THE BROWNS BOARD

Greatest Athlete from Each State

The Gipper

I referenced it in my love it or shove it post. Here are the people that were chosen for each state:

Alabama: Hank Aaron

Alaska: Curt Schilling

Arizona: Randall McDaniel

Arkansas: Scottie Pippin

California: Joe DiMaggio

Colorado: Jack Dempsey

Connecticut: Calvin Murphy

Delaware: Randy White

Florida: Emmit Smith

Georgia: Ty Cobb

Hawaii: Duke Kahanamoku

Idaho: Harmon Killebrew

Illinois: Dick Butkus

Indiana: Larry Bird

Iowa: Dan Gable

Kansas: Barry Sanders

Kentucky: Muhammed Ali

Louisiana: Peyton Manning

Maine: Joan Benoit

Maryland: Babe Ruth

Massachussetts: Rocky Marciano

Michigan: Magic Johnson

Minnesota: Kevin McHale

Mississippi: Walter Payton

Missouri: Cal Hubbard

Montana: Phil Jackson

Nebraska: Bob Gibson

Nevada: Andre Agassi

New Hampshire: Bode Miller

New Jersey: Derek Jeter

New Mexico: Ronnie Lott

New York: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

North Carolina: Michael Jordan

North Dakota: Roger Maris

Ohio: Jack Nicklaus

Oklahoma: Jim Thorpe

Oregon: Danny Ainge

Pennsylvania: Joe Montana

Rhode Island: Napolean Lajoie

South Carolina: Kevin Garnnett

South Dakota: Dallas Clark

Tennessee: Reggie White

Texas: Joe Greene

Utah: Steve Young

Vermont: Carlton Fisk

Virginia: Lawrence Taylor

Washington: John Elway

West Virginia: Randy Moss

Wisconsin: Eric Heiden

Wyoming: Rulon Gardner

Let us know if you have any issues with any of these choices.

I referenced it in my love it or shove it post. Here are the people that were chosen for each state:

A few of my comments on these.

Alabama: Hank Aaron

Alaska: Curt Schilling

Arizona: Randall McDaniel

Arkansas: Scottie Pippin...Pippin good...but is this really the best the state of Ark. has ever put out?

California: Joe DiMaggio....has to be a lot of competition....but I won't argue with this.

Colorado: Jack Dempsey

Connecticut: Calvin Murphy...see my note below about Steve Young

Delaware: Randy White

Florida: Emmit Smith

Georgia: Ty Cobb

Hawaii: Duke Kahanamoku

Idaho: Harmon Killebrew

Illinois: Dick Butkus...Otto Graham is from Illinois....as good as Butkus was, OG better imo

Indiana: Larry Bird

Iowa: Dan Gable

Kansas: Barry Sanders...does he beat out fellow Kansan and similar player Gale Sayers?

Kentucky: Muhammed Ali

Louisiana: Peyton Manning

Maine: Joan Benoit

Maryland: Babe Ruth

Massachussetts: Rocky Marciano

Michigan: Magic Johnson

Minnesota: Kevin McHale

Mississippi: Walter Payton

Missouri: Cal Hubbard only person in both PFHOF an Baseball HOF...so I guess fitting.

Montana: Phil Jackson...he was great as a coach....but as a player/athlete...I am not so sure. Jerry Kramer perhaps better choice

Nebraska: Bob Gibson

Nevada: Andre Agassi...is this the best Nevada can do? Greg Maddux was not born but grew up in Nevada.

New Hampshire: Bode Miller

New Jersey: Derek Jeter

New Mexico: Ronnie Lott

New York: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

North Carolina: Michael Jordan

North Dakota: Roger Maris

Ohio: Jack Nicklaus....as noted elsewhere.....Jesse Owens gives him a run for his money (LeBron? Only if he bring us a few titles)

Oklahoma: Jim Thorpe...no problem....but Mickey Mantle a good second.

Oregon: Danny Ainge....Steve Prefontaine is god like in ORE

Pennsylvania: Joe Montana

Rhode Island: Napolean Lajoie

South Carolina: Kevin Garnnett

South Dakota: Dallas Clark

Tennessee: Reggie White

Texas: Joe Greene

Utah: Steve Young...Steve Young is not from Utah....he grew up in Connecticut....just went to college in Utah at BYU. If you go by where they went to college then Joe Montana should be considered to be from Indiana....or Lawrence Taylor from N. Carolina, Kareem from Calif. etc. etc. Merlin Olsen a better choice

Vermont: Carlton Fisk

Virginia: Lawrence Taylor

Washington: John Elway

West Virginia: Randy Moss....I would have gone with The Logo....Zeke from Cabin Creek.....Jerry West.

Wisconsin: Eric Heiden

Wyoming: Rulon Gardner

Let us know if you have any issues with any of these choices.

According to Wikipedia, Steve Young was born in Utah

OK, but he must have left there at an early age:

Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, Young attended Greenwich High School in Greenwich, Connecticut. He earned 1978 All-FCIAC West Division First Team honors in his junior year, his first year starting at quarterback for the Cardinals, under head coach Mike Ornato. In 1979, he once again earned All-FCIAC West Division First Team honors, along with CIAC All-State honors, rushing for 13 touchdowns. In two seasons, he ran the ball 267 times for 1,928 yards. In the option offense run by Greenwich, passing was always the second option; he completed only 41 percent of his throws for 1,220 yards. On Thanksgiving Day in November 1979, Steve was Quarterback for Greenwich High School starting in the F.C.I.A.C (Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference) Championship Game. In that FCIAC game, Greenwich High lost to Darien High School, known for its "Tidal Wave Defense" by the score of 17-0. During his senior year he was co-captain of the football, basketball and baseball teams. In basketball, he averaged 15 points a game. In baseball, he hit .384 and played center field when he wasn't pitching. He was 5-1 and threw a 3-0 no-hitter against New Canaan High School.

Great topic.

I think you gotta go Jim Brown over Ty Cobb from Georgia.

Joe Montana is debatable. Athletes such as Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, Johnny Unitas, Arnold Palmer came out of Pa.

There really is no right or wrong IMO.

Although golf isn't really an athletic event.

Athlete? Sorry, as much as I love golf... that just wouldn't qualify.

Jesse Owens or Lebron would be my pick.

Here. Educate yourself. She was great at basketball, baseball, softball, pocket billiards, javelin, high jump, hurdles, diving, roller skating and bowling. She just made her living in golf because back then it was the only one that paid worth a damn for a woman. She was a phenomenal athlete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Didrikson_Zaharias

Wisconsin- Eric Heiden, might be 100 speed skaters in the World(99 in Wisconsin). Joe Thomas over JJ Watt.. NC honorary mention to Rick Flair WHHooo!

Here. Educate yourself. She was great at basketball, baseball, softball, pocket billiards, javelin, high jump, hurdles, diving, roller skating and bowling. She just made her living in golf because back then it was the only one that paid worth a damn for a woman. She was a phenomenal athlete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Didrikson_Zaharias

Again, I'm well aware its possible to be an athlete yet play golf. However if you're listed as being the best 'athlete' in your state based on dominating a single game - and that game being golf... then I just can't acknowledge that.

Again, I'm well aware its possible to be an athlete yet play golf. However if you're listed as being the best 'athlete' in your state based on dominating a single game - and that game being golf... then I just can't acknowledge that.

She dominated every damn sport she ever played at the highest level available at that time. I'd say that is a far greater athlete than one who only has one sport. We have two very different definitions of "athlete". Yours is far more restrictive and IMHO far less accurate.

The truth is, an athlete is a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise. Based on this, a golfer cannot be on this list, golf is not a sport but rather a game as it does not require rigorous physical activity, and can be played professionally by people who are overweight, injured, and especially non-athletic.

The truth is, an athlete is a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise. Based on this, a golfer cannot be on this list, golf is not a sport but rather a game as it does not require rigorous physical activity, and can be played professionally by people who are overweight, injured, and especially non-athletic.

So Babe Ruth was not an athlete. Right!

All day JT. count the pro bowls. Watt still in puberty ;).

Interior O linemen are grunts. Watt has a much greater skill set than JT. But if you want to crown a grunt as the "greatest athlete" to ever come out of a certain state then you have to go with the man many consider the best center to ever play the game...Wisconsin native and former Pittsburgh Steelers center Mike Webster.

But you're right about Watt being young, hence it seems we are only projecting that Watt COULD BE the greatest ever to come out Wisconsin, but as a 9 time pro bowler, 4 time SB winner that paved the way for Franco Harris, I would have to go with Mike Webster as the greatest athlete to come out of Wisconsin...ahead of Watt or JT.

By light years.

So Babe Ruth was not an athlete. Right!

Right.

"Im not an athlete, I'm a professional baseball player." - John Kruck Phillies

"We're not athletes, we're baseball players." - Tom Selleck in the movie Mr. Baseball

Baseball players are like race car drivers and golfers...they have a great skill, but aren't really all that athletic.

Kruck was similar to Babe Ruth in that he was a slow fat slob like Babe Ruth.

Right."Im not an athlete, I'm a professional baseball player." - John Kruck Phillies

"We're not athletes, we're baseball players." - Tom Selleck in the movie Mr. Baseball

Baseball players are like race car drivers and golfers...they have a great skill, but aren't really all that athletic.

Kruck was similar to Babe Ruth in that he was a slow fat slob like Babe Ruth.

So if a 6ft 5 guy can throw a baseball 99mph...he's not an athlete?..smh

So if a 6ft 5 guy can throw a baseball 99mph...he's not an athlete?..smh

Being good at one thing doesn't make you an athlete, it makes you good at one thing. Being able to do a bunch of things that cover across different sports - throw well, run well, jump well, kick well, be strong, run for a long time - these are things that make you an athlete.

Being good at one thing doesn't make you an athlete, it makes you good at one thing. Being able to do a bunch of things that cover across different sports - throw well, run well, jump well, kick well, be strong, run for a long time - these are things that make you an athlete.

Thanks for reinforcing my case for the other Babe Chris. A great athlete at multiple sports just like Jim Thorp and the great lacrosse player, Jim Brown.

Great topic.

I think you gotta go Jim Brown over Ty Cobb from Georgia.

Joe Montana is debatable. Athletes such as Wilt Chamberlain, Kobe Bryant, Johnny Unitas, Arnold Palmer came out of Pa.

There really is no right or wrong IMO.

Although golf isn't really an athletic event.

Good arguments there on PA and GA.....certainly debatable.

Minnesota = Dave Winfield

Arguable, yes.

Alabama = Bo Jackson

Not arguable. As a speciman, sure, Bo would rank....but for actual accomplishment on the field (as a pro)....he can't touch Hank Aaron.

That brings up an interesting point....what about a great athlete that was injured and had to leave the game early.

I mean, Marcus Dupree may have been a greater pure athlete...even pure runner... than Walter Payton....but Payton endured and played at a high level for a long time. Dupree got injured badly and could not continue his career. So who gets the nod for the state of Mississippi? Payton would

(But Hell, the alternate answer to that could actually be: Brett Favre)

Archived