basketbowl.

The Cleveland Browns are one of the top 5 oldest NFL teams in the league. Starting back in 1946. This team has had many championships, and playoff wins. Many successful seasons, and many forgettable seasons. This season adds to that losing column. With a fairly new ownership, its time for a major overhaul with the teams historic existence . First, is get rid of the old ways and bring in a fresh new program. The new ownership made a big move by giving this team a completely new looking uniform, and it does look nice. My only dislike of the uniform is the orange numbers on the brown, and white jerseys. The brown jersey should have white numbers, and the white jersey should have brown numbers.

Also, perhaps a change in the teams name. Keeping the team colors and historic records, but maybe let go the team name BROWNS, and perhaps change it to a nick-name like all the other team names.

If a name change was to take place, I would keep the endzone fan section, our famous Dawgpound name remains, but with that following, change our team name to the Cleveland Canines.

The Cleveland Browns are one of the top 5 oldest NFL teams in the league. Starting back in 1946.

Actually, all of the following teams are older than the Browns: Bears/Cardinals/Rams/Lions/Giants/Eagles/Redskins/Steelers/Packers.

49ers are the same age.

This team has had many championships, and playoff wins. Many successful seasons, and many forgettable seasons. This season adds to that losing column. With a fairly new ownership, its time for a major overhaul with the teams historic existence . First, is get rid of the old ways and bring in a fresh new program. The new ownership made a big move by giving this team a completely new looking uniform, and it does look nice. My only dislike of the uniform is the orange numbers on the brown, and white jerseys. The brown jersey should have white numbers, and the white jersey should have brown numbers.

I wish they would go back to the traditional uniforms. They were much better looking than this mess.

Also, perhaps a change in the teams name. Keeping the team colors and historic records, but maybe let go the team name BROWNS, and perhaps change it to a nick-name like all the other team names.

If a name change was to take place, I would keep the endzone fan section, our famous Dawgpound name remains, but with that following, change our team name to the Cleveland Canines.

No, no need for a change of name. They just need to be operated better and play better. We had this discussion elsewhere....If a team that is bad do you change its name when it starts to play good? No, that would be absurd.

a serious suggestion would be the wolves or dogs, I dunno. If there was some reasonable expectation that this shit show would end if we rebranded...i'd entertain the ide. But doing it just to rebrand and things remain the same.....nah

Dogs are already part of your brand, plus dogs have too many negatives...butt hole sniffers, toilet water drinkers, vomit eaters, plus they lick their own private parts (now thats talent!).

And instead of calling you the Cleveland Dogs, they'd be calling you the Cleveland Underdogs.

On second thought "dogs" has the same connotation as "underdogs".lol

Cleveland is the Rock & Roll capitol so how about the Cleveland Rocks?

Dogs are already part of your brand, plus dogs have too many negatives...butt hole sniffers, toilet water drinkers, vomit eaters, plus they lick their own private parts (now thats talent!).

And instead of calling you the Cleveland Dogs, they'd be calling you the Cleveland Underdogs.

On second thought "dogs" has the same connotation as "underdogs".lol

Cleveland is the Rock & Roll capitol so how about the Cleveland Rocks?

The discussion came up when it was still a question mark about the "Browns" being retained here.

By far the largest consensus on a possible alternate name was "The Cleveland Bulldogs". And it was simply a matter of tradition.

The Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs won the NFL Championship in 1923/1924/1925.

So, the restoration of that traditional name....to me....would have been the only viable option in terms of a team name.

But that didn't happen so we don't have to worry about it......and this team is not going to change its name any more than whatever team you root for will.

The discussion came up when it was still a question mark about the "Browns" being retained here.

By far the largest consensus on a possible alternate name was "The Cleveland Bulldogs". And it was simply a matter of tradition.

The Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs won the NFL Championship in 1923/1924/1925.

So, the restoration of that traditional name....to me....would have been the only viable option in terms of a team name.

But that didn't happen so we don't have to worry about it......and this team is not going to change its name any more than whatever team you root for will.

Agree 100% cant argue with any of that...just patronizing the thread topic.

I still like the Cleveland Rocks! Hard to visualize a logo though.

The Cleveland Browns are one of the top 5 oldest NFL teams in the league. Starting back in 1946.

Actually, all of the following teams are older than the Browns: Bears/Cardinals/Rams/Lions/Giants/Eagles/Redskins/Steelers/Packers. 49ers are the same age.

This team has had many championships, and playoff wins. Many successful seasons, and many forgettable seasons. This season adds to that losing column. With a fairly new ownership, its time for a major overhaul with the teams historic existence . First, is get rid of the old ways and bring in a fresh new program. The new ownership made a big move by giving this team a completely new looking uniform, and it does look nice. My only dislike of the uniform is the orange numbers on the brown, and white jerseys. The brown jersey should have white numbers, and the white jersey should have brown numbers.

I wish they would go back to the traditional uniforms. They were much better looking than this mess.

No, no need for a change of name. They just need to be operated better and play better. We had this discussion elsewhere....If a team that is bad do you change its name when it starts to play good? No, that would be absurd.

Beat me to it on NFL history Gip.

As to a name change, too late for that, been the "Browns" since 1946. Now if you want to start another (and more interesting discussion) we can bitch why the Bidwells didn't change the franchise name "Cardinals" into something more apropo to Arizona- like the Rattlers or Scorpions. (Yeah, I know Cardinals is the oldest NFL name, but that should have been left behind in Chicago or certainly St Louis. Arizona Cardinals is even dumber than the Utah Jazz- Pioneers would have been far better. Just my 0.02 :)

Cleveland Bulldogs is the only alternative to the Browns imo. I can see why there would be an interest in changing the Browns since the Brown family are Bungals, but it does increase the divisional rivalries somehow. That is definitely a question only you natives can decide on though! How realistic is it in the near future for something like this to happen and is it discussed in the local press?

Cleveland Bulldogs is the only alternative to the Browns imo. I can see why there would be an interest in changing the Browns since the Brown family are Bungals, but it does increase the divisional rivalries somehow. That is definitely a question only you natives can decide on though! How realistic is it in the near future for something like this to happen and is it discussed in the local press?

Keeping the Browns name may be just another way to stick it in Mike Brown's ear.

But perhaps you don't know DD.....the Brown family contends.....perhaps rightly....that the Browns are NOT named after Paul Brown:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/were-the-cleveland-browns-named-after-boxer-joe-louis.html

Keeping the Browns name may be just another way to stick it in Mike Brown's ear.

But perhaps you don't know DD.....the Brown family contends.....perhaps rightly....that the Browns are NOT named after Paul Brown:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/12/were-the-cleveland-browns-named-after-boxer-joe-louis.html

So if this were true we'd have teams dubiously named poorly as two different minorities. No wonder we can't win.

Archived