THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Receivers - 2016

MedinaDawg

I'm actually pretty psyched about the receivers we can put on the field next year and don't really see the need to address the position in the draft.

We've got Josh Gordon coming back and word is he's been working out hard in preparation for his return. He is absolutely an "elite" reeiver and I'm sure he has his life on track now.

The Browns should invest everything they can in the off-season developement of Pryor as a receiver. At 6'4" (maybe 6'5") he can run sub-4.4. He has absolutely freakish athleticism. If power forward basketball players can be transformed into tight-ends, how difficult could it be to improve his route running and ability to create separation?

With Pryor, Gordon and Benjamin all able to take corners way down field, how do then cover our intermediate receivers: Barnidge, Hartline, Dawkins and Gabriel?

No, I think our group of receivers will be a strenght next year and see no reason to draft a WR.

JMO

You meant Hawkins.

Well....I think that having Gordon back.....having Pryor....are all fine and hopefully one or both will play well. We can't be any worse off.

Add a high round WR draft pick to them....and, hell, maybe we could actually have some playmakers.

(I don't know contract statuses, but if Hartline left, he could probably be easily replaceable in FA.

He didn't exactly thrill me with his short performance last year.

I'm not certain, but I think Hartline only signed a 1 yr deal.

Agree with the thrill deficit, but two things hurt Gordon's 2014... the long delay between camp and playing, and limited QB arms.

Eliminating the first factor is on him (assuming the NFL does not drag out his reinstatement as long as it did his hearing under the new CBA). Clearly we're in better shape with the latter factor.

And Hart is ours through 2016...

http://overthecap.com/player/brian-hartline/671/

Gordon is the reason why we may draft Laquan Treadwell from Old Miss. With Gordon & Treadwell wide leaves Benji in slot with Barney at TE. Josh or JM got weapons to spread the field. If Gordon wants to bitch contract length or goes stupid. Treadwell & Benji wide with Hart, hawk or gabe in slot is not a bad plan either. imo I don't trust Gordon at all. pending FO or Josh I see a draft day trade if not before a off season trade. Gordon owes this organization a lot in Loyalty to sticking with him, but he's Gordon with a whack job agent.. Tick Tock..

With Gordon coming back, the emergence of Benjamin, and the Pro-Bowl worthy performance by Barnidge, I can't see spending a high draft pick on another WR who may only see a handful of throws come his way during a game.

Can you put any more trust in Gordon? The Browns have for the last 2 years, and what did that get them? The guy is one bong hit away from a permanent vacation from the NFL. My opinion is he doesn't want to play in Cleveland anymore. If we draft a WR in the first couple of rounds, that will be a pretty good plan "B" if josh decides to go Cheech & Chong on us.

Can you put any more trust in Gordon? The Browns have for the last 2 years, and what did that get them? The guy is one bong hit away from a permanent vacation from the NFL. My opinion is he doesn't want to play in Cleveland anymore. If we draft a WR in the first couple of rounds, that will be a pretty good plan "B" if josh decides to go Cheech & Chong on us.

I know, but let's not forget that he was suspended for a year for having a couple of drinks. I don't know of anyone who thinks the punishment fit the infraction.

I know, but let's not forget that he was suspended for a year for having a couple of drinks. I don't know of anyone who thinks the punishment fit the infraction.

Gordon's Weed college to pro, Cough Medicine, 2nd hand smoke than DUI in NC, than drinks before his suspension ends. You tell us how you can count on this guy??

Gordon's Weed college to pro, Cough Medicine, 2nd hand smoke than DUI in NC, than drinks before his suspension ends. You tell us how you can count on this guy??

I just think the year-long suspension will have him on the straight-and-narrow road. He's had plenty of time to reflect on it and knows he gone for good with one more screw-up. I think putting your faith in Gordon is the safer bet than those still clamoring for Manziel. Gordon has been tested up to 10 times per month during his suspension.

"Gordon will be tested up to 10 times per month during his ban and must stay clean if he hopes to be re-instated. After a year is up, he can apply for re-instatement to the NFL with Commissioner Roger Goodell."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/02/josh_gordon_suspended_by_the_n.html

I just think the year-long suspension will have him on the straight-and-narrow road. He's had plenty of time to reflect on it and knows he gone for good with one more screw-up. I think putting your faith in Gordon is the safer bet than those still clamoring for Manziel. I wonder if he had to go through any drug testing during his suspension?

He most likely had to be tested. I'm sure the court ordered some regarding his dui. I don't know if the league did or not

I just think the year-long suspension will have him on the straight-and-narrow road. He's had plenty of time to reflect on it and knows he gone for good with one more screw-up. I think putting your faith in Gordon is the safer bet than those still clamoring for Manziel. I wonder if he had to go through any drug testing during his suspension?

As a browns fan I pull for both. But one day JM pointed the finger at himself. That Josh cant do. Sure they both get tested.

I predict neither Pryor or Hartline will be on the team next year. I think Pryor struggles with the mental aspect of football and my guess is that his overall receiver skills are lacking. If the Pats couldn't find a use with him, then there is something wrong. Hartline has just been unimpressive frankly. I rather drop an older and slow WR for a young guy in the draft. If the last few years around the league have showed us anything, its that top level wrs in college can make an immediate impact.

If the last few years around the league have showed us anything, its that top level wrs in college can make an immediate impact.

Our illustrious GM respectfully (or not) disagrees with everything in that statement- go figure huh?

It's the main reason I want him gone. Plus Bowe whose greatest impact is on the gatoraide containers.

Agree with the thrill deficit, but two things hurt Gordon's 2014... the long delay between camp and playing, and limited QB arms.

Eliminating the first factor is on him (assuming the NFL does not drag out his reinstatement as long as it did his hearing under the new CBA). Clearly we're in better shape with the latter factor.

How much time do they have to get in sync with any of the quarterbacks? I think that was a big problem coming back in cold.

If Pet, or whoever, can bring himself to choose one in the preseason...

WSS

I don't like Pryor! He was dishonest after the Orange bowl and said he was coming back for his final year. He ditched! Five players were suspended and a coach lost his job. Pryor is poison!

How much time do they have to get in sync with any of the quarterbacks? I think that was a big problem coming back in cold.

If Pet, or whoever, can bring himself to choose one in the preseason...

Undoubtedly that was a factor for JG in 2014.

Looking forward, I'd imagine McC would enter 2016 camp as #1. Mostly because 1's will get less work than 2's early Pre-season. If JM is here, I foresee another real QB battle. In any case I'd expect a game rusty JG to see more field time than most of the other 1st teamers.

Undoubtedly that was a factor for JG in 2014.

Looking forward, I'd imagine McC would enter 2016 camp as #1. Mostly because 1's will get less work than 2's early Pre-season. If JM is here, I foresee another real QB battle. In any case I'd expect a game rusty JG to see more field time than most of the other 1st teamers.

Unless it's Gruden at HC.

;)

WSS

I'm a Gordon supporter, but last year was on him.

Deandre Hopkins managing with that limited arm.

Zombo

I've said it too many times on this board, but I'll say it again. I have hope for Gordon, and if/when he comes back, it would change the entire dynamic of our WR's. Defenses will absolutely have to double Gordon, or at the very least, shift help over his way. That creates opportunities for Benji and our emerging Barnidge, and whoever else we have next year. Gordon is the type of guy that can take a normal pass and take it to the house. I'm not saying he can do it every game, or that it will happen often, but he has that kind of ability, and that's what we're sorely lacking.

Since I'm feeling in a ridiculously optimistic mood, I'll take it a step further. How about Pryor? I don't expect much from him during these four games, but what excites me is hearing that he reported last week in basically the best physical shape possible. He didn't get down on himself, he only worked harder. So if he's on our team, how hard is this guy going to work during the offseason? He's probably going to report to mini camp looking even better, and by the time camp comes around, who knows? Listen, I'm not saying Pryor is going to be great or anything, but anyone with his immense physical gifts has a chance, and that chance is augmented when the individual has tremendous work ethic.

So we have Benji, Gordon, Pryor, and Hawkins. That's a combination of size, speed, and homerun talent (I hope). And yes, I understand how ridiculous I sound, but I don't feel like singing the blues right now. Eventually things will work out, and it will take a bit of luck for the pieces to come together.

If Gordon gets hurt and/or Pryor doesn't pan out...

of course you have to draft a WR. Maybe not the first round...who knows.

Well sure, drafting a WR somewhere in the draft makes sense, but not with your first pick. I think with Gordon, Benjamin and Barnidge out there, Pryor is going to have an easier time finding himself open. I like the thought of Gordon, Barnidge and Pryor in the red-zone, all together.

Archived